Anyone here play Chess?

I started getting into Chess after reading Josh Waitzkin's book "Art of Learning". Anyways my brother in law plays pretty regular but he's not great or anything. Me and him are playing 3 games in a month. Loser buys movie tickets.

Any advice/tips? Phone Post 3.0

Be aggressive and attack!! Control that middle.

RicGillespie - Be aggressive and attack!! Control that middle.
That's what she said. Zing. Phone Post 3.0

Some of the worst chess players that ever walked were denver bronco fans.

SD CARTEL - Some of the worst chess players that ever walked were denver bronco fans.
What's better, being the worst chess player or the best checkers player? Phone Post 3.0

useless - I started getting into Chess after reading Josh Waitzkin's book "Art of Learning". Anyways my brother in law plays pretty regular but he's not great or anything. Me and him are playing 3 games in a month. Loser buys movie tickets.

Patience, take your time and every move try and evaluate his counter and your counter to that. If you always think 2-3 moves ahead you can beat an average occasional player. Phone Post 3.0

My mom made it mandatory for her boys to grow up playing so that we could help her teach it at our elementary school, its great logic and strategic thinking for young developing minds. Helped her make some decent money with her regular job as a nurse. Me and my brothers were teaching other kids by age 5 and playing in local tournaments all around D.C. My older brothers even played in the Nationals in Nashville Ten.

Funny story: One of my brothers was like 10 and lost on the big stage at the nationals to this asian kid. He ran off crying! We looked up the kid now some 18 or so years later and it turns out he became this big sponsored grandmaster and is rich of the living it makes him.

Only real advice is to use chess-master (tutorial program) if you want to learn real strategy. You can fck around and get "ok" just by playing a lot but you'll never be good unless you study chess theory. I've been stuck at a low-decent level for about 15 years. And I used to play for hours every day. Phone Post

pharochuck -
useless - I started getting into Chess after reading Josh Waitzkin's book "Art of Learning". Anyways my brother in law plays pretty regular but he's not great or anything. Me and him are playing 3 games in a month. Loser buys movie tickets.

Patience, take your time and every move try and evaluate his counter and your counter to that. If you always think 2-3 moves ahead you can beat an average occasional player. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks bro! Ideally wait till later to bring my queen? Attack with? Rooks? Phone Post 3.0

Use the fried liver attack Phone Post 3.0

useless - 
SD CARTEL - Some of the worst chess players that ever walked were denver bronco fans.
What's better, being the worst chess player or the best checkers player? Phone Post 3.0

I need to think about that.

Chess requires a lot of time to master. Even Josh himself isn't a grandmaster.

OneGloveJimmerson - My mom made it mandatory for her boys to grow up playing so that we could help her teach it at our elementary school, its great logic and strategic thinking for young developing minds. Helped her make some decent money with her regular job as a nurse. Me and my brothers were teaching other kids by age 5 and playing in local tournaments all around D.C. My older brothers even played in the Nationals in Nashville Ten.

Funny story: One of my brothers was like 10 and lost on the big stage at the nationals to this asian kid. He ran off crying! We looked up the kid now some 18 or so years later and it turns out he became this big sponsored grandmaster and is rich of the living it makes him.

Asian kid is Nakamura?

^ have to ask my brother but I am pretty sure thats a bingo

greco yeoman - 

Only real advice is to use chess-master (tutorial program) if you want to learn real strategy. You can fck around and get "ok" just by playing a lot but you'll never be good unless you study chess theory. I've been stuck at a low-decent level for about 15 years. And I used to play for hours every day. Phone Post

I ordered chess master last week. should be here in a few days

I love chess. Play online whenever I can. The only thing that's a drag is there are a lot of cheaters online. People use programs against you so you are essentially just playing their computer. Phone Post

Just use fools mate a couple of times and get some free tickets. Phone Post 3.0

frostyturd - 

I love chess. Play online whenever I can. The only thing that's a drag is there are a lot of cheaters online. People use programs against you so you are essentially just playing their computer. Phone Post

That's fucking depressing. what's the point?! too look cool for the other anonymous player on the other side of the internet?

frostyturd - 

I knew it... I always considered myself a decent player.. This explains my online experience.

sign up for chess.com it has some awesome training tools and you can friend me and play me. my handle is cliffordthered