Anyone a CNC Machinist?

JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 
SMOKING MANHOLE - I work with a bunch of operators who call themselves CNC machinists. Phone Post 3.0
Lol, spoken like true old manual hand. Sorry you have to work so hard while the rest of us nap. Phone Post 3.0

As a programmer I recognize the difference between CNC operator and CNC machinist. The difference is huge, and most times the ones that are operators that think they are machinists also seem to know everything about programming as well.
Lol, well I was just layed off an hour ago. Perhaps my employer shared your assessment of my skills. Phone Post 3.0

OP-You would definitely earn more via the more machines you knew how to operate and being able to program. The highest paid Machinist at the place I used to work at was a Tool Maker and he could run CNCs, EDMs, vertical mills, lathes, etc.. Obviously it would depend on the company and its internal structure but, you might be able to get a foot in the door thru a job either in 2nd Ops, as a Quality Technician, or in a CAD position.

I'm not a machinist, I'm a detailer/designer/draftsman. I used to make profiles for the guys running the wire EDM machine sometimes cause I could at least get them started quicker with AutoCAD but, that's it. I turned down a job that I wanted to take recently as a Programmer because they were working every other Saturday (as Salary with pay that wasn't worth it, on a semester that I had Saturday classes).

Also, just turned 30 myself and I figured I have more adult life ahead of me than life behind me.

12SixElbow-
Inventor and Solidworks are very similar. I had used Inventor for about 8 years before I took a class in Solidworks and it was very easy to pick up. In the 2nd class I think I taught as many people as the teacher did. I couldn't really pick a favorite, it would come down to a command by command basis. (Side note, I've also used Revit and just lately some G.I.S.)

And yea, on the machining side of it I have seen a lot of places use MasterCam. Never messed with Unigraphics but would like to.

QuinTheEskimo -
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 
SMOKING MANHOLE - I work with a bunch of operators who call themselves CNC machinists. Phone Post 3.0
Lol, spoken like true old manual hand. Sorry you have to work so hard while the rest of us nap. Phone Post 3.0

As a programmer I recognize the difference between CNC operator and CNC machinist. The difference is huge, and most times the ones that are operators that think they are machinists also seem to know everything about programming as well.
Lol, well I was just layed off an hour ago. Perhaps my employer shared your assessment of my skills. Phone Post 3.0
I'm actually a welder and work in the aerospace industry. If you live in the cincinnati area I can get you a job, otherwise good luck.

I work with a couple of guys that get pissed when they're called machinists. They prefer to be called tool makers. Phone Post 3.0

SMOKING MANHOLE -
QuinTheEskimo -
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

I'm actually a welder and work in the aerospace industry. If you live in the cincinnati area I can get you a job, otherwise good luck.

I work with a couple of guys that get pissed when they're called machinists. They prefer to be called tool makers. Phone Post 3.0
Oh you're a welder. Then let me say doubly that I'm sorry you have to work so hard while all the machinists stay cool. :)

I apreciate your offer. I'm in west texas and I don't think I'll be heading towards cinncinati. I do apreciate your concern though. This is a good place with some good people. Phone Post 3.0

QuinTheEskimo - 
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

Damn that sucks.

I'm a manufacturer rep with Sandvik in the New England area. If any of you guys are in the area I'd be happy to help a fellow OG'er.

My uncle owns a CNC shop that I worked in most summers.

It was the most mind numbing thing I ever did. Phone Post 3.0

I run a matsuura hplus 630 it is super cool has 200 tools 6 pallets and it's the newest machine in the shop.

Also run a mazak vari 730 5axis. That thing is crazy the way it can maneuver.

Some days I feel like I'm a robot because I'm not an apprentice or a journeyman so not really programming anything just fixing alarms and changing inserts all day. Phone Post 3.0

QuinTheEskimo -
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

Brutal. Sorry to hear. Phone Post 3.0

JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

I consider myself a true machinist. However, there is a limit anyone can do within 3 years of experience in the industry. Especially having no mechanical background at all prior.

I know enough to know I don't know everything. I ask questions and have a notepad at one of my machines daily. I pick the long-time skilled guy's brains. I literally learn something new daily.

I had no desire to be a button pusher from the start and it's why I have been able to do more than I thought I could this early on but there is always stuff to learn. Phone Post 3.0

JonnyW - 
QuinTheEskimo - 
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

Damn that sucks.

That sucks Quin sorry to hear that.

Thanks guys for the advice this is really what I needed to hear. The Community college that I am going to be attending really seems to have a great program and I will try to get hired on with a shop soon so that I can start getting some experience. Thanks again guys you all helped me out alot.

Cotton - 
JonnyW -
QuinTheEskimo - 

I consider myself a true machinist. However, there is a limit anyone can do within 3 years of experience in the industry. Especially having no mechanical background at all prior.

I know enough to know I don't know everything. I ask questions and have a notepad at one of my machines daily. I pick the long-time skilled guy's brains. I literally learn something new daily.

I had no desire to be a button pusher from the start and it's why I have been able to do more than I thought I could this early on but there is always stuff to learn. Phone Post 3.0

Read everything in Cotton's last post here. This is exactly how to handle yourself in a machine shop. Showing a willingness to learn is HUGE.

In 4 ltr. Phone Post 3.0

No but I did work at CNC Music Factory

I was but now I fix them. Phone Post 3.0

I'm 37 and have been machining since 1999. I took a 2 year course offered at my high school after I graduated. I was pretty lucky because it only cost me $100. We learned the basic to be able to run a lathe, milling machine and surface grinder. And did a small amount of programming. That being said I've learned the most at my current job. I've been there 14 years. And I'm still learning. I started out general machinists and now programme and run a wire EDM. I also run the CN lathe and conv milling when wire work runs low. A lot of people are telling you to pickup all your experience on the job, but in my area you wouldn't even make it in the door. You absolutely need some kind of course. It's not something you can pick up over night
I really enjoy what I do. Being that we do custom work I don't ever see large quantities. If I had to be an operator I probably would have changed places or job entirety.
None of this probably helps you but good luck. Phone Post 3.0

Here is a happy story for OP to consider. I mentioned being laid off a few days ago, but now comes the other side of things. I just applied for a gig with one of the private companies pursuing space exploration. They not only seemed excited to have me in their prototype shop they said if I'm hired they'll want me to pursue an engineering degree which they would pay for. I may well land my dream job in the next few weeks.

What I love most about machine work is the vast number of options it gives you in so any areas and industries. Phone Post 3.0

"What I love most about machine work is the vast number of options it gives you in so any areas and industries."

Agreed.

Even just understanding Cartesian coordinates opens a lot of doors for you. Phone Post 3.0

ghost of KVR - Cool thread just started a machining course through the local adult education, not looking for a career change, just looking to be able to make stuff at home Phone Post 3.0
Home projects sure seem to involve less sticking points when you can shape steel easily and well. I'm going to push my kids to learn a bit just as a good life skill. Phone Post 3.0

Long hair and loose clothing are your best bet! Phone Post 3.0