Anyone been a victim of credit card fraud?

My wife and I recently paid off all our credit cards and just in the past week she's received two notifications of someone trying to open up new cards in her name and someone upped her limit and ran up a $20,000 total on an old Care Credit card. I've never been angrier in as long as I can remember. Like if I saw the guilty person buried to their neck in sand I'd play golf with a Louisville Slugger. That is all. Just needed to vent. 

I've had it happen to my debit card a couple times, but always less than 500 at a time. I guess they don't want to raise suspicion? It sucks.

You won't be held liable though. But still, thieves are scum.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the financial institutions have insurance for cc fraud so you’ll almost always get your money back?

Mine got stolen at a bar a couple months back and they used it for a round of drinks and a McDonald’s on the way home. When I got to applying for my refund I was ‘certain’ they were the ones who ran up $200 on drinks prior to those purchases and it “definitely couldn’t have been me” lmao

In the mid nineties I left my card at a gas station outside Toronto. By the time I was In Poughkeepsie it had about 14k worth of calls to Afghanistan. A few months later another 10k of calls to China. Was easy to clear up though.

Kevin85 - 

My wife and I recently paid off all our credit cards and just in the past week she's received two notifications of someone trying to open up new cards in her name and someone upped her limit and ran up a $20,000 total on an old Care Credit card. I've never been angrier in as long as I can remember. Like if I saw the guilty person buried to their neck in sand I'd play golf with a Louisville Slugger. That is all. Just needed to vent. 

Sorry bro, I'm desperately trying to get this magnet fishing documentary funded.

3 Likes

a few years ago i had a call from citi asking me if i had made a couple of purchases with my card. I hadn't. it was like a pack of gum and something else small. very low dollar purchases made several states away. they caught it and sent me a new card. no problem. 

Some asshole ordered a pizza in Austin Texas a few months ago..

samichlaus -
Kevin85 - 

Sorry bro, I'm desperately trying to get this magnet fishing documentary funded.

I'm not even upset then. And I know we won't be held liable for it, but like Altofsky said they're scum and it annoys me that people get away with it and the folks at Synchrony didn't seem to care that they had been duped for $20,000.

We put fraud alerts on both our credit profiles and froze all her credit cards for now to be safe.

On a funnier note I had a buddy run up a $4,000 bill on his credit card after hours in a strip club including dozens of bottles. Since he wasn't capable of signing/approving of it all at the time he got it all refunded.

They got me for 1200$ a few weeks back. Luckily the charges were pending and we (wife and I) were able to stop them. Got a new credit card and that was that. Also today I discovered my new STIHL chainsaw has been stolen. That stings pretty bad. Fucking meth heads

doyouevenufc -

They got me for 1200$ a few weeks back. Luckily the charges were pending and we (wife and I) were able to stop them. Got a new credit card and that was that. Also today I discovered my new STIHL chainsaw has been stolen. That stings pretty bad. Fucking meth heads

I think I would be just as mad if my chainsaw got stolen and it's only a Craftsman brand.

I checked some credit report thing and some guy had tried to open up a credit card in my name twice a month for an entire year. 

Few years back they copied my card while visiting Turkey, luckily I have sms notification so at 1 am I hear my phone going crazy and check;  8k USD transactions simultaneously all over the world.

Steps:

1.  Immediately called the bank, freeze the card.

2.  Fill in the claim forms.

3.  Within 30-60 days get refunded. Yes the risks of fraud are priced into the interest you are paying.

I've had a couple of charges on a credit card. First it was a small amount probably testing to see if it work and next one was bigger. Both through Lyft in a state I've never been to. Got reimbursed, canceled card etc. Hate thiefs. 

Hasn't everyone been the victim of credit card fraud at least once in their lives?
I just call the bank, reverse the transaction, cancel that card and get a new one.

In Australia, the bank gives you back the money instantly and investigates in the background, notifying you that in their investigation, if it doesn't seem to be fraud, the charge will be put back on your new card.

Got my credit card skimmed at a Hooters by the waitress on a Saturday night, I was the only one in the group to use a card, 9am Monday morning I get notifications about $500 purchases on my card 2 went through the next was declined.  Guy was going to TJ Maxx’s & Marshall’s buying the max limit of $500 gift cards, which apparently managers didn’t think was suspicious.

Was able to track him by following the declines at stores and googling the numbers and calling the stores.  One manager said he checked the guys ID and it matched the name on the card.

Anyways I tracked him and got him arrested, I think he was still in one of the stores I called because I got a call back from a police detective to give details.

I got 3 different summons to testify as a witness, trial got pushed back 3 times as far as I know. I never ended up going to court, after the last delay I never heard anything.

I had someone take out a 20k cash loan in my name. Police got involved and I didn’t have to pay anything.

Years later the bank reached out to me....the money was still sitting in the account and hadn’t been touched...they were calling about whether I wanted to keep the account open or cash it out.  I told them the money wasn’t mine and that was the last of it, but seemingly I could have cashed out the account and walked away with the money. 

Been dinged a couple times for little shit (skimmers testing) but both my banks are very good at catching that before it goes through & refunding when they miss it.

My wife actually caught some fraud two days ago.