Anyone else metal detect?

I metal detect for civil war relics in Tennessee, I find bullets, buttons, belt plates, coins and lots of other civil war items. I have a love of history and enjoy the hobby of metal detecting. I currently hunt with a Teknetics T2 detector.

So does anyone else enjoy metal detecting?

I did briefly a few times. Would like to do more.

I did a few times as a kid. No great finds, but it was fun.

I got an old el cheapo detector as a gag gift.

How do I go about using it effectively?

Dougie -

Dougie,

The easiest way to learn is to watch a few youtube videos on that particular machine. But I can tell you right off the bat, don't expect very much out of it, It is a very basic detector and likely won't pick up anything more than a few inches deep.

Watch a few videos of how it works, take it in your backyard and give it a go. You can buy a decent beginner machine for a few hundred bucks.

There are also many facebook groups dedicated to metal detecting. Let me know if you need anything else.

so you're one of those fucks that digs up public parks with a shovel, huh?

BEEP

EFM -

No, I don't hunt public parks, only private property with permission. You can't tell I even dug a hole most of the time.

Leaving holes, or being sloppy does not set well with landowners, I try to treat it like it was my own property.

Dingo ate my baby -
EFM -

No, I don't hunt public parks, only private property with permission. You can't tell I even dug a hole most of the time.

Leaving holes, or being sloppy does not set well with landowners, I try to treat it like it was my own property.

then we got no problems.  it's illegal here in denver, but i still see assholes digging up grass in public parks. 

Dingo ate my baby - 

I metal detect for civil war relics in Tennessee, I find bullets, buttons, belt plates, coins and lots of other civil war items. I have a love of history and enjoy the hobby of metal detecting. I currently hunt with a Teknetics T2 detector.

As soon as I got to the word "buttons" my brain translated the entire OP with an accent. I have got to stop watching that Oak Island shit show.

This thread smells of old spice and talcum powder

I have a squirrel problem at my house but I live in the city limits so I can’t whack them with a gun now that I have neighbors.  So being the superb hunter that I am I shoot them with a blowgun.  It’s nasty, broad heads etc.  Well, those little fuckers are hard to hit and the dart buries deep into the grass when I miss.  I don’t need to find them with my mower or bare feet so metal detector it is.  There is no telling what my neighbors think of me wandering around my yard searching for treasure.

the_shrike -

This thread smells of old spice and talcum powder

I'm in my late 40's, Talcolm powder? sometimes...... Old Spice, most definitely.

Lurker99 -
Dingo ate my baby - 

As soon as I got to the word "buttons" my brain translated the entire OP with an accent. I have got to stop watching that Oak Island shit show.

Lol, I have a slight southern accent.

I'm getting old enough that I should probably consider it.

Dingo ate my baby - 
Dougie -

Dougie,

The easiest way to learn is to watch a few youtube videos on that particular machine. But I can tell you right off the bat, don't expect very much out of it, It is a very basic detector and likely won't pick up anything more than a few inches deep.

Watch a few videos of how it works, take it in your backyard and give it a go. You can buy a decent beginner machine for a few hundred bucks.

There are also many facebook groups dedicated to metal detecting. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

I have a crappy 80 dollar model.

I'll start by walking the beach by my house after watching some YouTube.

I was just hoping there was some tricks to it.

I've been thinking about getting in to it. There's a guy selling a Garrett AT Pro on a local Facebook group fairly cheap, & I'd  like to do some water detecting so I'm considering it. Just don't know if I  really have time or not. I do like watching a few metal detecting YouTube channels. 

I've never done it, but could see how it would be fun.

But how do you have any idea where to go looking for stuff?

Don't see myself going out in my backyard or the wood between developments in the rural area I'm in just to see if there's something randomly out there. Think I'd wanna at least have an idea there was a chance that there was something there.

Kinda like going fishing someplace there at least supposed to be fish, even if you don't know if you'll catch any yourself. If that makes sense.

That's my plan for my retirement hobby