Anyone have twin babies?

Found out that my wife is pregnant a couple of weeks ago and had our first doctor's appointment today.  When the doctor did the ultrasound, I was a little nervous because she was making strange faces.  But they she zoomed in on one baby and said "Ok, so here's baby number one.... aaaaand here's number two!"  My wife is Brazilian and for the past few weeks I had been joking with her whenever she was having cramps that the twins were practicing jiu-jitsu and it will stop when one of them taps.  But it looks like the joke was at least partially true.  They are fraternal, so they could be two boys, two girls, or one of each.   We're very happy about this, but also a little concerned about how difficult things might be.  

Does anyone have stories or experiences to tell about twin babies?

No twins for me, but congrats fren!

PAGING MICROBIOLOGYNERD!!!!

My sister has twins, boy and girl.  It would be a lot easier on her if her husband wasn't a huge piece of shit and helped her now and then.  She has two other kids that are older than the twins and she literally has to everything for all of them.  Twins are almost 5 so it's getting easier on her but I wouldn't wish her situation on anyone. Best of luck and congrats

My sis had twins, they were premature about 3.5 lbs each. They're 5 yrs old now and doing great!

I have triplets but they are 18 now. Baby time was mind numbing. 24 diapers and 24 bottles......A DAY. 

We Are All One Mean Species -
Samoa - 

I have triplets but they are 18 now. Baby time was mind numbing. 24 diapers and 24 bottles......A DAY. 

Do you have any other kids besides the 3?

1 was hard even with help from grandparents. Cant imagine 3.

No, just the triplets thank god. Diapers and bottles stage was crazy. After that, in some ways, triplets was easier. 

Twins here.  Boy and girl... born in May.  It was looking like there was a chance they could be born on May the 4th.  Mrs. Ticker and I were in a heated debate as to whether their names would be Luke and Leia.    They were 10 days late though.

For tips:  I could get our twins to sleep in about 12 minutes at the same time when they were young.  Swaddle both of them, then one in each arm so their feet are nearly touching and tune out 'She'll be coming round the mountain' while giving them a good bounce.

I used to get some resistance at the start, but a couple of minutes in I couldn't believe how well this worked.  If people were over I'd say 'watch this!' and do it right in front of them.

We were really strict with sleeping times as we have a large family.  It has really paid off as going to bed really isn't that hard and the twins are 3 now.

Keep them sleeping in the same room as well even if you have space for their own rooms.  It is hard at first because they wake each other when they cry, but it is amazing how fast they get used to their screaming sibling.  Once they are used to it, they don't get woken by the crying.

Good luck!  Twins are awesome. 

My boys are 16, now.

Some hard work your first two years. Sleep is going to become an absolute luxury when you do get it.

But then it gets really cool.

One stop shopping is very convenient. Had the kids in the same classes K-5th so helping with homework was convenient. They play the same sports, have the same schedules. So, we are not driving all over the place for school and sporting events. They automatically have sparring partners :).

I don't want to think about samoa and his triplets during the baby stage. Whoa!

I have twin girls, born December 2015. My experience is different than most though as one twin has some pretty substantial heart defects (2 surgeries down, 1 to go). But the main thing I'd suggest is scheduling. Keep them on a schedule that works (feeding, snacking, sleeping, diaper changes). Also, don't try to separate them too early. My twins are also fraternal, but they are very used to being close, especially when they are first born. Have them sleep on the same crib for a while, then slowly start moving one into another crib after they fall asleep. It gets them used to it.

And congrats! Twins are the shit. It may not feel like it right away and don't beat yourself up for feeling angry with them now and again. Give it some time and you'll never understand how people with only one kid at a time find anything entertaining.

Congrats.

no twins but I find out the sex of our first tomorrow 

My sister as well has twin boys. They didn't get much sleep in the beginning. They are 3 now and raising hell. Good luck and congrats OP. 

Hokiebird - 

Found out that my wife is pregnant a couple of weeks ago and had our first doctor's appointment today.  When the doctor did the ultrasound, I was a little nervous because she was making strange faces.  But they she zoomed in on one baby and said "Ok, so here's baby number one.... aaaaand here's number two!"  My wife is Brazilian and for the past few weeks I had been joking with her whenever she was having cramps that the twins were practicing jiu-jitsu and it will stop when one of them taps.  But it looks like the joke was at least partially true.  They are fraternal, so they could be two boys, two girls, or one of each.   We're very happy about this, but also a little concerned about how difficult things might be.  

Does anyone have stories or experiences to tell about twin babies?

Sooo exciting!

You will get zero sleep for a year, and it will hurt, but it will be a beautiful time. Stay up late and sleep in every chance you get between now and when the babies are born.

I have 8 year old twins. It's not so bad in the beginning, you're not really doing double the work because you'd be doing it with one anyways. Bath time was a challenge and I only got tasked to do that by myself maybe a couple of times before they were 3 months old.

I was a twin and my brother is only 14 months older than me and my sister. I used to say I don't know how my mom did it since my dad owned and ran a store and was busy all the time. Then I found out a couple years ago he hired a many to help during the day with feeding and diapers and shit. They used to use the you know how hard it was when you were babies guilt trip all the time. 

Thanks for the nice replies everyone!  I'm definitely the most worried about sleep, so the suggestions about setting up and sticking to a strict schedule are definitely a great idea.  Also, I ordered the Twelve hours by Twelve weeks book today.  

Schedule was everything for us. Also the triplets didn't do ANYTHING in their rooms except sleep. They didn't play, watch TV, eat, get diapers changed etc. in the bedroom. Just sleep. 

Samoa - 

Schedule was everything for us. Also the triplets didn't do ANYTHING in their rooms except sleep. They didn't play, watch TV, eat, get diapers changed etc. in the bedroom. Just sleep. 

With triplets you need a good foreman and a union.

Samoa - 

Samoa, what did you have? Boys, girls, a combination? Were any of them identical?