Anyone else losing interest in MMA?

Anyone else feel like this.

Personally I feel like the "stand and and wang" bug has (thanks largely to pressure from Dana and company) ruined MMA.

As of now, 90% of the time we end up with either a slop-box match for 15 minutes, or a guy scoring takedowns and rabbit punch for 15 minutes.

Never thought I would say it, but Im getting burnt out on MMA. Maybe in the future the skill level will go up again.

It's called growing up fren

two grown men in a cage beating on each other can only be so entertaining for so long.

Yes. I've never considered that that could be the reason, but I do prefer ground fighting to striking generally.

Yep.

It was great when it had some connection to reality (as in two guys have a legit fight). The more it has become like boxing, the less I like it.

Einux - Anyone else feel like this.

Personally I feel like the "stand and and wang" bug has (thanks largely to pressure from Dana and company) ruined MMA.

As of now, 90% of the time we end up with either a slop-box match for 15 minutes, or a guy scoring takedowns and rabbit punch for 15 minutes.

Never thought I would say it, but Im getting burnt out on MMA. Maybe in the future the skill level will go up again.

too true

watching skill vs skill is overall entertaining

kinda tired of watching tank abbott truck driving bar fights in a cage

B_Goetz - Yes. I've never considered that that could be the reason, but I do prefer ground fighting to striking generally.
Lol this is so true.But I still love it.

My interest has been waning since the demise of Pride.

I still follow the sport, of course, but it has become homogenized to a large extent.

UFC needs to revise their promotion tactics if MMA is to enjoy the level of success it has to this point.

"Yes. I've never considered that that could be the reason, but I do prefer ground fighting to striking generally."

I don't have a preference, I just get really bored watching sloppy fights.

It just seems here in the last few years, the focus changed.

Ground fighting takes years and years to become halfway decent at (same as standup).

Just seems like here in the last few years guys are content at becoming just "tough" in each area, and not really taking the time to actually become skilled in any area.

So we end up...again with a lot of slop-boxing matches on the feet, and barn burning rabbit punching contests on the ground.

We may be reaching the end of the trend, where MMA goes the way of Robot Wars and some new fringe sport takes up the slack.

FloridaStriker - It's called growing up fren

two grown men in a cage beating on each other can only be so entertaining for so long.

So have you "grown up" and moved on from MMA?

I can only shake my head at people still trying to blame Dana for this sinsiter "pressure" to "stand and wang".

All you have to do is look at Guida, the most egregious lay and prayer ever according to this forum, being featured on one card after another, several times as the headliner, to realize how ridiculous that is.

Or you could look at Diaz/Stevenson, a fight spent entirely on the ground, getting FotN bonus. Or you could think about why Sub of the night gets just as big a bonus as KO of the night. Or you could look at how Hughes, Sherk, Maia, Leites, Condit, Guida, GSP, Bader, Stevenson, Diaz, Edgar, Fitch, Mir, Cain, Nog, and many, many more have been pushed very hard, given title shots, headlined shows, etc, despite being primarily or entirely ground fighters.

"UFC needs to revise their promotion tactics if MMA is to enjoy the level of success it has to this point."

Except their PPVs keep doing more buys. And even Affliction is getting respectable numbers.

If you're losing interest in the entire sport after 15 years its because you either don't train or you don't follow that closely. I get bored of shitty matchmaking; the sloppy boxing and the lay and pry for sure... but that is not the majority of MMA. And of course the better people get the closer matches will be. That is true in any sport, however if you LOVE the SPORT then you will cherish those technical matches. Yeah its fun to see a sick sub or a KO and we need those, but I love the 5 round technical battle. I can watch ADCC 30 minute grappling matches too, though, cause I LOVE grappling. The focus of much of the UFC has changed, but I don;t think all of MMA has. The UFC has changed because of the popularity. The fair weather fan, the newbie wants to see street brawls. They are the ones that pay the bills. That is why the die hard fans and competitors would at times rather the sport stay in obscurity.

It is a double edged sword. If it becomes popular it will get watered down, and will have to cater to the new larger fan base and lose what makes it great. If it remains in obscurity, then no one makes any money. So as die hard fans we have to put up with the WWE stuff, the Lesnars, the Tank vs Kimbos, etc to get the Maia vs Silvas. the BJs vs Aokis, Deigo vs Karo, etc. But if you truly love the sport, appreciate the training and the technique, etc those fights make up for it.

I have not missed one major televised event in almost 16 years; been to hundreds live, hundreds of boxing, grappling, BJJ, Muay Thai, etc as well... and I still look forward to every event.

I can't get sick of it... FOr me it would be like getting sick of breathing, but I also don't watch hockey or basketball or anything else.

The "Ninja Warrior" marathon was on and I found myself clicking over to that more and more...

Linux - Anyone else feel like this.

It's ok to feel that way, MMA doesn't have to be a classic every single time, that's what makes "some" events outta this world! You might like fight movies, but not all of them are great, matter of fact, they might just plain suck.... but then again one will come along that you drive everyone nuts about telling over & over the high lites of it. (Then they tie a rope around your neck & hook it to the neighbors car as they leave for the weekend.) 

But the only way to know this is to see them all.... :o)

as soon as i start to feel that way, ill see an event like WEC 41, the last Strikeforce, or even Bellator XI, and that feeling comes back

im losing interest in watching ultimate wrestling

lol, I like how one post after "ultimate wrestling" complains about sub par boxing.  Not that both of you don't have a point, but I don't think there's one thing that's "killing" MMA.  Some fights and fighters are good, some are not.

FloridaStriker - 

I disagree

.... maybe your interest were at an unhealthy level, and now you're just becoming normal again?

i totally agree with einux about the ufc and much of the smaller shows.

dream and bellator seem to have some more interesting fights with a better mix of stand up and ground action.

I was amazed (and not in a good way) at the technique in the lyttle fight and the villasenor/cyborg fight. dudes just winging haymakers and missing by two feet.