Any pickup truck experts here ?

Thinking about getting a nice full size PU within 6 months or so.  Lots of nice models out there to chose from.  Must have 4wd, 4door, and leather seats.  Leaning towards a Tundra or Ford Raptor but others are nice too.  Advise/recommendations appreciated.  Thanks.

I think it depends. What is your purpose?

Whatever you get you gotta make sure it's lifted with big tires and has a big set of truck nuts hanging off the back

Silverado

5 Likes
Freaky_Hibiki -

Not a work truck.  I'm retired so occasional hauling stuff for small projects plus room for family/grand kids, etc...

Sometimes covid-19 lets me porrada -

Whatever you get you gotta make sure it's lifted with big tires and has a big set of truck nuts hanging off the back

Must be less than 7 ft high and 20 ft long to fit in garage.  I do like the nuts though !

I really like denali’s these days.

Wait on the Tundra. Major update coming in a year.

GMC AT4 with the 6.2 is a very nice rig imo.

1 Like
sirisaacnewton -

Must be less than 7 ft high and 20 ft long to fit in garage.  I do like the nuts though !

Get you a plow attachment for your truck and it will guaranteed fit

Tundra Limited

I know nothing about trucks. I really like the Raptor (who doesn’t). But when I was at Home Depot, I saw a Dodge Rebel? The set up on this particular truck was extremely aggressive. Sick stance and look to it. I know Toyota’s are very popular, Tacoma TRD etc…but they look so blame and lame, like most things Toyota makes.

150 lariat 5.0 vmp supercharger, deaver rear springs, raptor takeoff(or aftermarket unit designed to fit stock location) rear bypass shocks, front radflo 2.5 ext travel coilovers, icon delta joint upper control arm if staying with stock width add 35 inch tires and wheels of your choice. Bronze wheels are going to be the new "cool" wheel to have.

if you want raptor width the first gen 2010-2014 stuff bolts right up to the trucks un untill 2020.

I wouldnt recomend going to raptor width unless your really after that look or are looking to put an extra 10-15k into it to have it survive when you drive it offroad like its "designed" for. The setup i described above will outperform a stock raptor be just as nice on the inside. Easier to park and far more low key. Resale value wont be worth nearly as much though but would be a good 10k cheaper

2 Likes

Everyone I know with a tundra loves it. I had a sequoia which is basically the suv version and loved it. Everyone I know with a raptor loves it until it breaks. Which seems to happen often for a lot of them. 

I have had fords and Chevy’s. My wide several 4 runners. I currently have a Silverado high country. If you trade vehicles every 100000 miles get what you like, can afford etc. If you want to drive it 300000+ miles buy a Toyota!

sirisaacnewton - 
Freaky_Hibiki -

Not a work truck.  I'm retired so occasional hauling stuff for small projects plus room for family/grand kids, etc...

if you are retired, and its not for work, then why would u need a full size truck?

do u live in a rural area? wouldnt a mid size be suitable like the tacoma or ranger? they are cheaper so u can spend the difference on nice modifications. they would still be large enough for most tasks, and u can get a towbar and get a trailer if u need the extra capacity?

Check out the Sierra Denali.

I'm on my 3rd one..   depending on what your needs are, its the perfect truck.   

Thanks to all for great advice - very helpful as I research options.

Budget??

I like the tundra (for a 1/2 ton) the raptor doesn’t have the hauling but it’s a wonderful piece of kit. It does things other trucks dream of doing it. 

Bottom line 

if you need a long lasting half ton truck (to do truck things) get the Tundra TRD 

if you wanna go anywhere anytime doing 90MPH buy the raptor 

sirisaacnewton -

My buddy had a similar dilemma, needed to fit in the garage.  Picked up a brand new Tacoma, it’s nice as hell.

1 Like
sirisaacnewton - 

Even totally stock, many of the 4x4 trucks are over 7’.

I’ve been truck shopping for the last 6 weeks, for a used truck. I had GREAT results with the '05 Tacoma that I had a few years ago - drove it for nearly 4 years, put about $3,500 into it during that time, and sold it for not much less than what I paid for it - so it cost me about $1,000/yr to own, which I feel is a great ratio.

I was finding Tundras with about the same options, for about the same cost. The 4.6 Tundras actually get BETTER mpg’s than the Tacomas, due to the 6-speed transmissions and rear gear ratio. I THOUGHT I had a guy who was going to sell me his Tundra, but he decided to keep it.

I ended up with a '13 F150 XLT 4x4 Offroad. A dealer about 5 hours from me listed it after getting it as a trade-in. Somebody fucked up and listed it for what they gave as trade-in value, which was $5,200 LESS than what a local dealer wanted for the same truck.

Flew down on Saturday, bought it and drove it home.