Anyone here ever broken a lateral epicondyle?

My eight-year-old daughter fell from the monkey bars on Wednesday and snapped her radius (wrist) and lateral epicondyle (elbow). It was so bad they had to send her to Sick Kids in Toronto for emergency surgery. Apparently the shards from the snapped lateral epicondyle were resting on a major artery. They set the wrist and pinned the elbow and she was released last night. 

She is in so much pain that the morphine she's on isn't touching it.

Has anyone suffered a similar injury and if so, how long until the pain starts to subside and are there any lingering affects of the break (i.e. mobility or arthritis)? She's stuck on the sofa all day and night and even the slightest movement sends her into fits of pain and screaming.

And before anyone calls WFA, this is Abby, who created one of the most famous MMA memes here, "Chocolate Al."

I'm not a doctor but based on surgeries I've had myself I would say the pain eases as the swelling goes down few days post op.
Speedy recovery for your girl.

Thanks, man. Nothing worse as a parent than having a sick or injured child and not be able to do anything about it.

Sorry to hear about your daughter wish her. Speedy recovery. Phone Post

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, she landed strangely with her arm behind her back like she was in a Kimura. Otherwise she probably would just have a sore butt.

Thanks, Jaybrone. Glad we have socialized healthcare here, or I might have needed to take out a second mortgage. 

Destined to have pointy elbows!

Seriously though, that looks horrible. Best wishes to your daughter, I hope everything heals up 110%. That kink in the wrist and again at the elbow look soooooo damn painful, especially for someone so young.

Damn dude.  I remember a kid I went to school with when I was about her age back in like 89 or 90 did pretty much the exact same thing.  Hope for her to have a speedy recovery.

Thanks guys. Hope it doesn't affect her sweet drawing skills. I told her at least her robot game won't be affected.

Anyone have a similar injury?

That sucks man, hope she recovers fast. Phone Post

Oh man!!! What a tough thing for both of you to go through. Get well soon Chocolate Abby

Leghound - Destined to have pointy elbows!

Seriously though, that looks horrible. Best wishes to your daughter, I hope everything heals up 110%. That kink in the wrist and again at the elbow look soooooo damn painful, especially for someone so young.

Ur a cunt for that first comment. Straight up Phone Post

Parents having to watch their kids suffer is one of the worst feelings there is.

Prayers for you guys, man.

JM

Dude, I can see it now!

In b4 pictures of daughter in hospital bed with Chocolate Al, himself, posing beside it!

Cindy, Dana, or whoever: MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Oh man, I'm so sorry for her. I know similar pain - I had a shattered femur once (literally, the bone was pulverized). I spent seven weeks immobilized in traction. What did help was compression on my leg, which was easy for me since I was in a kind of adjustable brace. Looks like she's in a hard cast, though?

TheClips - Dude, I can see it now!

In b4 pictures of daughter in hospital bed with Chocolate Al, himself, posing beside it!

Cindy, Dana, or whoever: MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Thanks everyone. Today has been rough. Nausea from the morphine. Throwing it up and having to wait 3-4 hours for another dose wasn't easy. When the fall happened my bulldog was in labor, which sucked since I couldn't go to the hospital with Abby and my wife.

Having her brothers and sisters bringing her puppies to snuggle today helped take her mind off of the pain. Just hoping there aren't any long-lasting issues as she grows.

Nobody? I figured it would be a common grappling injury. Phone Post

Is this thread about dinosaurs? Phone Post