Anyone here cook via Sous Vide?

Strongly considering ordering an Anova Culinary Precision Cooker/Immersion Circulator on Amazon.

Been reading a ton of reviews on Serious Eats about it and I think I'm close to pulling the trigger.

Anyone have any experience cooking this way?

Here's the link to the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.ca/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1452957897&sr=1-1

Here's a link to the Serious Eats guide on Sous Vide for anyone interested. Looks pretty bad ass.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

I have a nice vacuum sealer, and have been looking for a deal on one.

I want the WIFI one

The guy who owns Valve, makers of Steam and the Vive, has heavily invested in one of those companies. Phone Post 3.0

reelfoot - 

I want the WIFI one

This is what I'm looking at buying.

I've read that regular ziploc heavy duty bags will work fine... no need to spring for the vacuum sealer too.

Thoughts on that?

Got one for Christmas. Cooked with it twice so far.

First time, cooked some ribeyes and they almost came out too tender.

Second was sirloin, which actually was a little better in my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

I have one, it's pretty cool. It's no replacement for other methods, but has its place.

Like a poster above said, fatty meats can be cooked to textures that aren't attainable through regular methods.

I've heard this is how high end steakhouses are preparing their steaks. Phone Post 3.0

Yup, use it all the time. We have the ANOVA (non WiFi) and it's fantastic. Phone Post 3.0

I don't get it.

Thanks. I'll look for some shorter vids. :)

I understand why it's a good way to get meat technically done "right", but it seems like you'd be missing out on a lot of flavor sources... Like sear/char of the meat, or stuff you put on it. It just seems like stuff would be cooked perfectly, but a little bit lifeless, I guess.

Like Paul mentioned, there another thread where a bunch of us chime in with experiences. You still have to finish your meats afterwards via grill/pan/torch. I have this Anova and I love it. The ziploc/displacement method works extremely well. Phone Post 3.0

It looks like a large anal probe. Phone Post 3.0

fanat - It looks like a large anal probe. Phone Post 3.0
Should be an og fave then Phone Post 3.0

fanat - It looks like a large anal probe. Phone Post 3.0

What's so large about it?

I have one and love it. It's probably not for everyone but as someone who hates ruining a great piece of meat, this is perfect. Every streak I've cooked has turned out awesome. You should have a good cast iron pan as well because you'll need to sear the meat after its sous vide(some do it before). Phone Post 3.0

Paul Hopkins - 
Mullet @ Heart - I don't get it.
The thing heats and circulates water at a precise temperature. The food is submerged in a sealed bag and you can cause changes to flavor and texture that are different from crock pots other methods

There is a video of science teacher at harvard breaking down what happens to various foods at certain temps.

It's fun

One down side is, because the bsg is sealed, you don't get the aromas during the sous vide Phone Post 3.0

I believe you can put some marinade in the bag and/or sear and flavor the meat after it's cooked to the proper internal temp.

Mullet @ Heart - Thanks. I'll look for some shorter vids. :)

I understand why it's a good way to get meat technically done "right", but it seems like you'd be missing out on a lot of flavor sources... Like sear/char of the meat, or stuff you put on it. It just seems like stuff would be cooked perfectly, but a little bit lifeless, I guess.
The proper way from what I've been reading is to get the meat to your desired temp in the sous vide and then sear it on a piping hot cast iron for 30 seconds a side before serving. Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

The Best Way to Cook a Steak