Any tips on quitting drinking?

I'm going to quit drinking. I do stupid things when I drink. I want to quit but I need help with feeling comfortable without a beer in my hand while hanging out socially. I've been drinking since I was 15. I'm 30 now. I have been getting out of hand on the weekends. Any advice will be much appreciated. Phone Post

Hang out socially at other places. Become more active in other organizations like your gym, church, professional groups etc.

Get a hobby that's going to take up a lot of time and doesn't involve going to the bar. Just drink tons of water when you go out, having water in your hand and drinking it can on some level substitute.

Z NEDCMK1 -

1.Stop drinking

2. Stop hanging out in places where the primary activity is drinking.

3. Stop hanging out with people who's primary hobby is drinking.

What this guy said. I'm having an impossible time quitting smoking because the people in my social circles do. You're going to have to remove yourself from situations where you would drink until you figure out a decent coping mechanism. It will be tough, but you can do it. Phone Post

Smoke pot.

Yea. Haven't been to a bar in awhile. My in-laws can drink to a certain point and stop. But not me, I'll get black out drunk and look like an idiot. It boggles my mind how I'm disciplined in every aspect of my life except for drinking. I'm just tired of being the guy that can't control his alcohol. Phone Post

join AA?

You need to change your routine. That's the easiest way to drop a bad habit.

Like Zned said, find a hobby that you actually enjoy. Don't force yourself into something, it won't work. Find something you're into and start doing that on weekends instead of drinking. You're going to have to stop hanging with your friends for a bit until you get comfortable not drinking. Give them an excuse like you went to the doctor and she said your blood pressure is way to high and you need to quit drinking for 6 months. Anything medical excuse should buy you some time.

I haven't fought in a couple of years. Still train 5/6 days out of the week tho. Mostly just do bjj tournaments. But having a fight scheduled would give me something to work towards. I sent out a mass text to my friends stating I was going sober. I was very pleased with the responses. Two of my oldest friends want to quit with me. One even said he looked up to me. Made my day. I figured they would talk crap to me. Phone Post

You have to truly want to stop. Anytime I have a fight come up I quit drinking 3 months before and when the fight is over I really don't have an urge to anymore.

So maybe come to something that will force you to quit and after a while you won't miss it. Phone Post

Drink in moderation Phone Post 3.0

SnapLocally - Smoke pot.

My brother did the same thing. Hardly drinks now. But I get piss tested at work. Phone Post

Btw thanks guys. I've been getting way more support than I thought I would. Phone Post

Z NEDCMK1 -

Soda water with a twist of lime looks just like a vodka and tonic, but beware - not drinking makes everyone who is drinking more than twice as annoying.

The good thing is yu will realize how annoying you were when drinking.

Lol when I'm the DD my wife does seem annoying. She gets pissed off at me and starts reminding me of all the dumb stuff I've done while drinking. Then my argument is invalid. Phone Post

nick1302 - Yea. Haven't been to a bar in awhile. My in-laws can drink to a certain point and stop. But not me, I'll get black out drunk and look like an idiot. It boggles my mind how I'm disciplined in every aspect of my life except for drinking. I'm just tired of being the guy that can't control his alcohol. Phone Post
Don't keep it in the house. Have plenty of other non alcoholic drinks around. If you do want to have a beer, but one or two tall boys and that's it. Don't buy a 12 pack and think it will last you, bc by the end of the night you'll look in your fridge and there will be one left. Phone Post 3.0

quit drinking threads are my bat signal. feel free to message me if you want to discuss, or need support.

If you're going the message board route, then that means you're not interested in conventional advice like rehab or AA. Is that right?

in terms of the social aspect, that was my biggest fear. but there's a value in being a DD for your friends. and they are fine with it. the bigger challenge is putting them at ease that your decision doesn't have to impede on their fun. once they get past that its all good.

Also I wasn't being a dick saying moderation. I used to go out hard when I'd go out but grew out of it around your age. Get into craft beer. I never have more than one when I'm at home. Phone Post 3.0

RawrAnti! -
Z NEDCMK1 -

1.Stop drinking

2. Stop hanging out in places where the primary activity is drinking.

3. Stop hanging out with people who's primary hobby is drinking.

What this guy said. I'm having an impossible time quitting smoking because the people in my social circles do. You're going to have to remove yourself from situations where you would drink until you figure out a decent coping mechanism. It will be tough, but you can do it. Phone Post

I Recently quit and this worked great Phone Post 3.0

Like others have said

1. Find a hobby, people who drink alot are usually bored. Start exercising, riding bike, wood working, reading, quilting or all of the above.

2.Do not go out to places where drinking happens. If your friends are real friends they will support you. Ask them to go biking or go to movies instead of meeting at a pub.

3. Buy some Club Soda and your favorite juice and mix them, gives the mouth feel of drinking.

4. Treat yourself. I know several people who would spend $100 a week on their bar tabs.

save $25 and take the other $75 and buy something cool.

Gritty - Also I wasn't being a dick saying moderation. I used to go out hard when I'd go out but grew out of it around your age. Get into craft beer. I never have more than one when I'm at home. Phone Post 3.0

This only works for some people. I get hung over after 3 drinks so when I go out I will get good craft beer and water.

I know some people who after 2 drinks cannot stop. So the only way for them to stop drinking is never start again.