Any Paramedics here? TME

Whats it like to be a paramedic? It's obviously life and death but it also seems fun for a job to get in an ambulance and rescue lives.

gotta imagine it fucks you up.  i couldn't do it.  big ups to those that have the guts to do it.

I have a friend that went from being an electrician to being a fireman/ambulance guy in his early 30s.  He went from barely jaded/racist to the most jaded racist guy I knew. 

1 Like

Do you like dead kids and babies? You better.......

1 Like

In for answers 

It's long hours and terrible pay. Most calls are not immediately life threatening. It does feel good when you can actually help someone, but at the same time you will deal with seeing things like dead children and suicides, and have to witness the grief family goes through. 

It can be alot of fun

You will do and see shit that isn't even worth repeating because nobody will believe it and less will care

It can and likely will fuck you up, some carry it better than others

Private EMS is a dead end career but that's where most will have to start

You are a disposable piece of equipment

You will always be broke

3 Likes

Cheers, very useful information. 

I'm planning to quit my day job in 2-3 years, with either my mortgage paid off or with rental income to cover it. I was thinking of doing some kind of training in those years so I can switch to a job that I would enjoy more. 

If you are truly interested, take an emt-b course (2 nights a week and a couple Saturdays for a semester) and start volunteering somewhere.

Avoid, at all costs, an accelerated program that will run you through B and then right into a P program. I have never worked with a zero to hero medic that was worth a shit (or, really, even able to function in a moving ambulance). There is alot more to it than just memorizing some shit.

1 Like

Mountain Medic -

If you are truly interested, take an emt-b course (2 nights a week and a couple Saturdays for a semester) and start volunteering somewhere.

Avoid, at all costs, an accelerated program that will run you through B and then right into a P program. I have never worked with a zero to hero medic that was worth a shit (or, really, even able to function in a moving ambulance). There is alot more to it than just memorizing some shit.

Cheers, I'll look and see if there are some courses I can sign up for  and if I can volunteer and see if my creaky old body is up to it. 

Mountain Medic -

It can be alot of fun

You will do and see shit that isn't even worth repeating because nobody will believe it and less will care

It can and likely will fuck you up, some carry it better than others

Private EMS is a dead end career but that's where most will have to start

You are a disposable piece of equipment

You will always be broke

MM - tell us a story.  you gotta have tons.  you pick, most rewarding, most fucked up.  but make it a good one.

Mountain Medic -

Haha so true. They should do skill stations in the back of one. Even Code 3 iv's are an art form. 

Not sure, but I went from the police force to becoming an MD.

The one thing I will say is that a good number of paramedic positions require you to submit to a polygraph as part of the employment process.

Polygraphy is full on pseudoscientific bullshit. If you do decide to submit, you need to learn about it first.

Best way to describe it is playing Russian roulette with your reputation.

Don’t be a medic on a private ambo

only good option is to become a medic for a fire department and be a medic on a fire truck