Anyone else excited to see Charles Oliveira fight?

Guy has good stand up and a very active guard. In his last fight they said he was still only a purple belt too. He has a big future in the LW division.

Yup, a loss to Jim Miller shouldn't have anyone less excited about him.  He's an exciting fighter.

jjj2121 -  Yup, a loss to Jim Miller shouldn't have anyone less excited about him.  He's an exciting fighter.

IMO if he beats Nik Lentz than his style is the answer to lay and pray lol. He chains his submissions together and never waits to attack.

Cool Charles Oliveira HL video (blue namers please)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqC5pCVZGPM

He is awesome to watch . I am excited to see him fight .

I've rolled with Lentz before.. That guy is a fuckign blanket - his top game is incredible although not active.

If Oliviera can put it on Lentz - he's doing BIG things. Losing to Miller means little - Miller is a G.

He was doing great in his fight with Miller too, he just looked like he got cocky and gave Jim the kneebah. Phone Post

I really like watching this guy. And he has all the tools and potential to be a champ one day.

But, just from looking at his build, I think he would be better suited for 145lbs. I think he actually weighted in under 155lbs for the Miller fight? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oliveira is one of my favorite prospects. Id love to see him sub Lentz. Phone Post

Agreed. 145/135 would be better for him. Phone Post

He's fun to watch. Hopefully he makes Lentz entertaining.

Big fan of Charles Oliveira since his first fight. Aggressive BJJ player = exciting to watch.
I thought he was a BB though. Wow. No shame in losing to Miller then.

Loved his first two fights, feel like they fed him to the sharks(i.e Jim miller) way too quickly. I see him beating lentz werever the fight goes Phone Post

do BRONX!!!

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

The UFC doesn't like Nik Lentz, do you think if he loses he'll be cut?

One of the most exciting fighters off his back Phone Post

UFC on Versus 4 – Charles Oliveira says he’ll take big risks to earn big rewards against Nik Lentz

June 16, 2011 All MMA News, UFC No Comments

UFC lightweight prospect, Charles Oliveira has been giving his thoughts on his upcoming fight next weekend with Nik Lentz on the UFC on Versus 4 card in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, explaining how he’ll take big risks inside the octagon to earn himself big rewards.

Speaking via ProMMANow.com, Oliveira said:

“I want to be the champ [and a win] will help me get closer to my goal of being the youngest ever UFC champ. I train four times a day [working on] jiu-jitsu, striking, sparring, and cardio. Training with Macaco is great, [and I’m working] with a lot of good training partners.”

“[Lentz] is very good and very underrated. He is from a great camp. He has won his last seven fights [and] he has a big win over Tyson Griffin. I look to finish all the time. I will take big risks for big rewards. I want to be known as a[n] exciting fighter, and exciting fighters do not go to the decisions.”

“I am ready to fight wherever the fight goes. [Lentz] can pick where he wants to fight [because] I am ready to fight standing or on the ground.”

read the rest here

TXMMA Technique of the Week – UFC Lightweight Charles “do Bronx” Oliviera!

HOUSTON, TX, June 20, 2011 -This coming Saturday, highly-touted UFC lightweight phenom Charles “do Bronx” Oliviera (14-1) will be making his return on the undercard of UFC Live: Marquardt vs. Story versus El Paso-born Nik Lentz (21-3-2) who curently resides and trains in Minnesota alongside former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk.

As a long-time student of storied 3rd degree BJJ black belt and Chute Boxe veteran Jorge “Macaco” Patino of Gold Team USA, Charles recently finished up camp for UFC LIVE with Macaco at Gold Team’s Houston headquarters.

While in town, Oliviera, his coach, and fellow Macaco pupil Erick Cardozo taught a three-hour seminar courtesy of his sponsor Dethrone for anyone wanting to attend – at only a $20 fee! For that price, seminar attendees were treated to a showcase of many of the techniques that has gotten Charles Oliviera to the UFC, including a variety of sweeps, passes, and an innovative assortment of lapel chokes (GI) along with some other creative maneuvers applicable to No-Gi and MMA.

You can check out a slideshow and photo gallery from this seminar at the bottom of the page.

On the way there, LIKE us on Facebook and enjoy the TXMMA Technique of the Week featuring Gold Team’s Charles “do Bronx” Oliviera!

Step 1 – Charles Oliviera starts on top of Erick Cardozo in side control position. To maintain control, Charles is controlling the neck with his left arm while using his right arm to block off Erick’s far-side hip.

Step 2 – Notice that Charles’ own right leg is up on the (left) hip as well – preventing Erick from recovering his guard. From this position, Charles will use his forearm on the neck in concert with his knee to start turning Erick to the side.

Step 3 – Now that he has Erick turned to the side and potentially trying to run his hip away, Charles will then drop his right hip to the floor and working to slide his right leg underneath while trapping Erick’s left arm behind his back to attain the crucifix position.

Step 4 – Now that Charles has Erick’s left arm trapped (preventing him from running his hip away), Charles will work to secure his grip around Erick’s neck while simultaneously blocking off Erick’s left arm with his own foot.

Step 5 – Now that Charles has his grip secured tightly to put pressure on Erick’s neck while trapping him in place with the crucifix…

Step 6 – Charles will use his strong grip around Erick’s neck coupled will the leg keeping his body in place to apply pressure and finish the submission.

Photos  - Gold Team’s June 17th Seminar – Sponsored by DETHRONE

read the rest here

He doesn't hold people enough for me. I want to see him start pressing people against the cage for extended periods of time too.

yeah, he might be just be TOO exciting, needs to add some lay and pray in there, less actual fighting/subbing...