Anyone Been to Air Force Basic Training Recently?

The ole' you "can" get commissioned after you enlist tactic. OCS was worth the wait. 

Apparently he wasn't too smart fior that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqxrJHkzS0I

His Air Force Recruiter will be laughing his ass off when he ships out. 

1 Like
sadic1 -
DaveFu - 
sadic1 - 
Edelweiss - 
sadic1 - Thanks for the replies so far. They did change it from 6 weeks to 8 weeks sometime since I was in, as it used to be 2 weeks less than any other branch, but when I was in, the physical training was really light, we used to do pushups and pullups in the barracks just to get a workout.

My son is on the older side for enlisting, but he hasn’t historically been very good at being coached, yelled at, or made to do things he doesn’t want to do fast, so Im actually hoping they haven’t gotten too soft over there lol.

How old is he, if you don’t mind? 

He’s 27 and has a 4 year degree in mechanical engineering. Would have been nice if he’s realized his calling to the military BEFORE I spent the 80k on his degree, but whatever it takes to get him to launch lol.

He enlisted? He's going to hate his recruiter! lol 

He had a chance to go OCS if he went Army or Coast Guard, but wanted to go Air Force and couldn’t go straight to OCS there, so hes aware of the circumstances. This way he may get a shot at Space Force and can get some training as a computer programmer, so I like it for him in that sense. Im just interested to see if ANYONE can get him off his ass to be motivated and fast at doing things, because his mother and I failed in that department lol.

I have worked for the AF and now Space Force for over 15 yrs…I have not seen anything done fast.

Congrats on providing your son with a good education. Similar to DaveFu said....I can not imagin enlisting after getting an engineering degree.

Engineering = use math and logic to figure out what you should do

Enlisted = do what other people tell you to do, when they tell you to do it, how they tell you to do it. 

He probably wont be working for security forces!

Inelegant Discourse - 
sadic1 -
DaveFu - 
sadic1 - 
Edelweiss - 
sadic1 - Thanks for the replies so far. They did change it from 6 weeks to 8 weeks sometime since I was in, as it used to be 2 weeks less than any other branch, but when I was in, the physical training was really light, we used to do pushups and pullups in the barracks just to get a workout.

My son is on the older side for enlisting, but he hasn’t historically been very good at being coached, yelled at, or made to do things he doesn’t want to do fast, so Im actually hoping they haven’t gotten too soft over there lol.

He’s 27 and has a 4 year degree in mechanical engineering. Would have been nice if he’s realized his calling to the military BEFORE I spent the 80k on his degree, but whatever it takes to get him to launch lol.

He had a chance to go OCS if he went Army or Coast Guard, but wanted to go Air Force and couldn’t go straight to OCS there, so hes aware of the circumstances. This way he may get a shot at Space Force and can get some training as a computer programmer, so I like it for him in that sense. Im just interested to see if ANYONE can get him off his ass to be motivated and fast at doing things, because his mother and I failed in that department lol.

I have worked for the AF and now Space Force for over 15 yrs…I have not seen anything done fast.

Congrats on providing your son with a good education. Similar to DaveFu said....I can not imagin enlisting after getting an engineering degree.

Enlisted = do what other people tell you to do, when they tell you to do it, how they tell you to do it. 

Sweet! Another military nerd. My old Navy reserve job got folded into Space Force. 

Space Force? Why the hell are there so many lawyers? 

AnotherTMAguy -

I've heard that they've toughened up the training as the people thought the air force would be the easiest to get into the military.

Wasnt it like 6 weeks and they had their own apartments basically? 

1 Like
DaveFu -
Inelegant Discourse - 
sadic1 -
DaveFu - 
sadic1 - 
Edelweiss - 

Sweet! Another military nerd. My old Navy reserve job got folded into Space Force. 

Space Force? Why the hell are there so many lawyers? 

Ha! My office avoids the lawyers as much as possible....but we still work with them enought to know them on a first name basis.  

