Anyone ever resurface countertop with epoxy

I've seen the videos of people resurfacing countertops with epoxy and pigments.  You can make it look like marble or a swirling nebula with shiny stars!

There is a bar here that did this and it looks bad ass.  It is just one smooth long counter with a flowing back splash and bullnose edge.

In

Ya have used the product quite a bit. What would you like to know?

https://youtu.be/jPRf1IijdMI

Check out this guys channel

DYS -

Is it easy to work with like the video of did you practice a lot.  Is the surface fairly durable and long lasting?  Will it delaminate?

Tim Duncan -
DYS -

Is it easy to work with like the video of did you practice a lot.  Is the surface fairly durable and long lasting?  Will it delaminate?

It's not easy to work with but it's not overly hard. Hardest part is the environment. Need a temperature controlled clean place to do it. It is fairly long lasting as long as you don't do anything like hitting it with a hammer or potting a very hot pot on it.  Don't put it in direct sun because it will change colors. 

Inski

what kind of countertop are you trying to resurface? I think that makes a huge difference.

Could you put this on sanded plyboard?

My buddy did for his small barn wood bar top.  Looks good and was pretty easy. 

Tim Duncan - 

I didn’t look at that video someone posted but I’ve done plenty of epoxy floors on some of my projects over the years.

you don’t want the subsurface to move or the epoxy coating will crack. epoxy isn’t very flexible so you’d need a very stable base for it. Plywood doesn’t see very stable to me. Wood expands and contracts at a much different rate than epoxy and it flexes.

they have all types of epoxy coatings and if there is one specifically for countertops then I’m guessing that they have one that has some kind of increased flexibility.

A main reason why epoxy floors fail is due to moisture/humidity in the concrete. You wouldn’t have this issue w/your top but you have to make sure that there is no way for the plywood or other surface to ever get wet. Like at the backsplash or at the front edge, depending on what you do for a edge profile.

jake11 -
Tim Duncan - 

I didn’t look at that video someone posted but I’ve done plenty of epoxy floors on some of my projects over the years.

you don’t want the subsurface to move or the epoxy coating will crack. epoxy isn’t very flexible so you’d need a very stable base for it. Plywood doesn’t see very stable to me. Wood expands and contracts at a much different rate than epoxy and it flexes.

they have all types of epoxy coatings and if there is one specifically for countertops then I’m guessing that they have one that has some kind of increased flexibility.

A main reason why epoxy floors fail is due to moisture/humidity in the concrete. You wouldn’t have this issue w/your top but you have to make sure that there is no way for the plywood or other surface to ever get wet. Like at the backsplash or at the front edge, depending on what you do for a edge profile.

I put epoxy on a concrete floor and it’s still good 20 years later

Oh yeah, all up in this motherfucker for some knowledge. 

watching vid, process looks simple enough, but if you want a marble like design, you probably have to have some artistic talent to get the colors to flow like that. 

I made that table and used epoxy to seal the top 

Maybe it's just me, but I tried it on a countertop and it looked like trash. Ended up tearing it out and havibg granite installed. 

So you put that on laminate counter top? What about tile floors?

I poured concrete counters and metallic epoxied them.

Looks great no problems in 5 years and I saved about 12k for three days work. Only thing is you can't cut on it or place hot pots.

I just did an entry way floor because it looks as good as marble and takes less time. It's very hardy material and does have stretch. I used a quick set to level and did it over existing tile. Took me a day and a half (mostly waiting for drying). Tearing up the tile and replacing it would have taken me a week and cost a lot more.