anyone ever own or know a bmw's upkeep co$t$?

have my eye on a 2000 z3. cost 8 grand

65000 miles in pimo condition.

whats the cost of owning a beemer?

is it true only beemer mechanics can work on them?

I read it as " bmx " never mind me. Phone Post 3.0

a lot is all I can say. If you take it to a "certified" repair shop oil changes were over $115 and that was 12 years ago when I had mine.

After a year a friend recommended a guy to me who was very good and reasonable, but way out of my way.

cruedi - a lot is all I can say. If you take it to a "certified" repair shop oil changes were over $115 and that was 12 years ago when I had mine.

After a year a friend recommended a guy to me who was very good and reasonable, but way out of my way.

It needed "special" BMW oil, huh?

Mark

I had a 2000 540i it cost me 250 to get the oil change at the dealership five years ago. Phone Post 3.0

When you go to get it repaired it's still a bmw. I owned a 528i and a Benz e500. It was a grand anytime I took the bmw in. Brakes a grand. Suspension work a grand. Benz was worse. Front struts 1800. On my truck it would have been 300 and I could do it myself. Unless you have mechanical abilities get ready to shell out repair money. The bmw however was a very good car. Bmw's have the Worst audio systems on earth. I would look at an s2000 honda or an mx5 if your in the convertible roadster market. Phone Post 3.0

I have a 95' rover made by bmw.

Maint is super high and mechanics know what the dealer charges and charge close to that.

My first brake job was gonna be 900, I laughed, he said go get a 1800 quote from the dealer, you'll be back.

I do all my own maintain and repairs now. Phone Post 3.0

Ttt for Serge Phone Post 3.0

I'm on my 5th one now and I've made the decision now to always have a warranty. No exceptions. Took my first one in for an oil leak and they wanted 8k to fix Phone Post 3.0

My friend has a 3 series I think. $0 in upkeep. He thinks the oil and all the other fluids get changed automatically when you put gas in it.

BMWs are great cars. However, the older it is (more mechanical and less electronic) the less finicky it is. For example, I have an E36 1995 318i with 268k miles. It was serviced at the dealer for a good portion of it's life, then neglected for a few years and I brought it back to life and now drive it everyday. With a 2000 z3 I think it might be "old" enough to where it should be easy for you or any mechanic to work on without special BMW diagnostic tools.

Tip: Go for a test drive, make sure it drives fine and bring a cardboard box with you to slide under the motor. Look for leaks. 1 thing I hated about BMWs was that they are prone to leaking. (not just my model but even personal friends of mine who own BMWs)

Nice cars but my friends' vehicles were always in the shop and they were constantly bitching about the repair costs. Even my buddy who's a mechanic said to expect it, and that he wouldn't have bought one if he couldn't do the work himself. Phone Post 3.0

Well my ignition coil went out on me on my 2005 325i...they charged me 958 dollars for labor...thank god o had a warranty.... 3 weeks later the same ignition coil goes out again and luckily its on them...but the part was 13 bucks and the labor made all the difference. Phone Post 3.0

thebehemoth73 - Well my ignition coil went out on me on my 2005 325i...they charged me 958 dollars for labor...thank god o had a warranty.... 3 weeks later the same ignition coil goes out again and luckily its on them...but the part was 13 bucks and the labor made all the difference. Phone Post 3.0
Wow 900 for labor its 2 nuts and a harness clip. Thats robbery. Phone Post 3.0

shootfightermike -

have my eye on a 2000 z3. cost 8 grand

65000 miles in pimo condition.

whats the cost of owning a beemer?

is it true only beemer mechanics can work on them?

The things that cost alot on bmws are mostly electronics. If you do your own work like brakes shocks oil changes ect.... most parts are in line with other makes. And there very easy to work on. Phone Post 3.0

I didn't read the thread but the consensus is probably that it cost a lot. I own an e46 328I with 263000 kms on it. I do my own oil changes when Castrol syntec goes on sale for about $30/5Ltrs. Cost me about $50 each oil change with the filter because I have to buy 2 bottles every second time. I replaced my front brake pads for like $80. These are Canadian prices. Premium brakes at Napa in U.S. Are only $60. The car is very easy to work on. It's way easier than a civic. I've also changed the ac belt and tensioner pully. Overall, the maintenance is easy with the help of YouTube and bmw forums. My biggest expense is gas. Canadian prices. Phone Post 3.0

I forgot to add that the hardest part I had to change was the ac resistor. That was a pain to get to. But it could be because I'm not mechanically inclined. Phone Post 3.0

My wife bought a 08 330i used low miles, I've had to take it to the shop a ton. I don't understand how a vehicle that costs so much fucks up so often, and everyone is cool with it?! Phone Post 3.0

Who the fuck pays $100+ for an oil change?

Not worth it Phone Post 3.0