Anyone going to FloNationals or OTC?

Chip did you guys go up to Kingsport this weekend?

awesomestprime - Chip did you guys go up to Kingsport this weekend?

Yes we did.  My kid was on the Minion Green Team (2nd team).  It was really cool to see Minion Black(1st team) win the tournament. 

Its my understanding that this is the 1st time a team form Georgia has ever won Kingsport.  Possibly the only team from the Southern USA to ever win?  I heard that but im not sure.  Regardless, things are looking up for GA wrestling.   I was told the best GA has ever done was 4th and this year to have the 1st team win and the 2nd team take 6th was pretty huge. 

I got to hang out a bit with a lot of the parents from Compound north.   Frates, Stonecheck,  Desilva, Durracot all had kids on the green team so we mostly sat with them.  Good folks, all.  Hopefully we will all be back next year on Minion Black, alot of those kids will be aging up next year. 

We are also going to get in on some of Durracots van trips to Pennsylvania for tournaments next season.   Its a lot of travel but you can really tell that it helps the kids that do it. 

That's awesome. I was really glad to see the Frates brothers get invited to wrestle with minion finally. They're both studs. All five of those kids are huge influences in my son's development and motivation to get better.

How did yours fair? And how did Jacob and Josh do? If I'm not mistaken this is the first time they've gone to a national event?

That was our first experience at a National dual as well.  The Frate Brothers did great.  Both are extremely tough and good wrestlers.  Im pretty sure Josh went 6- 2, maybe 7 -2.   Jacob suffered a neck injury and had to be taken to the hospital but he was doing real good up until that point but im not sure how many matches he had. 

My kid went 6-3, losing a close one to Iowa black, by 4 points to Illinois, and PA mopped the floor with him.  He beat some kids he probably wasnt supposed to though so it was a good weekend.  Hes only a 4th grader to so he will be able to be back next year too. 

Hell yeah Chip...

I'm sure you had some peacock feathers going on. You should.

Compound Camps are very good. We are going to two this summer.

NCAA92 - Compound Camps are very good. We are going to two this summer.

Which ones you going to? You taking your high school team?

Mine will be at one of the scramble camps, not sure which one yet Phone Post

Yes HS team we are going to the Doug Schwab Intensive Camp and the Handfighting ones. Did the Schwab and Leg/Crab Camp last summer.

ChipW - 

That was our first experience at a National dual as well.  The Frate Brothers did great.  Both are extremely tough and good wrestlers.  Im pretty sure Josh went 6- 2, maybe 7 -2.   Jacob suffered a neck injury and had to be taken to the hospital but he was doing real good up until that point but im not sure how many matches he had. 

My kid went 6-3, losing a close one to Iowa black, by 4 points to Illinois, and PA mopped the floor with him.  He beat some kids he probably wasnt supposed to though so it was a good weekend.  Hes only a 4th grader to so he will be able to be back next year too. 

Chip that is awesome!!! Congrats

Thanks Crusher, it was a good day for sure!

You figured out a date for the Compound camp yet?  We are putting a schedule together for the summer but not sure which camp we are going to yet. 

ChipW - 

Thanks Crusher, it was a good day for sure!

You figured out a date for the Compound camp yet?  We are putting a schedule together for the summer but not sure which camp we are going to yet. 

Not yet, should have schedule this week.... still recovering from one of Mike M's 24hr lockin's in NJ....

BTW you should check out his wrestling life podcast...I know Roper has been a guest, it is hilarious....he does 2hrs a week.

Mine is going to the beach the entire week of the CMP camps in Buford. And CMP south is a little far to drive everyday for 10 days. (about 2 1/2 hours) I think he'll make the Gramby and Handfighting camps, but miss the rest. (the good ones)

I saw Grindhouse has some camps early June and into July. How are those Chip? I've also thought about sending him to the Rookie camp there... I'm gonna call Pitts and ask his (and Bedards) opinion. He doesn't wrestle like a rookie, but he pushed through some of the beginning fundamentals to fast IMO. He's come A LONG WAY in a year, but I think maybe he's come to far to fast? I'd like him to get back to the basics for a little while now that they're not new to him and see if some stuff sinks in a little deeper.

Ask Pitts to be sure but The rookie camp, while being a lot of fun, is probably going to be to easy if hes been making it through the compound practices OK.  It will be good stuff though. 

All the other camps are going to be real good.  Everything is pretty much going to be the basics anyway, just drilled pretty intensely.  Id suggest the take down camp for sure.   Visiting coach, Steve Hamilton was a 3 time all-american at Iowa State and coached Pitts, under Terry Brands, at UTC.  Both of them are real big on finishing a shot quickly and aggressively to prevent the scramble, which we are seeing a lot of now a days.   If I was going to pick just one it would be this one. 

The escape artist camp will be good to.  Mine will be at this one for sure because getting off bottom is his weakness right now.  He nneds to work on it over the summer.   

You cant go wrong with any of them really.  Top camp will be good.  Pitts taught Alex the cross wrist tilt that he hits in almost every match, usually multiple times.    

Just got off the phone with Pitts. Awesome guy. Talked for a long time.

He's gonna do 4 camps. The rookie camp because it's first and will be a good way for him to get to know Pitts and get used to the new room. He also needs to go back to the basics and learning from a new coach will be good for him. Then we'll do the top, escape, and takedown camps.

Mine is 82 pounds right now so don't make fun of him when you're smaller guy is lumping him up!!!

We will make the gramby camp at CMP though.

Thanks for the help

Very cool. We will be at all of them except the rookie camp so will see ya there, or my wife will, she usually takes him Down during the day. Good stuff Phone Post