Anyone been to Morocco?

sgotwalks - 
Fake Pie - Going to Portugal in a few weeks then Morocco. Keep hearing conflicting things, like they will harass women in the street vs. other people saying it will be fine and thousands go every year (my thoughts).

Going with my GF who is a big tittied blonde (she's a lot more than that but to be relevant...). She has agreed to wear long dresses that cover her legs and breasts to appease the local cavemen, but anyone have any other thoughts?

You've got to keep us posted.......I'm definitely in to hear how things go for you with the blonde girlfriend in Morocco. Might I suggest you tell them she is your wife, not your girlfriend. Trust me, it helps. Lol, you're fucked, ha ha!

Yeah we are getting fake rings for this reason :)

Fucking muslims...

They will try to hustle you to buy shitty trinkets, photos or rugs at exorbitant prices and eye fuck your gf. The landscape ranges from brown to khaki and they have good mint tea. 

I've spent a total of 2 years there, my wife with me for most of the time. You'll be fine and enjoy it. Just dress modestly and respect the culture and like any other place be observant of your surroundings. There's a little dodgy men only "beer garden" hidden in a side street in Marrakech. Locals only kind of place. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you directions. It's worth a visit for sure, it's where all the "observant" Muslims go to get hammered during Ramadan...

close, i could see it from spain but didn't have time to visit. :(

Candide - 

Depends on what you mean by harassment. She's going to get cat called but nobody is likely to touch her. The shopkeepers will probably be more annoying. They will almost all invite you in for tea to show you around their shop every time you pass by. It gets old quick.

Cool. Thanks.

We are doing a private tour--all 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor, so we only really have one day in Marrakesh. Sounds like it will be annoying at worst.

I have been to Tangiers. Absolutely worth the visit. Watch the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode on it. I just by chance ran into like half the characters he did on that show.

Went to Tangiers. I've travelled all over the world but that city really was something else when it comes to hustlers trying to scam you out of a few bucks. Even officals at the dock...

Pretty harmless but it got old real quick.

when my dad was stationed in Saudi Arabia, back when i was 6 or 7, i remember taking a trip to Casablanca and Tangiers and thinking "oh shit , kind of looks like Indiana Jones Movies"

that's all i got

Oh and best advice: Cafe M in casablanca. Holy shit that's some good eats.

I went to morocco a couple years back.  Make sure to visit the blue city Chefchaouen.  Also check out Meknes.  Those were my two favorite cities.

Been there a few times. Spent time mostly in Rabat, fes, Marrakech and Casablanca. Went with my uncle and he's fluent in Arabic, French and burbur (spelling?) which is the native language. Definitely made it easier to travel around. Not to mention when a American speaks all of their languages you get the royalty treatment. I had great experiences every time I went. I freakin love Marrakech. 

TFK_likatiga -

I've spent a total of 2 years there, my wife with me for most of the time. You'll be fine and enjoy it. Just dress modestly and respect the culture and like any other place be observant of your surroundings. There's a little dodgy men only "beer garden" hidden in a side street in Marrakech. Locals only kind of place. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you directions. It's worth a visit for sure, it's where all the "observant" Muslims go to get hammered during Ramadan...

Haha I've been there.  It's a mob place.  I spent all day smoking hash with a shopkeep while making an inlay box for myself.  Afterwards I took him out for  beers at that place.  He starting rolling major hash Sophie's and we smoked and drank all night with the locals.

My advice to you is... Take warm clothing.  You're not going on a tropical vacation.  If you plan on doing a desert excursion you will want some heavy clothes to sleep in.  I ended up making a poncho out of the airline blanket and that was the only thing that made the desert trek liveable.

Bring lots of socks.  They are difficult to find in Morocco

Other than that it's going to be pretty much what you anticipate if you listen to what the others have said.

I personally did not enjoy Morocco when I was there.  I had been to Egypt and East Africa before and Morocco in comparison was meh.  Five years later though and looking back culturally speaking it was one of my most favorite locations.  The euro/African culture is complete different than the prevailing cultures of the region insofar as they have twice the cultural influence to reconcile.  This is special in the world.  My experiences abroad have led me to the conclusion that most cultures of a given continent are very similar and the nuanced differences are what make each unique apart from their overwhelming similarities.  Morocco is different than both of the regions which have influenced its current culture yet similar to both.

Enjoy your trip

very nice choices... Portugal is way underrated... lots of cool places to see.

Don't worry about Morocco - it's quite touristy and safe.

Marrakech is worth a visit (though very touristy)... interesting architecture / music / bazaars / food... and the mountains to the south are cool and not spoilt, That said, the cafe I ate breakfast in every day was bombed a week after I left and 70 people were killed. But that was a bit of an anomaly.

Fez is worth a visit, and there's some good smokie to be had up in the Atlas mountains. then you have desert trips and beaches (which I didn't go to).

It's 50/60 years since Morocco was some mysterious, undiscovered location. It's very developed and modern now. Don't worry about it... just go...

And check out a Sufi concert/ceremony if you get a chance

Fake Pie - Going to Portugal in a few weeks then Morocco. Keep hearing conflicting things, like they will harass women in the street vs. other people saying it will be fine and thousands go every year (my thoughts).

Going with my GF who is a big tittied blonde (she's a lot more than that but to be relevant...). She has agreed to wear long dresses that cover her legs and breasts to appease the local cavemen, but anyone have any other thoughts?

I'd be careful bro. I worked with a very bright, worldly, and attractive Jewish girl. She told me she went to Morroco with her partner (she's a lesbian) and she said just walking down the streets of Marrakech the locals would spit on her and curse at her. She didn't feel safe at all and left as soon as she was able to get a flight back to the European mainland. 

sorry... didn't address the big-tittedness and blondosity of GF... yeah, you will get leering tools, but brush them off with a couple of Arabic / Berber put downs and stay cool like the OG boss you are.

It's always best with local wide boy wannabe tough guys to straddle the line between easygoing and psychotic when you communicate with them. People fear what they do not understand