Anybody have a hot tub?

We just moved into a new place and it's got a hot tub in the back yard.  Not really my thing, but the more I look at it the more I feel like it could be pretty cool.  Of course, the downside is that this one doesn't work -- the previous owners weren't exactly do-it-yourselfers and didn't seem to know what the problem was, but the husband said it throws the main breaker whenever it's on and the wife said that it's got a bad heating unit -- not sure who is correct or if either/both of them are.

As I say, I think it'd be pretty cool to get it up and running, but it's not a big thing.  I have no experience with hot tubs and I can't decide if it's really worth it.  I generally do repairs around the house myself, but electrical is not my thing, so I'd probably have to call someone in.  Am I about to walk into a money-pit here, or are hot tubs pretty easy to get running?  If I do get it running, is it the sort of thing that I'm going to have to keep dumping time and money into in order to use it?

I know they're expensive to run, but that's not really a big concern as we probably wouldn't have it on very often, just for get togethers and the odd weekend or whatever.  I just would like some input on whether this is a project that is worth doing or not.

Thanks.

mine is broken right now, sprung a mean leak.. one of the pvc fittings busted and spider cracked all down the pipe... easy fix but I just don't feel like doing it.

it's like 6years old

We used it a lot the first year and every year after that less and less

I've had to replace two covers and they were 450 each... they just wear out and get old

i'm probably gonna end up trashing it

the heating element is an easy fix... I replaced mine for like 180 I think?

I bought a lay z inflatable hot tub for £300.

It's fucking bad ass. Phone Post 3.0

john76 - mine is broken right now, sprung a mean leak.. one of the pvc fittings busted and spider cracked all down the pipe... easy fix but I just don't feel like doing it.

it's like 6years old

We used it a lot the first year and every year after that less and less

I've had to replace two covers and they were 450 each... they just wear out and get old

i'm probably gonna end up trashing it

the heating element is an easy fix... I replaced mine for like 180 I think?

Thanks for the info, voted up. 

I probably also should have mentioned that there's a giant woodchuck living underneath the tub -- who knows what damage it's done.

Even so, it sounds like replacing the heating element is cheap enough that it might be worth a shot -- if it doesn't work I could probably sell it to recoup a fraction of the cost anyway.