Anyone here do Nondestructive Testing?

thinking about jumping into this field. anyone have any experience?

What are we talking about here? Testing for coatings? Metals?. X-Ray testing of welds? Yes I've dabbled in them all. It's a lucrative business and for the very little amount of training you need to perform the test it is worth it to your pocket. You won't have the background to necessarily determine cause and effect of structural deficiency but it gets your foot in the door. Phone Post 3.0

^^so is that what you do now? work on cause and effect?

i was just wondering what the work was like, hours and such. how long you're away from home, etc.

usually if someone tells you "it's a great job for a single guy..." it really means: the hours are fucking miserable and it's a great job for nobody, regardless of pay.

It depends on what type of testing you want to do? Non-destructive testing covers a wide range of practices and materials. My background is in corrosion engineering and as such I perform a plethora of different test to determine failure rates and to implement designs to stop or mitigate those failures. I currently work for a consultant firm that deals primarily with corrosion on structures. Whether that structure is a bridge, pipeline, concrete, dock shoring or off shore rigging eventually it will fail. It's the life cycle of corrosion and in such all metal structures eventually corrode and fail. Phone Post 3.0

so where did you pick up the training?

i'm looking at a place that does a 4 month course that gets you a lvl 1 entry position

I used to work for Sunoco. NDT level 2 but have since let those certifications lapse. I primarily now deal with the corrosion side of things. As far as money and time were concerned they were great. It is a job more suitable for a younger single man but I've seen happily married men make small fortunes of your willing to put in the time. I will suggest that you look at asnt.org which is the website for the association that oversees NDT. If you have not yet decided on what you want to do I suggest looking up the national association of corrosion engineers. Nace performs similar testing but the training is not as expensive. They deal mainly with coatings and Cathodic protection. There are week long training course held through out the country for as little as $1600/course. Phone Post 3.0

baj54 - I used to work for Sunoco. NDT level 2 but have since let those certifications lapse. I primarily now deal with the corrosion side of things. As far as money and time were concerned they were great. It is a job more suitable for a younger single man but I've seen happily married men make small fortunes of your willing to put in the time. I will suggest that you look at asnt.org which is the website for the association that oversees NDT. If you have not yet decided on what you want to do I suggest looking up the national association of corrosion engineers. Nace performs similar testing but the training is not as expensive. They deal mainly with coatings and Cathodic protection. There are week long training course held through out the country for as little as $1600/course. Phone Post 3.0

interesting. thanks for the heads up.

I have friends in the oil and welding industries. They all rave about how well a level 3 NDT/NDE guy can do. Phone Post 3.0

Unfilter,
If you'd like, shoot me your email and I can give you plenty of information and some advice.

I have my level 2 in LPI. I have the courses for ultrasonic and mag particle inspection but not the hours. I don t travel, we produce oil field components and our customer requires NDT on the products we send them, so there are opportunities if you want to stay put. My trainer did tell me that you can make a lot of money if you are willing to travel.

thebulldog25 - Unfilter,
If you'd like, shoot me your email and I can give you plenty of information and some advice.

hey man i really appreciate you reaching out.

looks like you only accept pms from pros but unfilter@hotmail.com is my email. i'd be interested in anything you had to say.

UK ??

Real quiet for NDT due to fall in oil prices.

I'm leaving the marines this year,I was gonna do NDT and rope access but I'm going to do wind turbine tech instead. Phone Post 3.0

bushmonkey - I have my level 2 in LPI. I have the courses for ultrasonic and mag particle inspection but not the hours. I don t travel, we produce oil field components and our customer requires NDT on the products we send them, so there are opportunities if you want to stay put. My trainer did tell me that you can make a lot of money if you are willing to travel.

awesome. where are you based out of? where'd you get your training?

45forever - UK ??

I'm leaving the marines this year,I was gonna do NDT and rope access but I'm going to do wind turbine tech instead. Phone Post 3.0

what are you looking at for wtt? got a program in mind?

unfilter -
45forever - UK ??

what are you looking at for wtt? got a program in mind?

I have a background in plant mechanics,so Diesel engines,hydraulics and transmissions.

Im gonna couple that with my GWO safety offshore course and try to get a entry level starting position.
I know it's not necessarily related,I'm just using it to show im mechanically minded and can learn a trade.

The offshore wind turbine course isn't anything mechanical it's just like,electrics safety and working at height and in confined spaces. Phone Post 3.0