Any positives for you over this quarantine crap?

Let's ignore all the politics and everybody else for one second.  From a totally selfish point of view, what positives have come from this for you thus far?  For me:

- This little break has given me time to extra time to clean up the house and dabble in a side-hustile

- less money spent on food and gas

- still getting paid for doing 1/3 of the usual work

- a mental cleansing of sorts, more time to reflect on things that matter

- this is where you know who your real friends are

- some good deal on consumer goods to be had (although I didn't take advantage)

- lastly, when I do go back to work it will most likely be half onsite and half working from home.  It'll be nice to have this flexibility. 

I realize that things may backfire in a big way later but those are the benefits that I've come across so far. 

more daily sex.

1 Like

Don't have to talk to anyone I don't already know and like.

2 Likes

I’ve probably saved a little money. 

Had more sex than normal. 

I have started to work a few days from home due to staffing levels returning to normal.

So I get to work in my jammies some times!

The drive to & from work is great.  Also very quite at work.

Spend less time at the bar, dont even really miss it

The view of the Manhattan skyline has been awesome. You can actually see it clearly from my window now.

Is a pickled liver a good thing ?

My 4th grader wrote in his journal for school this is the best time of his life because we spend more time together as a family.  Hits a guy in the feels.

3 Likes

working out a lot more

Holy fuck I never knew I needed a break so bad. I’ve been working 45-50 hours a week for the last 15 years. I take vacations but I’m always travelling during vacations and usually are more stressful and exhausting than relaxing. This has been a great reset. I can’t work and I’m forced not to go anywhere. It’s like I’m having the summer of George. 

1 Like

Free 1200 bucks

8flat -

My 4th grader wrote in his journal for school this is the best time of his life because we spend more time together as a family.  Hits a guy in the feels.

Yeah moments like that will make you wonder if we really are doing it right by making a child spend more than 50% of their waking life in a school with a bunch of randoms while you spend more than half your life at work with a bunch of randoms.

1 Like

agree with all the OP stuff too. spending less, driving less, more time to myself and with gf. All the restaurants around here offer delivery or pickup and i have a projector for movies, and ya $1200 is nice too. overall, i am liking the lock down because i am mostly a homebody anyways

After getting assraped for about a month, I've made some good moves and made money on the stock market rebound

8flat -

Man that's awesome.  I've been doing muay thai with my 5 yr old daughter, pretty sure she feels the same way.

1 Like

Jayn200 -
8flat -

Yeah moments like that will make you wonder if we really are doing it right by making a child spend more than 50% of their waking life in a school with a bunch of randoms while you spend more than half your life at work with a bunch of randoms.

If I'm allowed to have my flat-earther/anti-vax moment, it's this: I don't think public school is necessary until about grade 5-6.  I think it's glorified babysitting, lowest-common denominator education.  My reasoning goes something like this.  I've known a few family friends who did SHITTY jobs homeschooling their kids.  Like, the kids were totally retarded/illiterate until grade 8.  The state finds out, puts the kids in school.  Kids pick shit up real quick... end of high school, you'd never know the difference.

I'm obviously basing my thoughts on scary few data points.  But my gut instinct is, take a kid who wants to learn and wants to be in school, and they'll make it work no matter how far behind they are.  Take a smart kid who has no motivation... and they're basically fucked for life no matter how smart they are.

I think it's the parents job to teach their kids how to read and do basic math.  My kids go to school for socialization as far as I'm concerned.  I'm sure the teachers love me, lol. 

I get that my way of thinking is overly simplistic, obviously not everyone could/should play that game.

I've had more exercise in the past 7 weeks than I have in the previous 7 years.  My wife and I also relied heavily on takeout... like, think once a day.  Quit cold turkey.  We're eating a lot better and saving a ton of money.  I honestly didn't think it was possible, but corona sort of forced the situation for us.

I've gone deep into gunsmithing . I build restomods but can't get to the garage at my dads because my stepmom just had a bone marrow transplant and has no immune system. So I busted out some of my 70 and 100 year old guns and took them apart completely and refurbished them to 100% working order . I'm currently In the middle of building a 450 bushmaster AR and a 50beowulf.