Anyone experience weight GAIN from bjj?

i'm into month 4 of bjj. i've noticed that most of the higher belts have a pretty slim build. only the ultra heavies have meat on them, but i mean i'm talking 240-325+. most have even told me that i will shred a lot of body fat within 6 months.

i'm 5'9 and started at 164 and i jumped on the scale today and it said 170. i've gained 6 lbs in 4 months. however, most people said i've been looking thinner. my clothes are fitting me fine so i'm hoping it's not fat i've gained, but you can never be too sure since it's hard to judge yourself.

what is going on? i do absolutely no exercise other than bjj 4-5 times a week. i roll for 30-60 minutes after class for open mat. my diet has not changed either. i was hoping to get down to my college weight of 155 in 8-10 months but the #'s are going in the other direction!

Lose fat. Gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I found I lose weight when I stop training for awhile. Training causes me to have a bigger appetite.

You might consider a scale with a resistance-based body composition function. The numbers are generally pretty wrong in absolute terms, but if you do it at the same time/in the same condition every day (e.g. first thing in the morning pre eating/drinking) then they're likely to be informative relative to each other (i.e. they'll tell you whether your body fat % is going up or down).

When I first started bjj I dropped 15 pounds in the first two months and I was lean to begin with. If you haven't been active or worked out maybe you are gaining muscle ? Phone Post

Setree - Lose fat. Gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

So, 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat.

lol=/

Muffinho - 
Setree - Lose fat. Gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

So, 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat.

lol=/

1 ml of muscle = 1.06 g
1 ml of fat = 0.9 g

And yes, I went from light feather to leve since I started training. This was mainly due to weight training and improved diet though.