Anyone else tired of crying over grappling in MMA?

CLINTK9 - 
Wasa-B - 
CLINTK9 - 
Wasa-B - ""MMA fans love grappling, they don't like stalling..."

- To add, I would say, in general, the general MMA fan does not like grappling because they think if a dude aint in mount and flying for an armlock within 60 seconds of hitting the mat is stalling.

Strikers get cut the slack for stalking their opponents, finding their range, slowly imposing their will on their opponent in the standup, but grappling is treated with way more impatience in the eyes of the general fan.

I totally am with the OP. Sick of this ADD shit.

sorry guy, I was watching since day one. enjoyed those hour long grapling fests with Renzo/Royler in early pride. or the Royce/Saku technical battle. but Today there is soo much stalling and point fighting and fighting for a decision its almost unbearable. cards with 12 fights are consitantly getting at least 8-9 decisions per card. and watching alot of those fights put you to sleep. and make you not even want to watch fighting anymore. I agree there is a bit too much bitching about it, but thats because there are too many fighters and fights happening like that. regardless of the reason, that kind of fighting is not fun to watch and doesnt make fans want to pay money to watch it. I know perfectly well the difference between guys working on positons/subs, having time to cook the opponent and all that, and I know Stalling in a fight or fighting JUST for the decision or playing it safe because your "up on the cards" BS!

For sure its a different era now but 8-9 decisions out of 12 is simply a reality as is playing it safe cuz you're up on the cards. Its done with boxing, its done with kickboxing, its done in judo, its done in wreslting. Its stupid to put yourself at risk if you have a clear lead in the last round of a fight. That doesnt mean you still cant go for the finish or just stall it out but to really think any athlete or team will not play it more conservative when they have a clear lead at the end of the contest is a bit naive imo.

I think the state of the game is just fine. Sure more finishes would be great but i can just watch each of these cards just fine. Im more into the matchups between the top guys.

Yea, I'm not sooo big on the finish as guys actually trying for it. that makes a great fight for me. But I also like technical style battles as well. Maia/Fitch was fun for me in that way. Cant stand the point fighting or stalling though. or 15 minutes of: fighter A throws, fighter B moves back, fighter B throws, fighter A moves back. end of the fight, not a mark on either's face. THAT is BS fighting! or what Schaub did to Lavar. Did you honestly enjoy that? I know I didnt.

Yeah, we all like to see guys brining it for sure, finish or not. Didnt see Schaub/Lavar, I believe Schaub was the guy who said he played it safe for a dec since he thought he was gonna get cut if he lost. The entire concept of playing for the win though is simply a universal notion in a sport though. Not saying i woulda enjoyed the fight or anything but I can accept it.

Maia/Fitch not only turned out very interesting but was an interesting and top matchup as well. I think it pushed Maia into the single most dominant subgrappler in the game because neither a guy like Werdum or Aoki has ever dominated a wrestler like that from td to dominant position/control in each round.

What did you think of Machida/Hendo?

Huey Freeman - 
Wasa-B -
Huey Freeman - 
Wasa-B -
ChaosOverkill - 

Herb Dean warned a fighter IN MOUNT to work or get stood up. This is Herb Dean a veteran of over a 100 UFC's!

It can only be someone's marching orders making him change.

People just expect that once you get mount, you should be reigning down like a retard and going Ronda right away. It doesnt happen like that, you can get bucked off and lose that position that you've worked so hard to get within a 5 min round that has standups.

SUBS NEED TO BE COOKED.

Sounds "elitist" maybe but people that know grappling know this. To take an example, Okami is good at getting mount, i would like to see him GNP more and harder and work more proactively for subs but he's simply not a power GNPer and not a dynamic sub guy, he takes time to set them up. He tried for a side choke iirc against Lombard, didnt get too far but he tried, most probably missed it whch is why its hard to talk about wanting to see guys with the intent to finish when its normally not recognized even when it is visibly attempted.

How does someone like joe lauzon manage to remain exciting while going for subs?

I think you are underestimating the knowledge of a lot of fans, sure there are some who just want to see brawls but most can tell the difference.

Maia vs Fitch for instance, Maia constantly going for a sub but fitch's defence too good, that is to me a good competitive fight, then you see guida or schaub( who has admitted stalling to get a win).

Can you see the difference, not trying to be a dick but its obvious to me.

Maybe a lot of fans are so used to the stallers that they assume others are all doing the same but most educated fans can tell the difference. Phone Post

J-Lau is awesome but again, like a Diego/Diaz fight, is the exception, not the norm. Every grappler cannot be like him, that is why he is known as one of the most exciting grapplers in the UFC.

I would say most cannot tell the difference, you can, that's great but dont think you're the majority unfortunately. Im sure a lot of people found Maia/Fitch boring or that Maia wasnt going for anything.

I hear you mate but look at what's happened to boxings popularity and the watered down version of judo we have in the Olympics, same with taekwondo, where instead of being a martial art became some type of competition tip tap point scoring thing, and the governing bodies only cared whether there country won.

I'm just worried mma will head the same way and become a laughing stock, i was recently watching a UFC with my friend and his girl and she was laughing saying the guy holding the other must be scared as he daren't move from on top of him.

Our sport was built on the backs of great martial artists and sometimes I feel like its being ruined. Phone Post

Well, I think boxing's popularity waned because of corruption (lack of big fights happening), loss of the superstars (esp at HW, esp from the US) and then the rise of MMA as well.

With Judo though, its more complex esp in comparison to MMA. With judo, they keep changing the rules to make it more spectator friendly by limiting certain things you can do and also to make it more high tempo in offense and then also to distinguish itself from wrestling to stay in the Olympics (ie. getting rid of leg attacks) not to favour Japan if that's what you meant).

So, in judo, even after the Olympics they just implemented even more changes: no touching the legs at all i think, you almost need to attack or have "positive gripping" within such a short span of time there are just too many stalling penalties going on now. This is not like MMA at all as it is now. However, the key thing is spectator friendliness "waters" the "purity" of the martial art down....though more nuance again: Kano devised judo to become a sport orientated system from jujitsu.

However, the amount of newaza that is allowed now in judo is a joke. So you get shit time for newaza and you cant even do katagurumas (fireman's carries). That is totally a watered down form of judo compared to even a few decades ago.

In MMA, its still relatively a "free martial art/combat sport" competition to allow all to mesh but 5 min rounds and standups favour strikers over grapplers too. Even the gloves give the grapplers a disadvantage though they are necessary. Grease is also necessary but also hurts grapplers.

So if we're talking "pure vale tudo" or a pure martial art contest, it would be something like 30 min, no rounds, no standups, no interventions, no judges as 1 example. This is completely unplausible for a PPV, mainstream sport though.

So i think you got some points but not sure what direction you're going: seems like you want purity but also more action. And honestly, who gives a fck what someone's GF thinks, that is what is ruining the sport as much as anything imo, joe schmos that simply do not understand what they are watching and make comments like that. I dont know which fight that was but top guy coulda also been setting up 3 potential subs.........