Anyone donate blood for their own health?

Was talking with friend after getting my terrible cholesterol/triglycerides numbers back from blood test and then at physical I had a 150/90 BP. She said why not donate blood. Then I looked up benefits and it’s legit. helping other people too is okay but yeah it’s good for me

Donating blood at least once a year could reduce your risk of a heart attack by 88 percent, according to a study conducted by the American Journal of Epidemiology.* This relates to the iron issue again, says Dr. David Dragoo, healthcare expert at Money Crashers.

Dr. Dragoo explains that high levels of iron in the blood constrict your blood vessels and create more risk of a heart attack. Depleting those extra iron deposits by donating blood gives your vessels more room to operate.

Doesn’t it also thin your blood a bit? See TRT guys using it to lower hemocrit I think, no?

I always enjoy the buzz from alcohol after donating earlier in the day.

1 Like

Yes, bloodletting has many legit benefits.
I’ve even used leach therapy.

1 Like

A few of my friends and I used to give blood when we were in high school and college and immediately start drinking beer as soon as we were through.

A few beers will give you a very nice buzz when you’re down a pint of blood.

if it has so much benefits why don’t doctors recommend it?

This is why women have less heart attacks. They bleed 1x a month. (Total bro science, but makes sense to me)

1 Like

I mean maybe when I’m like…50

I give power reds every 4 months. I surpassed two gallons last month. To think in those terms it’s kinda gross but apparently it actually helps people so…

I wanna hit the ten gallon milestone

1 Like

I do. I am not 100% confident in the studies showing benefit but i do feel like there is something there. I do buy into the iron hypothesis for explaining at least some of the massive difference in heart disease risk between men and women… even though it hasn’t been proven.

I think at worst it probably won’t hurt me and I’m helping people. I donate 3-4 times a year.

I donate whole blood every 2 months (56 days). I’m aware of the potential health benefits, and I’m optimistic that it does help.
It’s also become a matter of routine for me. And, it’s a GREAT feeling when I get an email from the Blood Bank informing me that my donation was used to save a life.

1 Like

This is the best way to do it. Harder to get an appt but much better for your health benefits.

I worked hard putting enough drugs and booze in my blood to keep me going and I will be damned if someone else benefits from this without at least a hand job.

2 Likes

I get a 5 dollar amazon card for doing it weeeee

I just pound Oreos right after

I’m obviously not a doctor but getting rid of ‘old’ blood makes sense to me from an aquarium point of view
You have a filter in a fish tank that cleans the water but leaves nitrates behind, something non toxic in low amounts, but to avoid building up nitrates in the water, you have to remove tank water and replace with fresh, clean water.
I can see something similar applying to our blood.

1 Like

If you take TRT you’ll probably need to donate. Isn’t that why Randy Couture had a heart attack because he didn’t give blood on TRT???

1 Like

I’m at 3 gallon. I haven’t donated since 2019 though. I got a tattoo in France 01/2020 and they made me ineligible for a year.

You’re just thrilled your blood tested negative after everything you’ve put your penis in.

“I passed!”

1 Like