Anyone get an alternator replaced?

How much did it cost you after it was all said and done?

Gotta get mine done tomorrow, trying to get a heads up on the damage. It's a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Phone Post 3.0

The part will probably cost at least 200 and probably another 200 for labor.

Changed mine myself. 2000 Ford Explorer. Cost of part.
Id say you are looking at $300+ but that may be on the low side of things.

Probably not that much it would cost more to replace your ignition module you faggot Phone Post

DO IT YOURSELF

Youtube is your instructor bro...

You can virtually rebuild your entire vehicle with tutorial YouTube videos....

At least look to see if its in a easy spot to get to before you pay someone else.

Dr Schopenhauer - such an easy part to swap out. Might as well take the money you are going to pay for labor and get some decent tools to do the job and a repair manual.

This is a 15 minute job if you know what you are doing. It is an hour job for a newbie.

Go learn and see that you have been getting ripped off for years and start saving some money. I will do it if you send me some pics of you peeing and box of chocolates.

This. Most people can change their alternator themselves. It's not a part that's tricky to the point you want to leave it to the professionals.

If you go to some place to get it done, I'm guessing $300+. If you're doing it yourself, $150 or less, plus an hour or two of your time

BillyRayChubbs - 

DO IT YOURSELF

Youtube is your instructor bro...

You can virtually rebuild your entire vehicle with tutorial YouTube videos....

This. Alternator, water pump, thermostat, etc are all very easy things to replace. No tuning or adjusting or anything like that necessary - simply disconnect, unbolt, pull out the old part, and replace, reversing the order of dis-assembly.

If you take it to a repair shop, you're looking at about $250-$300. Most of that is in labor, honestly.

Appreciate all the do it yourself advice. Looked up a video and it does look pretty simple. I've done my own brakes but I didn't think an alternator would be that easy. Phone Post 3.0

I'm an auto electrician, ford's are usually pretty easy just remember to disconnect the battery and you will be fine. Phone Post

Maltese Falcon - I'm an auto electrician, ford's are usually pretty easy just remember to disconnect the battery and you will be fine. Phone Post

Came to post this. Phone Post

Alternators are easy. Typically 2 bolts. Plug and ground. Only time they're a bitch is when they're in a crappy location. Like someone said just disconnect your battery first Phone Post 3.0

I just replaced a Stamford Hc6 alternator off a Cummins qst30 engine that generates approximately 550KW of electricity to a remote indigenous community.

Wait.... That's not what you meant is it? Phone Post

Not too bad $ wise

Wait for tranny probs Phone Post 3.0

Alternators are one of the parts on a vehicle you really need to learn to change yourself. They can be a pain in the ass to get to but it's not a tough job. YouTube that shit! Phone Post 3.0

Buy the parts and a 12 pack, Ill be there asap.

do it your damn self. 

Alternator is the 1 job every man should be able to do himself. Learn & do it yourself this time, then pass the knowledge on the somebody else down the road.

Buncha mechanic badasses in here. I'm impressed.