Any reason I shouldn’t buy this 1911?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911ta-e-series

Short answer is no, buy it.

Longer answer is I'm not a fan of a rail on a 1911, John Browning didn't design the 1911 with an external extractor but S&W puts theirs on the outside for some reason, their are other, cheaper, feature-rich 1911s that are just as reliable & accurate if not more so, but in the end it's a 1911 and they are awesome so, yeah, buy it.

phydeau - Short answer is no, buy it.

Longer answer is I'm not a fan of a rail on a 1911, John Browning didn't design the 1911 with an external extractor but S&W puts theirs on the outside for some reason, their are other, cheaper, feature-rich 1911s that are just as reliable & accurate if not more so, but in the end it's a 1911 and they are awesome so, yeah, buy it.

If’n you were aiming for the most 1911 for 1000-1500 what are maybe three other options you’d recommend?

Your input is much appreciated 

Buy it!

Don't buy it. Save that money toward a 2011 instead.

I bought the Springfield range officer, which I am told is nicely set up ready to go hand gun. I bought before SA pulled some 2A fuckery, so I am not sure I will throw much more support their way. It’s a nice fun though...

1911 Range Officer® Handguns

Do it

Was thinking of buying one from rock island armory

Buy it because we can’t have handguns in Australia without going through some crazy fucking rules.

do it for Australia! 

phydeau - Short answer is no, buy it.

I read that Brownings original design had the external extractor.

Actually thought the other thread said 1911

The only reason not to would be if you're a slack-jawed faggot.

Are you a slack-jawed faggot?

I played this game with co workers a couple weeks ago with an AR10.

One thing this taught me, is no one can ever come up with a reason to not buy a gun.

southcraw - 

If’n you were aiming for the most 1911 for 1000-1500 what are maybe three other options you’d recommend?

Springfield Armory is not a wrong answer.

Their Loaded series is good and cheaper than your budget. Their TRPs are very nice, but I don't like mag wells on my 1911s (like my opinion on rails, this is purely a cosmetic personal preference). The Range Officers..., I don't understand where the Range Officer is suppose to sit in their spectrum of Mil Spec - Loaded - TRP - Professional.

So long as you're right handed there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Springfield Mil Spec for around $800.

Remington is making 1911s again, both mil spec and feature rich, for $800 - $1000.

See if Dan Wesson offers something in your price range. Wessons are 100% THE SHIT. Great pistols. It might be tough to find one for $1500, though.

If you're not a snob then Rock Island Armory makes 1911s, both mil spec and feature rich, that aren't beautiful but are reliable and run about half your budget. Spend the rest on ammo and you're golden.

PRO TIP - Whatever 1911 you get, spend ~$150 on five Wilson Combat or Chip McCormic magazines. The most likely cause of a stoppage or failure in a 1911 is the magazine, not the actual gun. I run Wilson & McCormin in my cheap-ass 1911 and haven't had a stoppage or failure in literally years.

1 Like

I have a Springfield Professional. I don't mind the rail. I have custom holsters for a sure fire light I run with it and railed holsters.

2 Likes

I don’t care for Sig 1911’s or Smiths because of the external extractor but if it runs, it runs. 

side note: friend of mine has a Sig 1911 nightmare. The faux extractor on the back of the slide decided to break in half for no reason one day we were out shooting. 

phydeau -
southcraw - 

Their Loaded series is good and cheaper than your budget. Their TRPs are very nice, but I don't like mag wells on my 1911s (like my opinion on rails, this is purely a cosmetic personal preference). The Range Officers..., I don't understand where the Range Officer is suppose to sit in their spectrum of Mil Spec - Loaded - TRP - Professional.

So long as you're right handed there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Springfield Mil Spec for around $800.

Remington is making 1911s again, both mil spec and feature rich, for $800 - $1000.

See if Dan Wesson offers something in your price range. Wessons are 100% THE SHIT. Great pistols. It might be tough to find one for $1500, though.

If you're not a snob then Rock Island Armory makes 1911s, both mil spec and feature rich, that aren't beautiful but are reliable and run about half your budget. Spend the rest on ammo and you're golden.

PRO TIP - Whatever 1911 you get, spend ~$150 on five Wilson Combat or Chip McCormic magazines. The most likely cause of a stoppage or failure in a 1911 is the magazine, not the actual gun. I run Wilson & McCormin in my cheap-ass 1911 and haven't had a stoppage or failure in literally years.

Thanks for your input!

I am left handed but have only ever used the OG 1911 thumb safety so though ambi safety would be cool it’ll take some getting used to.

I want a rail so I can put a light on it since this will be my bedside bump in the night firearm.

There’s so many options of 1911’s it so hard to pick. I’m gonna plan on just buying them all over time

phydeau -
southcraw - 

Had two mil spec, a range officer and a bunch of Filipino brands including S.A.M.  Shot Wilson’s, Dan Wesson’s, STI’s, Les Baer’s, Ed Browns Noghthawk’s, haven't shot Cabot, Guncrafter Industries, and a few of the smaller custom makers out there.  I want a Cabot though. 

My dad is a colt fan boy so up until recently I would have said the same about myself but the general concensus seems to be their quality of 1911 doesn’t stand up to the hefty price difference between them and some of their competitors 

Don’t do it. 1911 are heavy, have a low ammo count and cleaning them is a bitch. 

You can get more fire power inside a lighter package that cost less if you go with a modern polymer gun.