Anyone else get gouged by Uber on Halloween?

I got hit with 5x surge pricing. $20-$25 ride cost me $109.25. :(

I knew it was coming, and its way cheaper than a DUI, but hot damn I was not pleased to see that when I woke up the next morning hungover.

you ever heard of taxi cabs man?

Its not gouged if you agreed to it.

What in the fuck is uber anyways? Phone Post 3.0

shaqitup - you ever heard of taxi cabs man?

I can't really say why I didn't take a taxi as I don't remember that part of the night

Yea I barely avoided the surge pricing as it was called. Me and 2 buddies took turns payingil and the most expensive ride was 15 dollars
We wondered what the surge pricing was about. Thank god we didn't get hit with it Phone Post 3.0

IDOHARM - What in the fuck is uber anyways? Phone Post 3.0

I think it's a service where people just sign up to be drivers and come pick you up.

It's kind of like being a cabbie but without actually being a cabbie.

It's supposed to be cheaper or something.

The trendy new ride service. Basically an app on your phone that you hit if you want a ride, driver comes and picks you up in minutes, drops you off. The ride is charged to your credit card, and you don't need to tip or anything. It's wayyyyyy cheaper than a taxi (like 60-70% cheaper), but they sometimes will jack up the prices during high volume periods (lke Halloween).

Happened to me after a Husky game. Was also blacked out and pissed the next day.

dizz -

The trendy new ride service. Basically an app on your phone that you hit if you want a ride, driver comes and picks you up in minutes, drops you off. The ride is charged to your credit card, and you don't need to tip or anything. It's wayyyyyy cheaper than a taxi (like 60-70% cheaper), but they sometimes will jack up the prices during high volume periods (lke Halloween).
That sounds like an easy way to get stabbed/robbed on both ends. Phone Post 3.0

there have been news stories here about Uber and surge pricing fucking a lot of people lately. People take a ride that was $50 one-way and then take the same ride home and hav ea $500.00 fare to pay. 

If its raining or holoween or something there is more demand for rides, therefore higher prices.

IDOHARM -
dizz -

That sounds like an easy way to get stabbed/robbed on both ends. Phone Post 3.0
So far there have been very few incidents like that Phone Post 3.0

$40 cab ride costed me $211. I would rather not use uber but there were literally no cabs left in the city. Phone Post 3.0

i hope they tell u the price beforehand

5x is a steal compared to this 9x story:

?

A young woman got the surprise of her life when she woke up on November 1, her birthday, to find an Uber charge of $362 dollars on her card for a 20-minute ride because her fare fell victim to Uber's 9x surge pricing. Just in time for rent day.

In a GoFundMe campaign titled "Uber Stole My 26th Birthday," Gabrielle Wathen, currently juggling three jobs, explains that despite normally using Lyft, she decided to Uber a ride home at 3am after celebrating her birthday. The ride was only 20-22 minutes, but:

When I awoke this morning, I heard a friend talking about how outrageous Uber rates were the night before (9x original rate). I checked my bank account when, unbeknowst to me, I see a charge for $362. Not only is it my 26th birthday, it is rent day. My rent is $450 and I can no longer pay it today due to this completely outrageous charge.

This misunderstanding has cost me 80% of the funds I have to my name (embarrassingly so) and I spent a good two hours of my birthday crying over it.

I feel taken advantage of and cheated by the Uber name. $367 for a 20 minute ride should never be justified, even on Halloween. Please donate even just $1 if you think this is utter and complete bullshit and also hilarious and very, very depressing at the same time.

Thanks for the ride, Muhammed.

So far she has raised $593 of her $362 goal, so I'm guessing she made rent and was able to have a nice birthday treat. Smart lady. Fuck Uber. Phone Post 3.0

ranier wolfcastle - 

i hope they tell u the price beforehand

Their is a disclaimer when you open the app or something. There have been stories on this here locally. Here is one: 

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/uber-ride-costs-woman-362-on-halloween-night

AN FRANCISCO - For Gabrielle Wathen, the scariest part of Halloween was looking at her credit card statement the next morning.

The 26-year-old was shocked to find she'd been charged $362 for an Uber cab ride — despite only taking a 20-minute trip.

See the above video for more on the story, including why the fare was so ridiculous.

Clint Davis is a writer for the E.W. Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @MrClintDavis.

In fairness to Uber, they warn you about the surge pricing before you book it. It'll say what the multiple surge is. So that woman bitching about being surprised about the 9x surge price is prolly full of shit.

I just didn't pay attention to it, apparently, because I was blacked out.

So what is their justification, because they can? Phone Post 3.0

The justification is that it draws more drivers to the area (certainly makes sense to me).

Also, they make you fucking type in the surge multiplier so you really can't go with the 'poor me, I didn't know' play dumb bullshit.

I personally just sat outside in the freezing cold til the 3.75x surge disappeared. Phone Post 3.0