Anyone Have A Troubled Sibling?

I have a brother who is a raging drug addict. He causes such grief to my entire family. Been on a 25+ year  bender and getting worse.  The laws don’t  allow for help and impossible to help someone who doesn’t want it. Just a rant as I am so sick of the 911 calls and visits to deprive him of drugs and the threats I have given drug dealers and loser friends. Anyone got anything similar?  

For your own well-being past a certain point it’s best to treat him as if he’s dead until he proves otherwise. 

Hes essentially terminal at this point and barring a miracle he isnt going to get better. It is what it is and I’m not the sugar-coating type. 

Its part of the human condition in this era of civilization unfortunately. 

2 Likes

I did for a few years but he is luckily snapping out of it. I attribute it to him being 20 years old. Bad anger issues and just bad decisions. He just started his own business and seems to be getting on the straight and narrow. 

Ran away from home, threatened my mother all the time, wanted to fight our step dad all the time, smoking weed 24/7 etc. 

Hes always has a good heart though and that’s a good thing 

You have to focus on you and your family. Shut your brother out of your life physically. Just keep him in prayers and maybe God can change him.

God changed me and my life was lost for many years. With God there is always hope. Learn how to do spiritual warfare for him.

5 Likes
StrikingMMA - You have to focus on you and your family. Shut your brother out of your life physically. Just keep him in prayers and maybe God can change him.

God changed me and my life was lost for many years. With God there is always hope. Learn how to do spiritual warfare for him.

religious people sound like such lunatics i dont know how people like u have any type of perspective beyond your own 

1 Like
showmedaway -
StrikingMMA - You have to focus on you and your family. Shut your brother out of your life physically. Just keep him in prayers and maybe God can change him.

religious people sound like such lunatics i dont know how people like u have any type of perspective beyond your own 

Oh fuck off…his beliefs are his and work for him. Miserable fucks like you are the ones with a fucked up perspective. Always wanting to jump on someone who mentions their religion. Live and let live. And fuck off. This coming from someone who isn’t extremely religious.

10 Likes
showmedaway - 

The bible said that we would be seen as a peculiar people. Sounds like it’s true to you.

I used to feel like you do until I actually met Christ. God’s power is real and being able to fellowship with the creator of the universe is awesome.

Take care my friend.

3 Likes
StrikingMMA -
showmedaway - 

The bible said that we would be seen as a peculiar people. Sounds like it’s true to you.

I used to feel like you do until I actually met Christ. God’s power is real and being able to fellowship with the creator of the universe is awesome.

Take care my friend.

How big was his dick? 

3 Likes
phatcat - 

I have a brother who is a raging drug addict. He causes such grief to my entire family. Been on a 25+ year  bender and getting worse.  The laws don’t  allow for help and impossible to help someone who doesn’t want it. Just a rant as I am so sick of the 911 calls and visits to deprive him of drugs and the threats I have given drug dealers and loser friends. Anyone got anything similar?  

I have a younger brother who is a scumbag addict.  He ruined my parents relationship and helped push my father into the ground too damn soon when it should have been him.

phatcat -

I’m a former addict. Not going to go into too much detail, but I know the hurt and pain I put the people I live through when I was using. That person has to truly want to get better before any real change can take place. If they don’t want to, then it’s like beating a dead horse, unfortunately.

You have to cut them off 100%, bc anything you do for them is enabling them. Even feeding them a meal is enabling them. After that, all they can do is sink or swim, and all you can do is just hope for the best. I know that’s all easier said than done, and it’s painful to watch them destroy themself. 25+ years is a long time, and if they haven’t come to see the light yet, it’s very unlikely they ever will.

I will say that sometimes having to go to jail for something can force them into having to get their shit together, and in some cases can end up saving them from themselves. You just pray that whatever they did to get there didn’t cause any harm to anyone else in the process.

I hate to say this but if he’s actively using and you know where they are while they’re doing it, call the police and report it. They go to jail for a while, but at the same time it forces them to be clean, and it keeps them from hurting themself, you, your family, and anyone else for that matter. 

Although, after 25+ years I’d be willing to bet this may have already happened and didn’t change anything.

Robert Thomas -
showmedaway -

Oh fuck off…his beliefs are his and work for him. Miserable fucks like you are the ones with a fucked up perspective. Always wanting to jump on someone who mentions their religion. Live and let live. And fuck off. This coming from someone who isn’t extremely religious.

Yeah and it’s the other guys right to laugh at his batshit crazy beliefs you pussy 

3 Likes

drug addict and thief, but turned his life around 10 years ago. 

Pain Headquarters - 
phatcat -

I’m a former addict. Not going to go into too much detail, but I know the hurt and pain I put the people I live through when I was using. That person has to truly want to get better before any real change can take place. If they don’t want to, then it’s like beating a dead horse, unfortunately.

You have to cut them off 100%, bc anything you do for them is enabling them. Even feeding them a meal is enabling them. After that, all they can do is sink or swim, and all you can do is just hope for the best. I know that’s all easier said than done, and it’s painful to watch them destroy themself. 25+ years is a long time, and if they haven’t come to see the light yet, it’s very unlikely they ever will.

I will say that sometimes having to go to jail for something can force them into having to get their shit together, and in some cases can end up saving them from themselves. You just pray that whatever they did to get there didn’t cause any harm to anyone else in the process.

