anyone followed the Strong 5x5 ?

I just discovered a site called StrongLifts.com. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has tried their routines on there?

5x5, if i'm not mistakin, is a size/strength program designed by legendery strength coach John Smith (it's been awhile, so i believe that's his name) and is EXCELLENT. I've gotten my biggest and strongest ever when i was following that routine. I put my brother on it (as well as certain clients with those goals) and watched him become all-state in football before being a current ncaa starting lineman...mowing fuckers over. After 8 weeks, i believe you'll switch it up to 3x3 for a month or two. Read up on it, or i'll try to dig up some of my old links.

5x5 is a classic. I love starting out clients on this program, and from there it's all about where they want to go (increasing singles, I put them on 54321; increasing hypertrophy, the Bear).

Right now, I'm finishing a 10 week pendulum cycle that includes 5x5 for floor press and deads. I switch between 5x5 and 5x1 (adding weight each week) every week, and my lifts just keep going up and up and up.

5x5 is great.

I use 5x5 as a baseline for lifts, once I could do 5x5 dragonflags, muscle-ups and BW C&J I left those lifts there for maintenance. It's a great blend volume and intensity IMO.

Doesn't pavel recommend something similar?

I'm glad to hear it. I just downloaded their free dumbell 5x5 program and started yesterday on it. It has a good mix of compound exercises to it, with squats, deadlifts, snatches, and push presses included.

Would you suggest TAKU or tabata intervals on days in between to work conditioning as well for grappling? Thanks everyone!

can someone give me a run down on what a 5x5 is? The Baracuda won't let me go to their site

You get an e-book if you subscribe to their mailing list.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-dumbbell-5x5-strength-training-using-dumbbells/

A 5x5 routine is great. Only problem is I found it too addictive and pushed it too hard too often and ended up screwing my wrist up. Had to lay off completely for about 2 months but now getting back into training slowly. Just make sure you have easy weeks and complete rest weeks....gives the joints time to catch up and recover.

5x5 is a good absolute strength protocol . . . typical it's 2 warm up sets of
5 followed by 3 work sets of 5.

If you're training anywhere near your 5RM I think 5 work sets is too much
volume. If you're not training near your 5RM, what's the point of 5x5?

Also, if you're strong you're going to need some heavy DBs. If you're not
that strong yet, might be smarter to work on your 8RM before going
down to 5x5.

The guy at stronglifts gets his programs from Bill Starr's books among others. Nothing original, but that isn't the point. It's solid info.

I'm currently using a modified 5x5 powerlifting routine. I always have 3 working sets and increase the weights by 2.5 kg per week. With proper nutrition and rest I'm noticing some great results (strength-wise) and lifting more than I thought I could.

does this apply for any lift or is it specific to like DL's and Squats?

I tried this the other day with my bench/dead split

2 sets 135x5 on bench with 2 sets of 225x5 DL alternating between the two with no rest

went to 3 sets of 185x5 bench and 275x5 DL alternating with no rest

My normal 1RM on bench is about 230 when im feeling good and about 350-370 on the DL, this was a killer workout and then i followed it right up with my treadmill intervals...what a crushing workout and done in less than 20 minutes...a good 5 minutes of that just finding the plates and setting up the bars

cant wait to try this with my CJ/Squat split

5x5 is great if you start with fixed resistance where you can complete all five sets comfortably and build from there. Individuals who start with 5x5 and cannot complete the program the first time out usually burn out fairly quickly. For example, if you have a 300 squat and perform 5X5 with 225 with flawless form and increase the resistance by 5-10 pounds every 3rd or 4th workout you will make continual progress for months. If you start with 250, however, you will barely make the first 5X5 and will have very little room to grow with the program. It is also wise to take 2-3 steps forward and 1 step back so you essentially de-load every 7-10 workouts. It is much easier to make progress this way then barely getting the first set of 5 and then ending up at 2 reps by the 5th set. Recipe for burnout in my humble opinion.

"TAKU or tabata intervals" - Falconer

Depends on your current level of fitness.  TAKU's intervals are a beginners guide to Tabata intervals.  They build up your body to the point where you CAN perform Tabata intervals.  The final phases of TAKU's interval program (where you stay @ once you reach that level), ARE Tabata intervals.  Tabata intervals are defined as a 2:1 work/rest ratio.  20 seconds work for 10 seconds rest, repeated 8+ times.

Cheers.

atecexa--

5x5 is the GOD of the workouts...i basically got into powerlifting back in the mid 90s because of it and blew up (size and strength )....it is the infinite system imo

just as u mentioned it doesnt take much time to complete at all...i have actually done a a work station where i would dl/squat/bench in circuits ..not more than 30 min. --DONE!

sometimes doing 5x5 on one move was stagnate n boring and u left thinking "OH DAMN i still gotta do dl and squats now" LOL!! circuit wise method eliminated that mentality and i would do it like 2 times a week.

ss

Supersaiyin-

Do you you'd do 5x5 for all exercises, but you'd do 1 set of each before starting on the next one?

Did you rest any between sets?