Anyone else having trouble hiring??

I have a couple of line cook positions open for $12-15/hr depending on experience. (Plus free shift drinks and i dont care if they smoke weed on their own time.) I know it's not a lot of money, but I can't find a single qualified person. Every restaurant owner I know is saying the same thing. Phone Post 3.0

Pay more, simple solution, that's I told my previous employer Phone Post 3.0

The audacity of this line cooks, how dare they won't work for dishwasher money?!!!

That is a bit much but as far as I know you won't find a good cook for that $ Phone Post 3.0

Youths are assholes Phone Post 3.0

Where are you? I've filled a couple of kitchen positions recently with Bolivians. Maduro and Chavez before him fucked shit up that anyone who can leave is and looking for work in America.

You guys all think $15/hr is shit money to drop wings and flip burgers? Phone Post 3.0

How many drinks are we talking? Phone Post 3.0

5 years ago, I started all employees at minimum wage.

Last year I started everyone at $10 per hour.

Now, I am giving everyone raises and hiring QUALIFIED, EXPERIENCED employees at $14 plus commissions...

Want better? Pay Better.

LiMbTwIsTeR - You guys all think $15/hr is shit money to drop wings and flip burgers? Phone Post 3.0
YES. Long hours standing. You should try it Phone Post 3.0

I was employee of the month at a Jason's Deli...I will work for $15.01 an hour out of principle and I want to be able to smoke weed ON the job. BALLS IN YOUR COURT! Phone Post 3.0

LiMbTwIsTeR - You guys all think $15/hr is shit money to drop wings and flip burgers? Phone Post 3.0

No its actually decent money for the work and experience required.

But try telling that to this entitled generation that cant live without beatsby dre, the newest iphones and Air Jordans and think they know everything at 20 without really knowing anything.

MMAFAN167 -
LiMbTwIsTeR - You guys all think $15/hr is shit money to drop wings and flip burgers? Phone Post 3.0
Try it? Lol, not a job in the place I haven't done.

My head pub chef gets $850/week. My number two does sauté for $15/hr for 40hrs plus OT. The open positions are for running fryers and grill. Im not paying some little pill popper $20/hr to make wings. Phone Post 3.0

Mphelan - Where are you? I've filled a couple of kitchen positions recently with Bolivians. Maduro and Chavez before him fucked shit up that anyone who can leave is and looking for work in America.
If you are serious (and they are legal), I may have housing available as well. Upstate NY. Phone Post 3.0

It's rough out there right now. Lots of competition from the big box stores and fast food chains for low level employees.
Also a line cook job for $15 would be pretty decent where I live.

Spent a month trying to hire someone. I placed ads and would get tons of responses immediately via email, including what seemed to be thoughtful cover letters stating why they would love to work for me.

Then I attempt to contact and no response via email or phone. Just don't get why they put in the time to send me their info and write a cover letter. Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 -

My brother is a chef and has the same problem. Currently he is managing several eateries for a very upscale organization.

Your pay is inline with industry standard.

According to my brother he has trouble getting line cooks, and the kids out of culinary school are more concerned with getting on a Food Network show than learning their craft.

A coworker has a kid who graduated from CIA and got offered a job for $17 at a fine dining spot in Manhattan. He scoffed at it and said he won't work for less than 100k. He is currently working for a shitty wine distributor based in Jersey and not making close to 100k.

Good luck man, hopefully someone will come along.

He hit the nail on the head. Congrats on your community college culinary program degree kid, but I'm not starting you at $50k/yr. However, you get to wear PJs to work, you don't need to take a drug test, and you can sleep in. Plus I give them $25/week in Cask Bucks that they can accumulate up to $200 if they want to take some friends out to the pub on me.

Cooking is a labor of love. Almost nobody becomes a chef to get rich. Phone Post 3.0

LiMbTwIsTeR - You guys all think $15/hr is shit money to drop wings and flip burgers? Phone Post 3.0

Sounds about right.

It's not rocket science.

Is this in an expensive city like SF or NY? I know people would be all over those jobs here in the midwest.

MMAFAN167 - 

I've done it for less

np problem

Same problem. Then I get people who take the job then don't show up. Why the fuck would you take the job just not to show up. Had one girl call at 12:30 in the morning to say she wasn't going to take the job. 

TFK_shampoohorn - It's rough out there right now. Lots of competition from the big box stores and fast food chains for low level employees.
Also a line cook job for $15 would be pretty decent where I live.

Spent a month trying to hire someone. I placed ads and would get tons of responses immediately via email, including what seemed to be thoughtful cover letters stating why they would love to work for me.

Then I attempt to contact and no response via email or phone. Just don't get why they put in the time to send me their info and write a cover letter. Phone Post 3.0
It's wild. I got an email yesterday and asked for a contact number to further discuss. The guy sends me his number but doesn't pick up his phone. He doesn't even have voice-mail! Who on earth starts looking for a job but can't be bothered to set up and listen to voice-mail? A guy that no-shows you three days in, that's who. Phone Post 3.0