Anyone else finding Trump hate alienating friends?

A person's political affiliation shouldn't matter. That said I don't understand how close friends of mine can be posting what they do on social media knowing how close the election was, and knowing that they must be insulting half of those around them.

Social media, dinner parties etc. No one is afraid to start in on this, so they must be thinking that there is no way that anyone thinks differently than they do.

I have friends that run tv ads for their business where they insult Trump and his supporters. Why would you alienate half of your customers? I don't get it.

It's like perfectly reasonable, intelligent, well off people have suddenly lost their minds. They are no longer socially aware of those around them, or aware of the fact that others may have differing opinions and just rant about Trump supporters being racists and misogynists despite being in a room full of people who have been friends for decades.

Anyone else seeing this in real life?

no

Well if anyone voted for Trump, I demand that they un-friend me now.

Yes, it's called virtue signaling. A narrative was created about Trump and his supporters as them being racists and bigots. In order to capitalize on that sentiment, people and businesses  publicly claim to be anti-Trump. They just want more money, or internet butt-pats.

I have a good buddy that has fashioned himself as quite the Liberal lately (he's 38 years old). He never shares on FB but has shared a few thing lately.... one of which was from teh Huffinton Post starring Keith Olberman. Im not sure when or WHY he started this shit. I believe its bc he works with all republicans and he's the type of dude to just do the opposite of people he feels he is better than. It doesnt affect our frindship but sometimes we rib on each other. Im not really a republican either but I have come to HATE these ultra lib retards with their made up facts and made up narratives that have become common place today. And no I sure has hell didnt vote Trump and I would cut my hand off before I would vote Hilldawg. I wrote in Theo Epstein... the only man that can turn this country around!!!!

Theo2020.

I have a friend who left facebook because of the trump hate but all he does is complain about having to leave facebook.

Then his ex wife left facebook because of the trump love and then all she does is complain about the trump love causing her to lave facebook.

The two of them in a room is awesome.

scrambull -

Yes, it's called virtue signaling. A narrative was created about Trump and his supporters as them being racists and bigots. In order to capitalize on that sentiment, people and businesses  publicly claim to be anti-Trump. They just want more money, or internet butt-pats.

This. I can't stand Trump but his detractors annoy me enough with their over the top virtue signaling that I hate them too. It is hard to have a lot of friends when you say both sides are full of shit because it seems most people have picked a side.

I find it odd because before Trump was running, there was nothing from these particular people except fun stuff and good natured jabs. It was a lot of fun. Now many of them only post completely idiotic Trump memes or links to videos meant to denigrate Trump and those who support him.

It's not what they post that bothers me, it's the fact that close friends that I considered intelligent people, suddenly don't care (or know) that they must be insulting others by making sweeping generalizations.

They can't believe that the entire world thinks what they think with no opposing position.

"...knowing how close the election was..."

It wasn't close. Most people in America do not like Trump.

However, I agree with your point about not doing this.

Dougie - 

I have a friend who left facebook because of the trump hate but all he does is complain about having to leave facebook.

Then his ex wife left facebook because of the trump love and then all she does is complain about the trump love causing her to lave facebook.

The two of them in a room is awesome.

I guess it depends on your group of friends because all I see is Trump hate. It's just so odd to me that people are so blatantly willing to voice such hate filled (on either side) opinions publicly.

It's brave, I'll give them that.

i would never dare reveal who I voted for  to any of my clients.

If they start spouting pro trump or anti trump stuff....i'm pretty good at playing along and then moving the convo away from that stuff....sometimes ive had to straight up lie and play into their hate rhetoric just to humor them

my wife would basically get blackballed if any of her colleagues or clients found out her husband voted Trump

these days there are dire consequences for being so open about your political affiliations, esp when it comes to business

sad!

Not here. People protest on the side of the roads but they dont block the roads so Im cool.

I listen to what my lib friends have to say and they somewhat listen to me.

Ogami Itto - "...knowing how close the election was..."

Most elections are pretty close, relatively speaking. Even if the popular vote was won by a few million, that still means that you're insulting potentially approximately 65 million people.

Ogami Itto - "...knowing how close the election was..."

many people who do not like Trump, voted for Trump

mywself as an example

lol @ saying "it wasn't close" bc "most people in America do not like Trump"

he won the election, and DOMINATED, DECIMATED, and EMBARASSED the dems the electoral college

so yeah, in that sense, it was not close

In Limbo - 

If they start spouting pro trump or anti trump stuff....i'm pretty good at playing along and then moving the convo away from that stuff....sometimes ive had to straight up lie and play into their hate rhetoric just to humor them

my wife would basically get blackballed if any of her colleagues or clients found out her husband voted Trump

these days there are dire consequences for being so open about your political affiliations, esp when it comes to business

sad!

I guess this is where I'm really going with this. I've never seen such division among people due to politics. And to see people do the exact opposite of what you are describing on tv ads for their business, just boggles my mind.

Would anyone here walk into a crowded room and loudly start proclaiming that anyone who doesn't agree with your politics is an idiot?

Because that's what many of these people are doing.

sparkyman - 

Most elections are pretty close, relatively speaking. Even if the popular vote was won by a few million, that still means that you're insulting potentially approximately 65 million people.

But I think what the numbers in the election suggest is that most people do not like Trump, that if you say "fuck Trump" in a room full of people - depending on where you are - more people in that room will probably agree with you. And the poll numbers seem to reinforce that.

At least, that's perhaps the perception - like I said, I agree people shouldn't say that.

In Limbo:

That's not what I said. I did not say "it was close because" I said "it was close" and "most people." Two separate sentences. It wasn't a close election in the popular vote: fact. Most people don't like Trump i.e. most people did not vote for him: also fact. People think this and his performance in the first 100 days gives them license to speak ill of him without caution, is all I'm saying.

In Limbo -

sad!

If I told you which members of Trump's cabinet I actually work with and for, you would laugh your ass off considering I am a huge critic of his.

Always funny to listen to a table full of people who swear they know someone because they see them on tv or read about them in an article.

"these days there are dire consequences for being so open about your political affiliations, esp when it comes to business"

Agreed, twenty years ago it used to be a difference in philosophy of government, now how you vote seems to define you as an individual.

But I would never, ever, ever divulge my voting record to a client.

scrambull -

It reminds me of years ago if someone went to church every sunday and espoused to be a good "insert religion"  they felt it was a license to do whatever they wanted without scrutiny.

Many of the loudest people regarding their non support for trump are guilty of the things they hate the most about him, and are among the first to make sweeping general statements regarding race, sexual orientation, closed mindedness, intolerance, etc.

Most of the people I know who voted for trump did so not out of love for trump but because they didn't like Hillary or the direction the democratic party was going and didn't see him as being any worse than her.  Most that I know still feel the same way.

Ogami Itto -
sparkyman - 

But I think what the numbers in the election suggest is that most people do not like Trump, that if you say "fuck Trump" in a room full of people - depending on where you are - more people in that room will probably agree with you. And the poll numbers seem to reinforce that.

At least, that's perhaps the perception - like I said, I agree people shouldn't say that.

In Limbo:

That's not what I said. I did not say "it was close because" I said "it was close" and "most people." Two separate sentences. It wasn't a close election in the popular vote: fact. Most people don't like Trump i.e. most people did not vote for him: also fact. People think this and his performance in the first 100 days gives them license to speak ill of him without caution, is all I'm saying.

sorry, i misinterpreted