Anyone heard of him?

Sta94

"there was a Korean player at last year's NY Open, 90kg"

The guys I'm talking about did not compete in the NY Open last year. In addition they are 73, and 81kg.

There is a guy that trains in Virginia that's from Korea (90kg) I think that's who you may be talking about. I met him at Georgetown Univ last year when Koga (Japan) was going to do the seminar. The korean guy was pretty good from what I saw.

Josh

"its a cryin shame that there is a guy like him in our country and he isnt being utilized like he should be. its a cryin shame that a guy like him cant make enough money off of judo alone to really do something with it.

PISSES ME OFF"

I agree with you whole heartedly. To me it seems that the Judo in the US in general has the attitude that I have 1, 2, 3, etc....good players and I'm going to keep them to myself. I have been to clubs where the instructors welcome other opinion's/view, but I've been to more that are closed to someone else's experiences. Regardless of what or how many medals they've won. Gold or otherwise.
Just plain old selfishness.

yea, its Hwang. he is by far a millionaire too. he has done a great jobi n business for himself, i just wish that a guy like him would be able to make those millions doing judo instead. i mean, we are cutting ourselves off at the knees the way we have these cheesy McDojo's all over the palce chargind nothing for judo.

granted, a lot of them have awesome instuction-- like the San Jose Buddhist dojo and any dozen others off the top of my head, but there is still no reason why dues should be so unbeliveably cheap unless its a program targeted at the poor/inner city kids.

We had a session Sunday morning with Mr. Lee and a couple of other bb's. One of them is a student of his, the other was one of the korean bb's that used to come to GSU, and one of the guys that occasionally works out at GSU and with Steven Alphabet (Jhon Rojas).

We plan to continue having these sessions every Sunday morning (8:30 AM). Entrance needs to be arranged because it's an apartment complex with electronic gates. But if anyone is interested in coming by, let me know and I'll arrange it (Ben, Brian?).

For those who know Jhon Rojas, he says he was impressed by the guy and that says plenty.

Can this guy be brought into Jacare's to teach throws a couple of nights a week?

ask him to see his certificates.

Sakalov, he might go for that.

But I would suggest that there are others who could do it. My instructor, Stephen Alphabet may either be able to do it himself or recommend someone.
This might be a better option because of the language thing.
Ask Goldmedal (Ben), I believe he trains at Jacare's and he is also a Judoka.

Sakalov

"Can this guy be brought into Jacare's to teach throws a couple of nights a week? "

Doesn't Jacare teach throws? What I suggest is that you actually join a judo club so that you can become proficient at throwing. You'll be able to do it on a regular basis. A 1 or 2 day seminar won't really do you any good especially if you don't have the basics. Just like in bjj to become proficient you train and train.....same thing applys in judo. Ask goldmedal (Ben), or judok@ (adam), or elijah, or najib.

You have to practice what you learn.....

I wasn't talking about a seminar. I was talking about on a regular basis. Plus, I want one stop shopping. I don't want to have to go to 2 different schools.

(Capoeira brings in a boatload more students than judo did)

So does Belly Dancing... :-(

I had a woman drop out of the Judo club at Tulane U. to start Capoeira. She was a dancer, so I can see why she preferred it. Besides, it was mysterious, exotic, and cool looking, whereas Judo is practical and well known.

Ben R.