Anyone here trane in Calgary, AB?

I recently moved from Ottawa to Calgary and want to get back into training..mostly muay thai but bjj/wrestling also.

I trained muay thai for over 3 years in ottawa but have been out the last year with a shoulder injury plus moving.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I hear mike miles muay thai is one of the best mt gyms in the country, but I want to go somewhere that offers bjj.

I plan on trying out champion's creed mma (Nick Ring's gym) also. I'm having a hard time finding anything online and I know the best way is to get out and try but i'm trying to narrow down my options.

Any insight is appreciated!

I would say move away from that dirty city as quickly as possible

interesting...i'll have to look into that. only problem is oil = $$$ = goodbye student loans. so it's safe to say i'm staying here for a while thanks though

SHOGUN250 - I would say move away from that dirty city as quickly as possible

http://www.forbes.com/2007/04/16/worlds-cleanest-cities-biz-logistics-cx_rm_0416cleanest_slide_2.html 

#1 Calgary, Canada

Population: 988,193

Metro area: 5,107 square km

Calgary is the fastest growing city in Canada and has been known in the past as a center for oil and gas. Today it has taken on an added attraction in sports and is becoming more sought by tourists. It has light manufacturing. It was chosen by the Economic Intelligence Unit as a leading city to live in.  

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40843779/The_10_Cleanest_Cities?slide=11

"That Calgary holds the No. 1 position on this list is even more impressive considering Calgary’s province Alberta actually leads Canada in per capita waste: 2174 pounds per person. Facing a rapid economic and population expansion, Alberta revamped its sanitation system in the past two years with the Too Good to Waste program, which aims to decrease the amount of waste sent to landfills. Additional efforts were being made to reduce construction and demolition waste through training, increasing recycling of materials (such as wood, asphalt, drywall, shingles and concrete), as well as financial incentive and disincentive programs. "

Another one just for fun..from yesterday:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/World+most+livable+cities+Calgary+makes+list/7093290/story.html

"World's 10 most livable cities (Calgary makes list)
So we didn't get as many Olympic gold medals as other countries, but we rock when it comes to livable cities. The Economist's latest edition of its Most Livable Cities Index lists Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto among the 10 most livable metropolitan areas in the world. Montreal was the only other Canadian city to rank in the 140-city survey, placing at 16th."

But let's not get too side-tracked...anyone have any experience with Calgary gyms? Specifically the ones I mentioned?

Really?? No Calgary UGers??

LOL @ it being the #1 city in Canada to live in.

Victoria, Vancouver, pretty much any city in BC, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa are all much much nicer. and that's not from some Forbes list, that's from personal experience.

But to answer your question, yes, Champion's Creed will likely be your best bet.

My friend trains @ Gracie Barra's Gym. He absolutely loves it there and highly recommends it. Personally I never been there, but have trained at MM, which I recommend. Phone Post

for MT mike myles used to be excellent in Calgary, but I'm not sure if he's around still or not.

SHOGUN250 - LOL @ it being the #1 city in Canada to live in.

Victoria, Vancouver, pretty much any city in BC, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa are all much much nicer. and that's not from some Forbes list, that's from personal experience.

But to answer your question, yes, Champion's Creed will likely be your best bet.

I'm no fan of Calgary.  But I'd live there before I'd ever move back to Toronto.  Fuck that place.  And I'm not a fan of Montreal at all.  I've been there 5 or 6 times, and every time I couldn't wait to leave.  Now Victoria and Vancouver.  Those are some places I could live for sure if I was planning on continuing the city life.  But once I get some money saved up, I'm moving to some pissant little town in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan or central Alberta.

GeneraI - My friend trains @ Gracie Barra's Gym. He absolutely loves it there and highly recommends it. Personally I never been there, but have trained at MM, which I recommend. Phone Post

Ya I went to a small event here a few months ago and saw one of their guys fight.

He looked like a fish out of water on the feet and I thought he was gonna get destroyed but they fell to the ground in a scramble and the guy dominated and slapped on the slickest armbar. You could tell his jj was top notch, miles above anyone else I saw at that event.

I would love to learn bjj at that level but I'm not sure they have much of a striking program. The website looks like they don't have one at all. Phone Post

teepsfordays -
GeneraI - My friend trains @ Gracie Barra's Gym. He absolutely loves it there and highly recommends it. Personally I never been there, but have trained at MM, which I recommend. Phone Post

Ya I went to a small event here a few months ago and saw one of their guys fight.

He looked like a fish out of water on the feet and I thought he was gonna get destroyed but they fell to the ground in a scramble and the guy dominated and slapped on the slickest armbar. You could tell his jj was top notch, miles above anyone else I saw at that event.

I would love to learn bjj at that level but I'm not sure they have much of a striking program. The website looks like they don't have one at all. Phone Post

Yes, it's strictly bjj. Phone Post

Champions Creed or Gracie Barra Phone Post

Who were you with in Ottawa? Phone Post

Ottawa academy of martial arts. Loved that gym wish they had an affiliate out here. Phone Post