Anyone dealt with AC joint issues?

I have a messed up ac joint. I was told it was "inflamed" and to take it easy and it will get better. Docs did a cortisone injection aboit two months ago and it feels better, as in I can function, but I can't imagine doing simple shit like a push up or lifting weights. This is really fucking me up and it lingers and feels like it will never get better. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0

Yup, sucks dick. Used to just be right one but now my left too. Too many pushup, dip, tricep extension reps i guess. Only gettin worse for me. Feels ok with time off but always comes back.

FloppyBBC Divac - Yup, sucks dick. Used to just be right one but now my left too. Too many pushup, dip, tricep extension reps i guess. Only gettin worse for me. Feels ok with time off but always comes back.
I first fucked it up doing bjj a few years ago. It has gotten progressively worse. Docs say it should improve, it isn't. I can't even lift bro. Phone Post 3.0

Your fucked bro!

Grade 3 A/C separation, right here!

Yes. Do NOT have a distal clavicle excision. Worst mistake I ever made.

Yeah I have damage on my left ac joint. Too many years of heavy benching and lifting, and I'm only in my early-mid thirties. I don't bench heavier than 315 these days because anything more and I'm in pain for a week.

Found the damage when I was getting scoped and scanned for the labrum and bicep head tear I have on the same side which I still refuse to have surgery on. I just can't keep my left hand up for long while training so it's mostly ground these days Phone Post 3.0

I had to quit BJJ because of my AC joint. Even after completely stopping it still took a good year or more of total inactivity to feel better but it'll never be the same as it was.

I had a grade 5 AC joint seperation. Plenty of fun. Two years, two pins and an artificial ligament later and I've come to terms with the fact it will never be the same. Phone Post 3.0

Damn Phone Post 3.0

Partial ac joint separation. Now I have pain and numbness that starts at my shoulder and goes to my elbow. I should have just had the surgery but i'd have missed a deployment.

Gforce - Yes. Do NOT have a distal clavicle excision. Worst mistake I ever made.

Sorry to hear that man. Fuck doctors for even recommending that procedure.

Scumbag Adam - I had a grade 5 AC joint seperation. Plenty of fun. Two years, two pins and an artificial ligament later and I've come to terms with the fact it will never be the same. Phone Post 3.0

Did they ever recommend the double endobutton procedure for you? Or was yours too messed up for that?

And to the OP I had a grade 2/3 shoulder separation from BJJ when I got hip tossed. I guess I got lucky and my joint has partially healed. I have not had major issues with it besides some slight weakness. It took me about 3 months to recover from it. I did have some nerve issues related to the inflammation, but those went away.

Gforce - Yes. Do NOT have a distal clavicle excision. Worst mistake I ever made.
Oh man, I had this procedure done 3 years ago and so far so good. Should I be worried for the future? Phone Post 3.0

I have a torn ac joint from one too many falls on the ice playing hockey.

A cortisone shot every once in a while takes care of it

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Scumbag Adam - I had a grade 5 AC joint seperation. Plenty of fun. Two years, two pins and an artificial ligament later and I've come to terms with the fact it will never be the same. Phone Post 3.0
I had the same. 18 years later it still feels naturally good, if not better than my other shoulder.
Maybe im lucky, cuz that was a gnarly bitch of an injury. Phone Post 3.0

I messed mine up over a decade ago doing judo. It took at least a year of therapy to get mine back to where I could do normal martial arts. I was very dedicated to the therapy and it still took that long.

To this day I sleep on the side away from the joint and have to rest my arm on a pillow to keep the aches away. Without the pillow the joint sort of slumps down and can get wrenched while I sleep.

I also had some problems for a bit with adhesions while it healed, but those eventually tore away.

Oh, and regarding the cortisone shots - I've heard that having those can permanently weaken the joint pretty badly, so it's best to steer clear if you can. My therapy was lots of gentle rubber band work, stretching, and ICE.

Mine is fucked up from playing hockey- separated my shoulder and didn't let it heal properly.

As a result, my right shoulder sits a little lower than my right.

Drives tailors nuts when I'm getting measured for jackets/shirts.

tourist - Oh, and regarding the cortisone shots - I've heard that having those can permanently weaken the joint pretty badly, so it's best to steer clear if you can. My therapy was lots of gentle rubber band work, stretching, and ICE.
This is the stuff I am wondering about. Exercises and shit I can do. Phone Post 3.0