Anyone else find Danaher a bit...annoying?

I was just watching the Gordon/Ralek match and as much as I want to like Danaher, hearing him bark out “Gordon Ryan” instead of just calling him Gordon seems so weird.  It’s like he’s trying to sound overly intellectual on purpose rather than it just happening naturally.  Also, I find it very strange how he takes moves and positions with well accepted names and calls them all their Japanese names.  Again, if you’re intelligent people will see it through you just being normal.  You don’t have to go out of your way to do things to try to convince them of your brainpower.  I don’t know, it just seems like it comes off a bit strange.  

1 Like

Yeah he seemed like a real douche when Joe interviewed him.  It looked like he was trying to make Joe look like he didn't know shit about jiu jitsu by asking weird questions.  I get the feeling he has contempt for most practitioners, like he believes a large portion of teachers are illegitimate.

2 Likes

I did probably 25-30 privates with John way back in 2001-04 time period.  He was brown belt when we started and black by time I moved away. 

I’m very average and was def a waste Of his time, but he was never douchy or condescending.   

I always felt like he was open and honest and told me what I should do for my body and game and he was always curious and digging deep into topics. 

Probably implemented the Japanese names because he is intellectually oriented, took time to dig into base material and bonus that shouting them in matches was largely not understood by opponents back when he started it. 

First we have to back up and answer the fundamental question: “What is 'annoyance”? by analysing it’s primary constituent component: vexation.

13 Likes
hedgefunder -

I did probably 25-30 privates with John way back in 2001-04 time period.  He was brown belt when we started and black by time I moved away. 

I’m very average and was def a waste Of his time, but he was never douchy or condescending.   

I always felt like he was open and honest and told me what I should do for my body and game and he was always curious and digging deep into topics. 

Probably implemented the Japanese names because he is intellectually oriented, took time to dig into base material and bonus that shouting them in matches was largely not understood by opponents back when he started it. 

I know he uses the Japanese names because the Brazilians didn’t bother to use names for a lot of the stuff and he believes having a name for all the moves is very important.  I get his rationale, and he basically needs to use the Japanese names or make up new ones of his own.

JoejitsuMD -

I was just watching the Gordon/Ralek match and as much as I want to like Danaher, hearing him bark out “Gordon Ryan” instead of just calling him Gordon seems so weird.  It’s like he’s trying to sound overly intellectual on purpose rather than it just happening naturally.  Also, I find it very strange how he takes moves and positions with well accepted names and calls them all their Japanese names.  Again, if you’re intelligent people will see it through you just being normal.  You don’t have to go out of your way to do things to try to convince them of your brainpower.  I don’t know, it just seems like it comes off a bit strange.  

Do you really think he is going out of his way to sound intelligent?

I don't think so.

Calhoon - 
JoejitsuMD -

Do you really think he is going out of his way to sound intelligent?

I don't think so.

He’s obviously intelligent, but you can see the “mad genius” persona has gotten to his head and he loves playing it up. Basically what Shen did above. He can’t just tell a story about a stuntman that taught him how to show his students to handle the pressure of the big stage - It has to be “Have I told you the ‘Parable of The Plank’” where he stretches a 90 second story into 5 minutes. And as mentioned before, he was major douchey on Rogan’s show.

He's been the smartest guy in the room for too many years. Maybe easy to do in bjj.

4 Likes

I get weird vibes from him. I feel like he's buying into his own hype. Give me a Paul Schreiner or Lachlan Giles anyday

2 Likes
JohnanthanDoe - 
hedgefunder -

I know he uses the Japanese names because the Brazilians didn’t bother to use names for a lot of the stuff and he believes having a name for all the moves is very important.  I get his rationale, and he basically needs to use the Japanese names or make up new ones of his own.

That doesn’t make sense for a lot of Japanese names he uses

Like for Triangle and armbar, everyone has always called them that, but he uses Sankuku and Juji Gatame

He does this for a lot of moves that had names that the majority used

He obviously is a weird dude, he wears rashguards to weddings and in everyday life

He says strangle for choke when everyone calls it a choke

He is definitely a character, with that said he has some of the best instructionals out, I just laugh at all the weird stuff and sayings now, its part of the experience lol

Incredibly so. He’s definitely build his brand around a guru persona that he cultivates and promotes at every opportunity.

liquidrob - 
JohnanthanDoe - 
hedgefunder -

Like for Triangle and armbar, everyone has always called them that, but he uses Sankuku and Juji Gatame

Exccept that default names in Judo are Juji Gatame and Sankaku Jime. That is how it is always been. I never learned to call it the straight arm-bar, we just called it Juji Gatame. I never heard “triangle choke” until BJJ, it was always called Sankaku. He is just using Japanese terms that were mostly found in Judo.

HotSteppa - 
liquidrob - 
JohnanthanDoe - 
hedgefunder -

Exccept that default names in Judo are Juji Gatame and Sankaku Jime. That is how it is always been. I never learned to call it the straight arm-bar, we just called it Juji Gatame. I never heard “triangle choke” until BJJ, it was always called Sankaku. He is just using Japanese terms that were mostly found in Judo.

Of course that’s what they called them, but when Danaher started BJJ I’m sure his teachers used triangle and armbar, its not like he had to make names up for moves that BJJ people didn’t have a name for

If that’s what he always called them before starting BJJ then fine, that’s what he says, its pretty apparent he likes using Japanese terms for a lot of moves, but let’s not pretend he had to use Japanese terms because names were not giving yet

Eddie Bravo uses a lot of variations and names he made and always has because there wasn’t many names for his different positions they get into, Eddie’s are just obnoxious and he knows it lol

for the leg game it makes sense for the names he uses because Single Leg X wasn’t used much, I think Maia called it Anaconda guard or something before that

Lachlan calls his leglock position Outside Sankaku mostly as a joke and it stuck lol

Side note: He should have gave it a better name, but thats another discussion

And strangle is the correct term. Choke refers to restriction of the airways, strangle is restriction of the blood supply. Again in Judo, you’ll rarely hear the term “choke”. Or at least you never used to, maybe now with the popularity of BJJ and MMA you might hear “choke” being used as the description.

James

1 Like

With that said, after watching his armbar instructional I do like to hear Juji all the time lol, he loves some Jujis

![](upload://ORO73NML3kbsqU80t65RbIMsMC.jpeg)

Someone should tell Rickson that his documentary was misnamed

Rickson Gracie in Shimekorosu!

yes, but i find gordon ryan far more irritating

Craig Jones is the only non irritating bjj man, change my mind