I hate to say this but if he’s actively using and you know where they are while they’re doing it, call the police and report it. They go to jail for a while, but at the same time it forces them to be clean, and it keeps them from hurting themself, you, your family, and anyone else for that matter. 

Although, after 25+ years I’d be willing to bet this may have already happened and didn’t change anything.

Solid post.

My brother was a drug addict. Heroin. Had a big fight with him where he ended up going to the hospital, and cutt him off shortly afterward when I had a problem with getting my license renewed.

A year or two before, he got pulled over without his ID (or didn't want to give his real name because he probably had a warrant out)  and gave them my info telling them he was me. So had $400 worth of tickets and fines in my name. I got a court date and got out of it by proving I had insurance at the time (one ticket was for no proof of insurance) and the judge asked for my signature. It was obvious the signatures on the tickets were different from mine and the one on my license. 

I got out of it, but it was a huge pain. When I was having my record expunged, they found out that he had registered his girlfirends car in my name. It was impounded with thousands in tickets and fines. I got out of that as well.

That happened right before Xmas, and when we were out to eat with our dad for Xmas, I casually brought it up and he just sat there and denied everything. I completely cut him off that night.

He came back to me months later crying and said he wanted me back in his life, and he was going to rehab,

He's been clean and sober for 17 years no. When he was making ammends (He's a big AA guy), he finally admitted to giving the cops my name when he got the tickets and registering the car in my name.

Long story with a bad ending here.

My nephew (cousin's son) was the troubled family member for about 14 years. He started by being the little neighborhood skateboarding troublemaker, then he went through his weird "gangster" phase, followed by an opioid addiction. His mom, a stupid cunt born again "Christian" left him behind while she started her new family. Unfortunately for him his dad was also a piece of shit, criminal that abandoned him at the age of 6-7.

My mom took him in for a couple of years and he decided to leave and go into rehab at 19. He was ok for about a year or so. He had a job, had an accident that awarded him 50k. Giving an addict that much money is dangerous... he bought a car, got an apartment, quit his job, and fell back to drugs. 

His immediate family (mom, aunts) pretty much shunned him. My mom once again took him in. He left again on his own and wasn’t heard from for about 3 years. We later find out he met this girl that turned his life around, turned to religion and was just living a better life. 

He got in touch with us and thanked us for always being there, and apologized for being such a pain and whatnot. We had the idea that everything was good and all of a sudden, about a year later my sister sends us a picture of him passed out on the street. He was DIRTY and skinnier than ever. She tried to help him, he refused and said that being homeless was his choice because those other junkies around him have been more family to him than his own (referring to his mom and them).

We all tried reaching out to him, but he had made up his mind. His grandma (my aunt) would take him clothes and money whenever she could. His mom and aunts still didn't give a shit. We get a call in July this year that he was found unresponsive on an empty lot in SGV, CA. He was a heroine addict and overdosed. 

Last month would have been his 30th birthday. His mom and aunts fake speeches at his funeral were disturbing and pathetic. My point here is, I know it’s frustrating, but he is still your brother. Don’t give up and later regret it man. Even if you can just show or let him know that you’re there for him when he’s ready.

phatcat -

yes. 

DOO.  Divorce of Others. google it. best thing I have ever done. 

two loser brothers. One is a fucking thief and stole a bunch of money from my dads estate . 

the other is chronic unemployed and has a shitload of shitty kids who are moochers just like him. 

Both are super religious. God this God that. God gonna get you for not giving me more money. 

Number 2 had a commercial truck license and experience. lol. every trucking company in world is looking for drivers. He would not drive because it was stressful. LOL. and he didnt want to travel because he might miss every other weekend he gets with his son. lol. 

he gave up his CDL the last renewal because it cost an extra 40 bucks. lol. CDL are hell to get now in my state , since the tests are so hard. stupid stupid stupid. 

My sister is liberal as fuck with TDS, that counts right?

3 Likes

Brother was a meth and then opioid addict.  He's good now relatively speaking.  Never gave up on him, it was pretty hard at times but mostly because it hurt to watch him in pain and not caring about himself. 

1 Like

Older brother.  Was always a partier and liked the booger sugar but wasnt a huge ddrinker.  He also left the country right after college to work over seas and never really came back until he was 40.  Then he decided to change careers, went to culinary school and became a chef.  Moved out to portland, started a catering company, became a partner in a bagel shop, a delivery service, was flipping houses and subletting 7 apartments on airbnb.  The dude was really crushing it and making over 200k/year.

Then the partying got out of control, he was doing shit tons of coke, then crack and now heroin.  He lost his girlfriend, all the apartmens, delivery service, and lots of repeat catering clients.  He also burned through all of his money except for a very large and remarkable art collection, 3 cars and  his ownership in his bagel company which is very illiquid.  I think hes selling drugs to get by.

Whats incredible is his life was pretty much a success by all accounts until he turned 50.  Wtf?  Who becomes an addict at 50.  Anyway, ive done the intervention thing and given him all the help i can short of loaning him money (although he has asked....before he was an addict i loaned him $95,000 to buy an investment property and he paid me back so i set a bad precedent there).

Anyway, i dont think hes going to make it to 65.  Sad.

My sister does lol