Anyone fish w/ an inflatable pontoon boat?

I know they are used more with fly fishing than regular fishing, but I've been thinking about getting a kayak and a place by me has an inflatable that has some features for fishing that I like much better than a comparably priced kayak.

One thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is that I think it I want to just go out and paddle around, a kayak is going to be better.

Not sure which way to go.

Anyone use one? Or should I stick with my kayak plan?

sharp hooks, filet knives, and an inflatable boat what could go wrong?

i have not. my cousin just got one, he hasn't used it yet.

i use a bass raider 10 foot plastic pontoon boat.

it's awesome for fishing smaller ponds, lakes, creeks etc

most of the lakes near where i live are smaller than 100 acres. and it's perfect for them.

it weighs 150 lbs and is easily moved by me from my pickup to the launch you'd have to use a trolling motor though no paddling it

Some of the guys I fish with use them. None of them paddle though, they all have trolling motors attached. It just doesn't look like a comfortable way to fish, I would much rather be on my kayak.

icedog11 - 

sharp hooks, filet knives, and an inflatable boat what could go wrong?

Yes, because if there's one thing you do when you fish, it's filet the fish right there in the boat when you catch them.

People have been using belly boats and inflatables for years.

But you must know something those people don't?

I want to get one of those inner tube/waders thingy for fishing. looks like a blast with the fish pulling you around a lake.

Something like this Pat?

I used to trout fish with these two inflatables and never had a problem. At the time I bought them, they were rated as being the best hook resistant inflatables.

The innova is an all around kayak (lake, whitewater, ocean); it's light and you can hall it around a backpack.

http://www.innovakayak.com/

The SOAR inflatable canoe is built for whitewater rafting.

http://soar1.com/

cbia - 

Something like this Pat?

Yes. Actually, that's one of the ones I'm looking at.

One reason I'm thinking of that over a kayak is portability. There's a couple of lakes I could fish on but getting a kayak there would be a bitch by myself.

HG, belly boat fishing is a blast. I went sturgeon fishing using a belly boat before. One nearly pulled me into an oncoming boat.

I've tried them a few different times. To me, they really shine on ponds, small lakes, and rivers. It sucks when the wind is strong though, and don't expect to cover a lot of water very fast.

Might have to stick with my kayak plan if that's the case. On one lake in particular, it gets windy and I can have a long way to travel.

One thing I liked about the inflateable pontoon is lots of pockets and shit to hold gear.

And it's easier to store and move around

PatK -
cbia - 

Something like this Pat?

One reason I'm thinking of that over a kayak is portability. There's a couple of lakes I could fish on but getting a kayak there would be a bitch by myself.

HG, belly boat fishing is a blast. I went sturgeon fishing using a belly boat before. One nearly pulled me into an oncoming boat.

Unless you're dragging the kayak through mud it isn't too bad, you just need wheels to put under it. One of the spots I fish is about a half-mile walk. If it wasn't for wheels there is no way I would drag it that far. Phone Post 3.0

braidedgooch - 
PatK -
cbia - 

Something like this Pat?

Unless you're dragging the kayak through mud it isn't too bad, you just need wheels to put under it. One of the spots I fish is about a half-mile walk. If it wasn't for wheels there is no way I would drag it that far. Phone Post 3.0

But what do I do with the wheels when I'm in the water?

http://i.imgur.com/FgkVicC.jpg

This is my setup. The wheels strap in behind the box behind my seat. These are the wheels I have.

http://m.rakuten.com/product/231975623?listingid=220615289 Phone Post 3.0

B17 - I'd go kayak bro. Mine is 10' and is about 40lbs. I pack a small 5 tray tackle box and my rods. I can drag and carry that fucker anywhere and for long distances. I would think that tube would be a real nuisance. Phone Post 3.0

I'm looking at a 10 footer and the ones are all around 40-45 lbs.

I'm leaning towards a kayak due to more versatility.

But like I've said, the inflatable kills it in the portability and storage categories.

Now it's do I go with a sit on or sit in.

I like sit ons except for the fact I'm going to be in waters that are often cold and sometimes windy, which means I'm getting wet.

For braidedgooch. Nice setup, but definately outside my price range

There were 10' kayaks at Menards a few weeks ago on sale for $169. Dunhams had one last week for $179.

I would go for a sit in because of where you live.

The ones at Menard's were $250 when i was there yesterday.

I figure I'll get something before Memorial Day weekend. I have a four day weekend and want to go out at least once.

You probably already know, but just in case.

I'm pretty sure IN has decal and registration requirements/fees. You might want to look into that before going out.

In IA, anything under 13' doesn't need them. It's only like $15 for 3 years. I still register them anyway. Every boat has a HIN # - much like a VIN. So if it ever gets stolen, at least there is some type of owernship proof besides a receipt.