Anyone ever sold a car to carmax?

Bout to take a truck in. What should I know? What will help me get the best offer? 

Know your Kelley Blue Book value as a starting point.

Will they try to match the blue book? Or will they make an offer short of it? I'm told they will not haggle? 

Sell to an individual.

Sold my wife's Mercedes to them when it became a basket case. They offered a fair amount because I wanted it out of my hair.

I would go get an offer and see if you think you can do better private party. Sometimes the difference of dealing with selling isn't worth the time. At least not for me.

I agree. I don't want to deal w dudes saying they want it and then backing out or low balling the cost later. Or bugging me about something they want to have fixed after buying it. 

Offer will be good for 7 days. You bring it in and they look at it. They make an offer. There is no back n forth

If it's an older model they will low ball you. They want stock (no customizations) newer vehicles.

they low balled me on my Tahoe and I decided to use them to determine the type of car I wanted, then I bought it from a dealership.

Also be sure to check for weather damage if you buy a car from them, they get a huge stock of vehicles from Michigan.

I have read they are pretty good but I just can't imagine being able to get more from carmax or any type of dealer than you can get selling private party.

I used to work with this girl that her husband had bought like a $40,000 truck and when it was two years old wanted a new truck and she was telling me how they were going to trade in their truck and it was worth like $27,000 or something.  I told her the dealer would offer her nowhere near what the truck was worth private party and she argued with me that they would and I didn't know what I was talking about.  Of course a few days later she was bitching and moaning about this crazy lowball offer they gave her.  Shit I have told people I knew who said they were going to trade in their vehicle that I would give them whatever the dealer offered them plus $100.  I am also in Alaska though, dealers up here try and rape people pretty bad.  I researched what kind of deal I should be able to get on a new car and went to the dealer with an offer and they just laughed at me and said yeah well you can get that kind of deal in the lower 48 but not here.  I will never buy a new car here again, I will fly down, save thousands and thousands of dollars and make it a nice driving trip back.

The ONLY person I've known to come out better with selling to CarMax, is my step-son.

He had a piece of shit, bottom-of-the-line worn out Infiniti. Seats were bad, A/C was broken, tires were bad,... all sorts of problems. $1,500 car. For reason's I'll never understand, CarMax offered him $3,600 for it. He called me to tell me their offer, I told him to not leave their lot until they gave him the check!

For better cars in good shape, I have gotten $2,000 to $4,000 more by selling them myself on Craigslist.

Sage advice here fellas, thanks. 

I have an appointment for today...so we shall see. 

EnderinAK -

I have read they are pretty good but I just can't imagine being able to get more from carmax or any type of dealer than you can get selling private party.

I used to work with this girl that her husband had bought like a $40,000 truck and when it was two years old wanted a new truck and she was telling me how they were going to trade in their truck and it was worth like $27,000 or something.  I told her the dealer would offer her nowhere near what the truck was worth private party and she argued with me that they would and I didn't know what I was talking about.  Of course a few days later she was bitching and moaning about this crazy lowball offer they gave her.  Shit I have told people I knew who said they were going to trade in their vehicle that I would give them whatever the dealer offered them plus $100.  I am also in Alaska though, dealers up here try and rape people pretty bad.  I researched what kind of deal I should be able to get on a new car and went to the dealer with an offer and they just laughed at me and said yeah well you can get that kind of deal in the lower 48 but not here.  I will never buy a new car here again, I will fly down, save thousands and thousands of dollars and make it a nice driving trip back.

You hit it spot on.

They will lowball the shit out of you.

Unless you're in dire straits and need the cash today then don't do it.

It's pretty painless. You may get more selling it to a person but you don't have to deal with all the cheap haglers.

I sold my 2001 Toyota Solara with 212k miles on it to them in 2012 when we bought my wife's Accord coupe. They gave me $2k for it. The Honda dealer offered $500 on trade in.

warfrog -

Will they try to match the blue book? Or will they make an offer short of it? I'm told they will not haggle? 

I've only gone to them one time, and they low-balled the shit out of me.   They offered me little to nothing for a Ford Expedition (about 4K) under the blue book.   They had the same year/model with higher miles on their lot listed at over 7K the blue book.

I rejected the offer and sold it myself on Craig's List.   I did the correspondance via e-mail, and met at a pre-determined spot to show it and eventually sell.   This aviods the buyer having your phone or address.  I got my asking price and was happy with the way things turned out for me.

Good Luck OP !

They'll give you a decent offer. I've sold them several cars because I just can't stand the hassle of dealing with private party sales.

I wanted to trade a mercury milan in on a kia optima. The Kia dealer offered me like $2500 for my milan. CarMax less than a mile away offered $4300. I walked the mile with the extra $1800.

heard good things from friends that have turned in junk cars. most of them got close to what they were asking online without the hassle of craigslist idiots.

Very quick and easy process. Obviously you'll make more selling it yourself, but it's very convenient selling it to carmax

Used to be a buyer for CarMax. They could care less about bluebook. We only showed it when we beat it. They go off blackbook and what that car can fetch in the market they are in. They also do not care about if the car can be sold on the front lot. Nobody knows this but they are the #2, auto auction in the US. Hell they could be #1 now. Every Monday they hold auctions on the cars that do not meet their 120 point inspection in the back of the lot to wholesale and the mom and pop car dealers. Also, depending on the $ value the appraise the car for, they instantly take $500-1000 off the price for admin fees. 

KeezyDoesIt - Offer will be good for 7 days. You bring it in and they look at it. They make an offer. There is no back n forth

Correct.

The nice thing is you know their check will not bounce.

I got a quote from Carmax a few years ago.  I then took my car to an independent used car dealer.  Both offered me the same amount down to the penny.  I hagggled with the independent dealer for $350 more.