Anyone have a Traeger Pellet Grill?

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

Waiting for Judge to come in and tell everyone how great, easy, delicious, better than a Webber and that all the BBQ spots are going to them... lol... THERE SHIT IMO ... Fuck cooking with cat litter pellets and an app on your iPhone. 

Team Weber for life 

LOL

Why the hate?

samichlaus -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

Waiting for Judge to come in and tell everyone how great, easy, delicious, better than a Webber and that all the BBQ spots are going to them... lol... THERE SHIT IMO ... Fuck cooking with cat litter pellets and an app on your iPhone. 

Team Weber for life 

LOL

Why the hate?

Im just not a fan, I don't like the way the food comes out(my buddy has one), I like high heat smoking personally and the pellets creep me out(what binds them, what's in them really) I'd rather use lump charcoal or real wood. AND I like fucking with Judge about them. He's a good dude, one of my favorite posters but he's my mortal BBQ preference enemy... kinda like me n Phuckles and our Chipotle fued(it's hot steamy garbage). 

If you're gonna get a pellet smoker, don't get a traeger unless it's an old one. New ones are shit. Bought a new one and within a year it had so many flame ups that it started peeling the steel. I switched to a green mountain, haven't had an issue with it in a year and a half.

FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 
samichlaus -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

Team Weber for life 

LOL

Why the hate?

Im just not a fan, I don't like the way the food comes out(my buddy has one), I like high heat smoking personally and the pellets creep me out(what binds them, what's in them really) I'd rather use lump charcoal or real wood. AND I like fucking with Judge about them. He's a good dude, one of my favorite posters but he's my mortal BBQ preference enemy... kinda like me n Phuckles and our Chipotle fued(it's hot steamy garbage). 

LOL

You know it's the cook, not the cooker.

:-)

Never been to Chipotle, I work in Santa Ana, no need to go, lots of great food there.

samichlaus -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 
samichlaus -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

Team Weber for life 

LOL

Why the hate?

LOL

You know it's the cook, not the cooker.

:-)

Never been to Chipotle, I work in Santa Ana, no need to go, lots of great food there.

I live in Santa Barbara we have epic Mexican food, only been a couple times into whole life and it was shit... can't understand the hype. 

Oh i know I could cook up a feast on one of those things, it's just not my thing. I'll use a regular old school offset smoker before a pellet. 

I had a large offset for years. It was great fun but pretty involved.

Never been to Hooter's either.

samichlaus - I had a large offset for years. It was great fun but pretty involved.

Never been to Hooter's either.

I never been to hooters either... I use a Weber kettle for everything! No can defense 

I've been thinking about picking up a 26" Weber.

samichlaus -

If you like the BGE take a look at these, top quality and more grill space.

http://komodokamado.com/

I have the Big Bad from Komodo Kamado, as well as a Primo, great units.

Lost Cause - If you're gonna get a pellet smoker, don't get a traeger unless it's an old one. New ones are shit. Bought a new one and within a year it had so many flame ups that it started peeling the steel. I switched to a green mountain, haven't had an issue with it in a year and a half.
I have Green Mount Smoker. I love it. I live in a house in west Portland so my neighbors house is about 6 feet on the other side of the fence. I think a traditional smoker would get me complaints from the neighbors.

Pit Boss Grills are awesome 

IIGQ4U - 
samichlaus -

If you like the BGE take a look at these, top quality and more grill space.

http://komodokamado.com/

I have the Big Bad from Komodo Kamado, as well as a Primo, great units.

I'm jealous! There's nothing on the market half as nice as those units imo

What do you think of a little table top rig?

I have an Egg I bought in 2006, I might need to replace the cloth gasket next year, lol. I live in Nola, worst climate for grills ever. It lives outside, still killing it. 

Nothing does searing and smoking better. If you're nice on the grill, you can skill a Weber like Pesc, if less-nice, it's easier on the cook to have an Egg. 

After 10yrs on an Egg, it's like why anything else. If anything I'd get an XL Egg to do more brisket, ribs. But I'm not spending any more money until this breaks, so decades. 

Real Takeaway: A Weber or an Egg will teach you how to cook with fire and smoke, invaluable. You can do it on an open fire, life skill shit. 

Pesc/me/real grill owners can cook on whatever now, it's just a skill game. The pellet grills will never teach you that. It's fake cooking. 

I got in trouble for saying they shouldn't be in competition. Most will make better chicken and ribs here in the oven better than me but dont challenge me with a chipper and think you out cooked me. The fire is part of the whole challenge. TBH, even charcoal doesn't compare to a real cookout, not the kind I've tried.

NiteProwleR - I got in trouble for saying they shouldn't be in competition. Most will make better chicken and ribs here in the oven better than me but dont challenge me with a chipper and think you out cooked me. The fire is part of the whole challenge. TBH, even charcoal doesn't compare to a real cookout, not the kind I've tried.

My brother's wife is Russian, not the mail order type, she rich and came here for college. 

When they come over, they grill all their shit on a raised grate over an open fire, ideally in a brick pit with three sides. Weirdly, my bro's house had one of these built into his backyard. 

That's you need. A fire, some heat deflection (not even mandatory), and a way to adjust the grate height. After that -- learn how to build a fucking fire and cook!!

I am not a fan.

Pellet grill is ok. It easy to smoke meats on them. They don't crust the outside like charcoal powered grills do, though. The pellet grills do have a set and forget temperature setting. That's about the only advantage they have over charcoal type smokers.

Joe O'Brien -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero -
samichlaus -
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero - 

Team Weber for life 

LOL

Why the hate?

Pellets are pressed sawdust. No binders.

At the end of the day nobody calls pellet grills what they truly are, complicated electric smokers. Everyone in the know knows getting true barbecue flavor involves a wood fire.

That's what they claim, but I don't buy it, something holds them together n gives that shine to them... plus who wants to cook with fucking Saw Dust. Lol 

team traeger hater for life lol 

MagSlim -
NiteProwleR - I got in trouble for saying they shouldn't be in competition. Most will make better chicken and ribs here in the oven better than me but dont challenge me with a chipper and think you out cooked me. The fire is part of the whole challenge. TBH, even charcoal doesn't compare to a real cookout, not the kind I've tried.

My brother's wife is Russian, not the mail order type, she rich and came here for college. 

When they come over, they grill all their shit on a raised grate over an open fire, ideally in a brick pit with three sides. Weirdly, my bro's house had one of these built into his backyard. 

That's you need. A fire, some heat deflection (not even mandatory), and a way to adjust the grate height. After that -- learn how to build a fucking fire and cook!!

VU to u both 

As others have stated, sharpen your skills on a BGE or even a Weber, then if you want convenience switch to whatever is easiest.