Any old time catch guys still alive?

Anyone alive who learned extensively from Billy Robinson's teacher (Billy Riley I believe) or from Robinson and can teach as close to how he did?

Calhoon - 
Denis Kelly -

I know several people in the uk who have been working to bring back catch wrestling. They told me that the original old style catch wrestling gyms all pretty much switched to teaching international freestyle rules probably around the 70s or 80s. This is because there was really no interest in Catch. I imagine it's similar to the way many traditional martial arts schools are switching to mma, bjj and kickboxing these days. 

Catch seems like a very niche market. I think the problem with running a catch school is you miss out on the bulk of paying customers because of the neck cranks, rips when transitioning (rubbing induced pain), etc. It's like an old school boxing gym where it hurts to train everyday only boxing gyms have guys who are looking to go pro in them and there is no money in going pro at catch wrestling so they miss out on that part of the market also. 

Good point. All the judo schools I’ve been to have had far less students that the BJJ schools probably due to most people not wanting to get thrown and beat up.

Calhoon -
Denis Kelly -

I know several people in the uk who have been working to bring back catch wrestling. They told me that the original old style catch wrestling gyms all pretty much switched to teaching international freestyle rules probably around the 70s or 80s. This is because there was really no interest in Catch. I imagine it's similar to the way many traditional martial arts schools are switching to mma, bjj and kickboxing these days. 

Catch seems like a very niche market. I think the problem with running a catch school is you miss out on the bulk of paying customers because of the neck cranks, rips when transitioning (rubbing induced pain), etc. It's like an old school boxing gym where it hurts to train everyday only boxing gyms have guys who are looking to go pro in them and there is no money in going pro at catch wrestling so they miss out on that part of the market also. 

Well I actually think it's probably more popular now than it ever has been due to the popularity of mma, Nogi Grappling etc. But just there was a point in history where the people with the most expertise in catch ( at least in England anyway) must have decided that it was dying out and there would never be any interest in it and instead just focus on teaching freestyle wrestling to the next generation because that's a hugely popular international sport whereas catch was seen as an antiquated relic from a bygone era. 

I imagine the same would've have happened in Japan with older styles of Jiujitsu once judo started becoming a huge international sport. 

FatBuddha - Anyone alive who learned extensively from Billy Robinson's teacher (Billy Riley I believe) or from Robinson and can teach as close to how he did?

Billy Scott, Miyato, Sakuraba, josh barnett from Robinson, Tommy Heyes from Riley and the robbie brothers who were the big dogs at rileys gym

Denis Kelly -
Calhoon -
Denis Kelly -

Well I actually think it's probably more popular now than it ever has been due to the popularity of mma, Nogi Grappling etc. But just there was a point in history where the people with the most expertise in catch ( at least in England anyway) must have decided that it was dying out and there would never be any interest in it and instead just focus on teaching freestyle wrestling to the next generation because that's a hugely popular international sport whereas catch was seen as an antiquated relic from a bygone era. 

I imagine the same would've have happened in Japan with older styles of Jiujitsu once judo started becoming a huge international sport. 

Cecchine set it off with his set from WMA,

de braco - 
FatBuddha - Anyone alive who learned extensively from Billy Robinson's teacher (Billy Riley I believe) or from Robinson and can teach as close to how he did?

Billy Scott, Miyato, Sakuraba, josh barnett from Robinson, Tommy Heyes from Riley and the robbie brothers who were the big dogs at rileys gym

Thanks! Have you heard anything about Roy Wood who runs the Snake Pit in Wigan now apparently?

Roy is a wrestling fool. the documentary "catch: the hold not taken" has a lot on roy.

de braco - 

Roy is a wrestling fool. the documentary "catch: the hold not taken" has a lot on roy.

what do you mean “wrestling fool”? Is that a compliment or insult?

a compliment meaning extreme dedication and skill derived from said dedication.

if i called hulk hogan a wrestling fool it would have the opposite connotation

de braco - 

a compliment meaning extreme dedication and skill derived from said dedication.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks. I’d assume he’s a master of all the catch material he learned from Riley?

oh yeah, he's a mean motor scooter. Roy's done a lot of coaching in japan also

de braco - 

oh yeah, he's a mean motor scooter. Roy's done a lot of coaching in japan also

Very cool. Would love to learn from him.

Everyone loves to make believe that there is some esoteric knowledge out there that would completely defeat all other known styles, but modern grappling is already above all that. 1993 has come and gone.

have you ever considered writing "the tao of diet butcher"

Tony must count as an old time guy by now ...

1 Like

There's are couple of guys in the greater manchester area. Daren Morris is one of em. 

ASW and Nemesis guys are really knowledgeable on catch. 

de braco -

Dick Cardinal

https://youtu.be/9A6Qqfl5OAc

That poor kid's neck...

This is just me spitballing, but catch legimitately seems harder on the body than BJJ does.

FingerorMoon -

Tony must count as an old time guy by now ...

i'm glad to see you've recovered from the trauma that "Once upon a time in Hollywood" inflicted on your sheltered jkd sensibilities, enough to resume posting at least. I was afraid you were going to be in a dark place while trying to deal with tarantinos' bogus propaganda bullshit, which rings as hollow as the sound and the fury of one hand clapping along to earth,wind and fires' greatest hits