Any Reason NOT To Get A Ruger AR 556

$499 - can I go wrong?

What are the specs?

I have the ruger sr762

It's legit as hell.

if their 556 is even close in build quality, go for it.

The Ruger AR-556 is a semi-automatic M4-style, direct impingement Modern Sporting Rifle that offers consumers a fun to shoot, affordable rifle with rugged reliability. Extensively tested during its development, the AR-556 is constructed from top-quality components, including forged 7075-T6 aluminum upper and lower receivers and a cold hammer-forged, chrome-moly steel barrel with M4 feed ramp cuts. This model is chambered in 5.56 NATO and comes equipped with a telescoping 6-position stock, 30-round Magpul magazine and enlarged trigger guard. Plus, it uses standardized M4 / AR components so customization is hassle free.

Forged 7075-T6 aluminum upper (type III hard-coat anodized) with forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector

Forged 7075-T6 aluminum lower with Type III hard-coat anodized finish

Heat-resistant nylon handguard for shooting comfort

Milled gas block is located at carbine length position for improved balance and handling

Ergonomic pistol grip features an extended trigger reach for more precise trigger control

Barrel nut and delta ring are designed for 1-person handguard removal and installation

Shot peened, 9310 alloy steel bolt

Multiple attachment points include a QD socket and bayonet lug, for many sling and accessory mounting options

Barrel is threaded (1/2"-28)

Includes 30-rd. Magpul PMAG magazine

Key Specifications

Item Number: 643528

Caliber: 5.56 NATO

Action: Semi-automatic

Capacity: 30

Barrel length: 16.10"

Barrel style: Medium contour, cold hammer-forged with Ruger flash suppressor

Barrel twist: 1:8"

Stock: 6-position telescoping M4-style synthetic

Length of pull: 10.25"-13.50"

Trigger: Single stage

Sights: Adjustable post front / Adjustable Ruger rapid deploy rear

Overall length: 32.25"-35.50"

Overall weight: 6.5 lbs.

Mfg. Number: 8500

UPC: 736676085002

Good for the price.

Well, you’re getting a $500 AR. If that’s your budget, it’s not a bad choice. I’m not a fan of ruger for anything besides their wheel guns and the 10/22, so I’d probably look to build one out in that price range or pay a little more to move up to something a little better quality from another manufacturer. 

The one we use runs flawlessly. Never seen it jam. Awesome fucking weapon.

My buddy's brother also has one and it's jammed a couple times. Likely a solvable issue, just figured I'd mention it.

I don't see how you could go wrong for $500.  AR prices are really coming down so you may be able to hold out for a while and get a better quality gun for less.  

My preference is to build my AR's from the ground up.  That way I can get everything the way I want it and not have a box of leftover parts laying around.  

I own one and for $500 you can’t go wrong.  Very reliable and haven’t had any malfunctions with over 5k rounds through it.

the one thing I’m not crazy about is the way they do their delta ring.  It’s screws in instead of using clamps.  It limits some of the rail accessories you can add, and also can get either loose or really tight on its own. A bit annoying but not necessarily a deal breaker. 

I own one. No problems or complaints here

Probably the best entry level deal. There are a couple of others out there for a little less, with slightly better specs. But they lack rear sights, so you have to add those at extra expense, which brings them in line price wise.

1) You don't need one

I've heard the S&W M&P 15 Sport II is also worth looking into for entry level ARs

BrckNoHitBk -

1) You don't need one

You're right.  He probably should get 3 or 4 for that price.

I jsut bought 4 stripped lowers and still have 2 or 3 in my safe.  When you see awesome deals, you need to jump on them.  Also just bought a 10.5 223 upper for my AR pistol.  $240 is too good of a deal to pass up.

I picked up an MPR AR-555 from Ruger for $575. It adds a better trigger, a free-floating hand guard and some other little improvements.

This is my first ar-15 so I don't know if it's good or not. The trigger does feel really nice but I've only shot pistols before. From what I'd read before I ordered it, it's more than worth the increase in price over the standard ruger ar-556.

Hickok 45 has a recent review of it on YouTube. 

A drop in trigger makes them fantasmic. I can obliterate whistle pigs at 300 yards with a vortex spitfire.

Ruger's stuff is great these days. My buddy has their AR and loves it. 

Too many Ruger designed parts for my taste. If I was to get a budget AR here's what I would get.-

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-carbine-length-m4-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-moe-ept-rifle-kit-rear-mbus-516447449.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

The only upgrades that i would add to this setup (or any setup) is an H2 buffer and maybe a BCM enhanced extractor spring. 

BrckNoHitBk -

1) You don't need one

2. You don’t have to need to want one.  Get it you’ll love it 

Luke Rockhard -

Well, you’re getting a $500 AR. If that’s your budget, it’s not a bad choice. I’m not a fan of ruger for anything besides their wheel guns and the 10/22, so I’d probably look to build one out in that price range or pay a little more to move up to something a little better quality from another manufacturer. 

I have a sr762 and sr40c and have never had a single misfire, for the money I'd say go for it.