anyone deal with derivatives/hedge

if you look at America's richest people, they list some that made much $$ with derivative instruments.

also, i know from the financials of southwest airlines, they have made gobs of $$ hedging against fuel prices.

anyone here made money with these?

what do you mean, derivative instruments?

I hedge energy users - mostly nat gas and some heating oil - with derivatives.

hmm, so you guys have investments in the commodities and hedge them also to reduce risk? or does the derivative become the main source of cash flow?

seems to me like fuel price derivatives may have taken a hit lately since the raw prices have declined, but im just starting to learn about them, so i dont know much. is there a market tracking site or something similar to see the markets?

also, how do you guys enter into hedge contracts or whatever the term for it is?

thanks.

alotta marketing talk in here..

"hmm, so you guys have investments in the commodities and hedge them also to reduce risk? or does the derivative become the main source of cash flow?"

Well, my gig isn't an investment. I try to tailor a company's energy cash flows to their rest of the cash-flows, sometimes this involves just beating the market if they have ample credit or if energy is a small part of their budget. Other times, broader accounting parameters have to be considered.

" is there a market tracking site or something similar to see the markets?"

Any of the common financial website will list all the major commodities...CNN, Yahoo, etc.

"also, how do you guys enter into hedge contracts or whatever the term for it is?"

If you want to trade futures for yourself, you need to find a broker/futures commission merchant. There are a number of them online, with commissions as low as one or two dollars per contract. Try refco.com