Some of the most baffling conversations I have had involve lawyers "weighing in" on engineering decisions.  The lawyers dont have engineering degrees and the engineers dont have time for extended discussions about precise language that has nothing to do with the design.

I hired one of ours for my divorce. Weekend warriors represent! 

1 Like

I agree with yall and told him all this beforehand. I went in the Air Force because I had no degree and no prospects and came out having learned programming and being able to get into a decent career, but I didn’t love the military lifestyle or liabilities at all and couldn’t wait to get out. I actually got out a year short of 4 because I planned to become a masonry contractor with my father in law and the Air Force want short on staff, then decided to get a job as a programmer instead.

To me, more education means more options and more potential freedom, UNLESS you sign your life away to a bunch of people you aren’t allowed to vet as decent or competent who can imprison you for not listening to them.

But this kid is heardheaded and a little naïve for his age, imo, and is going in April. Im hoping this experience breaks him in to a broader understanding of the world and that he’ll have some options to develop while he’s there.

sadic1 - I agree with yall and told him all this beforehand. I went in the Air Force because I had no degree and no prospects and came out having learned programming and being able to get into a decent career, but I didn't love the military lifestyle or liabilities at all and couldn't wait to get out. I actually got out a year short of 4 because I planned to become a masonry contractor with my father in law and the Air Force want short on staff, then decided to get a job as a programmer instead.

To me, more education means more options and more potential freedom, UNLESS you sign your life away to a bunch of people you aren’t allowed to vet as decent or competent who can imprison you for not listening to them.

But this kid is heardheaded and a little naïve for his age, imo, and is going in April. Im hoping this experience breaks him in to a broader understanding of the world and that he’ll have some options to develop while he’s there.

Ohhh they're going to unleash some wisdom on him.

Reality will be kicking him in the dick regularly.

![](upload://mccKRZwJJisGXJtCgXasgnoIHHW.jpeg)

Should have made him join the royal navy. 

Join the navy! Feel a man!

Basic will be fine. His biggest hurdle is going to be listening to a Jr officer be a cunt when he has a degree. A friend of mine had his aeronautical engineering degree but failed the officer enrollment program and signed up enlisted. He was very chill but I could tell it kinds irked him to see him sweeping hangars etc thinking why the fuck did I bother with university.

My son left today, shipping out to Lackland AFB in the morning, should be getting yelled at in less than 24 hours! Wife wont stop crying, lol.

1 Like

Congratulations!
No matter what, this is a definitive point in his life.

Let me know if he ever gets stationed on the west coast.

He would definitely be a …MACHO MACHO MAN!

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit!
They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit!

yeah they are a bunch of fags.

Congrats! I’m a week a away from 15 years…still remember getting yelled at the first night because I couldn’t stop laughing at the faggot that was getting chewed out for bringing an accoustic guitar to basic…he either had zero guidance or someone did him real dirty…either way I was basically in tears.

1 Like

Thanks! I got pulled out of a march to class when I was in basic because the TI of a female flight we were passing saw me wink at one of the girls. She pulled a 341 and told me to come see her later. When I showed up, she threw it out and laughed and told me to get out of there.

And thanks to all for the advice and well wishes. He has been there almost 2 weeks now and hasnt come back yet, so thats a good sign, I hope. We just sent out the first batch of letters from home to him. He’s going to be spending his birthday in Basic Training on Saturday lol.

2 Likes

My son graduates from Air Force BMT tomorrow! I notice it seems to go a lot faster when Im not the one going through it! Next he will be on to tech school in Biloxi for a few months. Looking forward to seeing where he ends up for his permanent assignment and what he ends up doing. I found out that he actually didnt get a single question wrong on the ASVAB, so hopefully he will be hand picked for an interesting assignment like I was back in the day, even though I didnt get every question right, just high scores.

2 Likes

Giiiiiivvvveeee me two pairs …