Anyone dealt with AC joint issues?

I both cringe at your story and see how far I've come in my own knowledge. Yeah 20 some years ago I had this issue and of course docs would do the cortisone injections, which only masks the symptoms but don't help cure the cause. THEY ARE CLUELESS IDIOTS.

I've had many (mostly minor) injuries since and osteopaths, kinesiologists, chiros, ART etc have taken care of the ROOT issue of all of them and no need for stupid shots. Doctors SUCK at these guys of injuries.

Phuckles - I have a messed up ac joint. I was told it was "inflamed" and to take it easy and it will get better. Docs did a cortisone injection aboit two months ago and it feels better, as in I can function, but I can't imagine doing simple shit like a push up or lifting weights. This is really fucking me up and it lingers and feels like it will never get better. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0

I was at the gym one day and went to do a curl but I physically couldn't. I couldn't bend my arm up with any more than 20lbs in hand. It freaked me out. It turns out I strained my AC joint. It didn't hurt at all but I couldn't life. It took about 1.5 months before I could curl anything again. It probably took about 3 months before it was back to full function. 

Gforce - Yes. Do NOT have a distal clavicle excision. Worst mistake I ever made.
I had one...worked like a charm. Before the operation I couldn't lift my arm to take my shirt off after bjj, let alone attempt push ups or any other pressing exercise....no pain at all doing all the above since the procedure. Phone Post 3.0

Sprawl'n'Stall is correct. The cortisone will be an anti inflammatory, but wont heal shit.
If you have a 3rd degree, or worse separation of your AC, you could do surgery, or not. But you can rehab yourself no matter how bad it is.

The rubber bands are very good. Either in a door jamb and go down, or secure on floor and go up. You can do in front of you, at a 45 angle or to the side. When you are going up, you can turn your hand so your thumb is pointed down.

Take a basketball or cherry ball or something and stand in a pool. Push the ball underwater and control it so it doesn't breach the surface.

don't do pushups. Light weight and light resistance. Lots and lots of light reps. Strengthen your joint and keep it strong.

I ripped my shoulder apart and went to a physical therapist for a while to recover. These are the types of exercises they had me do after surgery.

have fun!

Spider Rico - Sprawl'n'Stall is correct. The cortisone will be an anti inflammatory, but wont heal shit.
If you have a 3rd degree, or worse separation of your AC, you could do surgery, or not. But you can rehab yourself no matter how bad it is.

The rubber bands are very good. Either in a door jamb and go down, or secure on floor and go up. You can do in front of you, at a 45 angle or to the side. When you are going up, you can turn your hand so your thumb is pointed down.

Take a basketball or cherry ball or something and stand in a pool. Push the ball underwater and control it so it doesn't breach the surface.

don't do pushups. Light weight and light resistance. Lots and lots of light reps. Strengthen your joint and keep it strong.

I ripped my shoulder apart and went to a physical therapist for a while to recover. These are the types of exercises they had me do after surgery.

have fun!

Damn man awesome. I will be doing this stuff for sure.

Sprawl'n'Stall - I both cringe at your story and see how far I've come in my own knowledge. Yeah 20 some years ago I had this issue and of course docs would do the cortisone injections, which only masks the symptoms but don't help cure the cause. THEY ARE CLUELESS IDIOTS.

I've had many (mostly minor) injuries since and osteopaths, kinesiologists, chiros, ART etc have taken care of the ROOT issue of all of them and no need for stupid shots. Doctors SUCK at these guys of injuries.

This. Most doctors will treat the symptom not the cause, which gives temporary relief but guarantees to keep you coming back. A good doctor, physio, chiro will find the root cause and fix the associated complicating factors.

How many of you guys with AC injuries had doctors check your first and second rib? Doctors will treat the shoulder, sometimes treat the clavicle and scapula but often miss the first and second rib which also contribute to the function of the shoulder.

UGCTT_Teila_Tuli's_Tooth - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - I both cringe at your story and see how far I've come in my own knowledge. Yeah 20 some years ago I had this issue and of course docs would do the cortisone injections, which only masks the symptoms but don't help cure the cause. THEY ARE CLUELESS IDIOTS.

This. Most doctors will treat the symptom not the cause, which gives temporary relief but guarantees to keep you coming back. A good doctor, physio, chiro will find the root cause and fix the associated complicating factors.

How many of you guys with AC injuries had doctors check your first and second rib? Doctors will treat the shoulder, sometimes treat the clavicle and scapula but often miss the first and second rib which also contribute to the function of the shoulder.

I was never a fan of the cortisone shot but did it to stop the pain, even if temporary. What about dry needling? I have heard good things about it.