Anyone following ADCC?

lol, biggest lie leg lockers keep telling themselves. The amount of pro competitors that have had knee surgeries in the last few years is crazy.

2 Likes

I’m a “leg locker”. I’ve never hurt anyone, ever.

3 Likes

Same. Only hurt people with wrestling.

3 Likes

I’m considered primarily a leg locker, I’ve hit literally thousands of heel hooks in the gym without incident.

Only times I’ve injured people were in comp

3 Likes

Yes, it’s much nicer to inflict blunt force trauma to the brain they need for decent everyday life and all bodily functions.

I’ve had 3 knee surgeries from knee cutting for years, mostly pre heelhook evolution days. No knee surgeries for me since the explosion of leglocks. My gym trains full submission rules for no gi, and ive done no gi comp with heelhooks allowed. There is certainly no statistical correlation between leglocks and increased rate of knee surgeries that I am aware of. In fact, two of the most significant knee destructions of late was Kendall Reusig falling weirdly and rupturing lcl, acl mcl and tibia fracture, and lcl, acl and mcl from lockdown.

1 Like

I’ve actually torn my meniscus twice from knee cutting.

1 Like

I didn’t say one was nicer, I’m just arguing for an even playing field in combat. You want to try to cripple me I should be able to try to shut your lights out

Bad take. Is an armbar trying to cripple someone? Learn defense to the leg game or cry more. It’s not combat, it’s grappling

3 Likes

there’s a reason why it was banned from the kodokan and shunned from the original bjj matches. pulling guard and spamming leglocks is dishonorable

1 Like

there is only one way to regain your honor if you win by leglock

4 Likes

I don’t knee cut anymore, or very rarely. Too many people get used to sacrificing their knees turning out at crazy angles trying to free their foot.

Wiltse had that unstoppable knee cut and then ran into knee problems and hasn’t been the same since.

Everyone talks about how flexible wrestlers are these days in the NCAA, but Spencer Lee spent like a year with no ACL’s lol. That shit takes it’s toll regardless of how flexible and mobile you may be. You cannot take your joints for granted or put a brunt of the he force on them repeatedly.

2 Likes

It’s taking way longer for Texdeuce to call everyone saying leglocks are viable in mma fucking morons and have no idea what they are talking about then I had anticipated haha

2 Likes

It’s just impossible to say they’re good for mma when mma is such a large sport and leg locks so rarely work. Thousands of matches a year with a very small percentage ending via leg lock. No way to know, but I’d guess guys lose going for leg locks at least as much as they pull them off. Mma is too punishing to use such low percentage submissions.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see more of this current generation of top grapplers and leg lockers transition to MMA and see if they can make the leglocks work. Past generations weren’t as good with them.

I don’t have high hopes. You just can’t sit in front of or under someone with both arms occupied and not expect to get blasted in the face. I’m sure they’d hit one occasionally but more often than not I think it looks like Ryan Hall’s last fight.

1 Like

I think it all depends on who is applying the leg locks and vs who.
Frank Mir vs Ian Freeman- didn’t work out for Mir
Frank Mir vs Brock Lesner - Mir won
Ryan Hall / had wins & losses
Marchin dHeld wins& losses
Phalares wins and losses
Not sure but I think Arlovski beat Big Tim Straight ankle lock for belt??

Just a few examples

I think they are a great tool and work but like any technique it depends on the opponent and situation

1 Like

Fadda the forgotten

As time went on, Fadda became well-known for his use of leg-locks. At the time, leg-locks were very looked down upon in the grappling martial arts, often being referred to ad the “dirty little thief” of submissions. The Gracie schools at the time even referred to them as “suburban” techniques, in order to imply that they were techniques for the poor and lower class individuals.

Eventually, Fadda issued a challenge to Helio Gracie’s school. He famously stated, “We wish to challenge the Gracies. We respect them as the formidable adversaries they are, but we do not fear them. We have 20 pupils ready for the challenege.” It was a bold statement for the time, and [continues to be popularized]. Helio accepted Fadda’s challenge and set up the matches at his own school.

Fadda’s team emerged victorious, winning 19 of the 20 matches. Most were said to be won by the use of leg locks. Witnesses to the events stated that Helio’s students would shout “sapateiro” at Fadda’s students when they would attempt a leg lock. It translates to “cobbler”, which was considered a poor man’s occupation. It is rumored that this is why reaping the knee remains illegal in competitions today; that it is a left-over rule made after the Gracie school’s loss to Fadda.

3 Likes

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of 2 fights ago. He used sweep-first grappling to win a pretty clear decision his last fight

1 Like