Anyone have a Traeger Pellet Grill?

Researching pellet grills for my dad and I have no experience with them. Anyone have one and tell me if they are worth it?

Used one numerous times and hated it. Go gas or charcoal man he will like it better

Very very hard to get hot man. Seemed to take forever.

If you are going to use a gas grill you might as well use the microwave

Pellet grills suck imo. I have 8 grills. All of them are charcoal. I'd buy a pellet grill before gas tho.

Gas grills are for lazy fat dudes.

It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you want to smoke meat, which is usually done for long periods of time at very low temps, than they work really well. They are great for keeping low temps evenly for hours without having to constantly check the grill and add more charcoal. 

If you're trying to do steals and shit, which requires higher temps for shorter periods of time, they're not that great. They're great for smoking and not great for general grilling like dogs, burgers, steaks, and shit like that. 

A_Butler - 

It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you want to smoke meat, which is usually done for long periods of time at very low temps, than they work really well. They are great for keeping low temps evenly for hours without having to constantly check the grill and add more charcoal. 

If you're trying to do steals and shit, which requires higher temps for shorter periods of time, they're not that great. They're great for smoking and not great for general grilling like dogs, burgers, steaks, and shit like that. 

From a lot of what I read in research, they can't impart nearly the amount of smoke a charcoal or kamodo grill can.  It's basically an oven with the ability to add a "little" bit of smoke.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the responses would be like this. I think I am going suggest he gets a Big Green Egg or something similar.

Fathead D - Thanks everyone. I was thinking the responses would be like this. I think I am going suggest he gets a Big Green Egg or something similar.

I never owned a pit in my life before buying a Big Green Egg.  I researched it a lot and had reservations about spending so much money on a BBQ pit, especially my very first one.

However, I can say it is one of the best purchases I've ever made.  I'm thinking about getting a second Egg because I'm actually doing a bit of catering now and I've had such great success on the Egg since I bought it 3 years ago.

I know allot of people who swear by them but they are spendy. I'd have one of I could get myself to drop that kind of money.

Fathead D - Thanks everyone. I was thinking the responses would be like this. I think I am going suggest he gets a Big Green Egg or something similar.

Look into the grilla grills kong. Very similar to the bge and a lot cheaper. 

Love my pellet grill but it is only useful for smoking low and slow. Not designed for searing.

Green mountain grill

I've had my BGE for nearly two years... absolutely love it.  

I have had a green mountain grill for 3 yrs now and love it. I cook everything on it. I love it.

I have a Yoder 1500 and I'm very happy with it.  Owned a Klose BYC for years and much prefer this.  I can load it up, go to bed and have brisket for lunch.  I use it for ribs, brisket, butts, chicken, pork loins, tri-tips, and rib roasts.  The capacity is great, it will cook 12-15 butts or a couple dozen tri-tips no problem.  I like ceramic grills but they usually lack the space I want.   The heat management plate releases smoke evenly across the cooking grates rather than the edges like most pellet pits, easy to get as much smoke flavor as you want.  I still use a charcoal grill for thin cuts, and have been enjoying steaks with a sous vide.

If you like the BGE take a look at these, top quality and more grill space.

http://komodokamado.com/

if you're gonna waste over a k get a custom pit made. You wont ever need to replace

Waiting for Judge to come in and tell everyone how great, easy, delicious, better than a Webber and that all the BBQ spots are going to them... lol... THERE SHIT IMO ... Fuck cooking with cat litter pellets and an app on your iPhone. 

Team Weber for life 

I think Some Pro Surfers bought the company cause CJ hobgood been hyping them lately on his insta... I'm a complete hater! Lol