anyone hurt their upper back before?

I hurt mine on Wednesday. I twisted and picked up my bag and poof felt that twinge of pain and immediate onset of immobility with agonizing pain. I had to lay down for about a day and a half after that totally immobile. lucky it was sunny as fuck so I took some melanotan and I got super fucking tanned while crippled. gotta take advantage of the situation some how. anyway I've hurt my lower back many times but never upper back. I'm almost certain it was from doing very heavy barbell overhead presses the day before with a slight arch in my back because I was cheating the last few reps as I got tired. it's been 3 days and I'm way better  I've been busting out some pushups and riding a stationary bike to stay sane but I'm worried I wont be able to work by monday. I build elevators for a living so I cant do my job in my current state. I've been in the sauna and rolling the area out with a lacrosse ball and pounding the area with my timtam. stretching a bunch. taking CBD oil. any other tips? 

so you guys are telling me, with atleast 50 % of OGers being raging homosexuals, that none of you fags have been bent over by a burly man and had to rehab your back after? I find that extremely hard to believe. 

Put magnesium oil on the painful area. Lotions are available too. The oil is the least expensive and most effective pain remedy I've found. Gives 4-8 hrs of relief

1 Like

Choked72 -

Put magnesium oil on the painful area. Lotions are available too. The oil is the least expensive and most effective pain remedy I've found. Gives 4-8 hrs of relief

never heard of that. Interesting. cheers. 

Dry needling is an important part of my back pain managment.

1 Like

Using my laptop on a low table always helps me.

1 Like

This is a life saver for some temporary relief!

Berner -

They need a back/ball scratcher combo 

i've had pain in my upper back 40 years. feels like a ice pick at the trap/lat/rhombiod junction.

there are shit loads of things there that can cause pain. no DR has been able to figure it

Definitely see a doctor it's your best bet to getting back to life and lifting again. 

My bro-advice : Heavy overhead barbell work is a real injury maker, the fixed range of motion is a joint killer, and your back can be compromised. Plus there are much smarter ways to get jacked delts. The OHP is not hitting much that an incline bench isn't already hitting. Nearly everyone has unbalanced shoulders with weak rear delts because they focus so much on pressing.

1 Like

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

i've had pain in my upper back 40 years. feels like a ice pick at the trap/lat/rhombiod junction.

there are shit loads of things there that can cause pain. no DR has been able to figure it

I am right there with you since 2004.  Mostly in my left side.  Very painful on my neck as the trap anchors there.   Lately it hasn't been so bad there, but now all the pain has moved down to my low back, hip,groin area.  I believe it's related.

This one is obvious but eat lots of good food, high protein.

I hurt my upper back like 15 years ago working. It still hurts from time to time. When it starts hurting I just take it easy for a week or so and it calms down. 

I don't think any of these injuries really go away. They just accumulate and harass you at opportune moments. 

Berner - 

Am I the only one that thought this was for your ass?

This^ The spine rolls help me.

Also... Yoga ball. Slow back arches over it, don't over do it. Just slight stretches, further each time. I go from a very low squatted position with the ball at my lower back, then push and roll back over it. A little more each time until I'm fully arched.

After that I take a foam roller and lean against the wall with it on my mid to lower back and slowly drop down into a wall sit, but leaning back more until the roller is across my shoulder blades and repeat.

Last, I stretch out on an inversion table with a high arched lumbar support. While inverted a grab the base support and do like an inverted pull up to really stretch.

MarsMan -
Neil McCauley -

I hurt mine on Wednesday. I twisted and picked up my bag and poof felt that twinge of pain and immediate onset of immobility with agonizing pain. I had to lay down for about a day and a half after that totally immobile. lucky it was sunny as fuck so I took some melanotan and I got super fucking tanned while crippled. gotta take advantage of the situation some how. anyway I've hurt my lower back many times but never upper back. I'm almost certain it was from doing very heavy barbell overhead presses the day before with a slight arch in my back because I was cheating the last few reps as I got tired. it's been 3 days and I'm way better  I've been busting out some pushups and riding a stationary bike to stay sane but I'm worried I wont be able to work by monday. I build elevators for a living so I cant do my job in my current state. I've been in the sauna and rolling the area out with a lacrosse ball and pounding the area with my timtam. stretching a bunch. taking CBD oil. any other tips? 

> any other tips? 

Ice packs work best for me, especially during the initial onset of inflammation.

Neil, make sure you don't have other habits that cause bad posture and just make you more to injury.

In my case, I was constantly having issues until I stopped using laptops in low tables.. it was hard to track that as the pain was felt between my shoulder blades and not on the neck as one would expect... mindlessly browsing shit on a cellphone fucks me up too.

Not trying to open a huge can of worms, but the older I get, the more I think it's important to use less weight but focus more on form and time under tension when lifiting.

Appreciate the advice brother. it's hard for me not to try to hit PR's every other training session. even while cutting weight. I am a maniac. that's my problem. add in 40+ hours of functional but awkward lifting and cranking on things and swinging on stuff  at work and it's a recipe for disaster. 

effinggoof - Dry needling is an important part of my back pain managment.

thanks bud I've had it done for a pinched nerve in my arm and it helped tremendously. it's hard to get into see a physio these days but Its a good idea. 

Berner -

good call. I have a lacrosse ball that I lay on the floor with. accomplishes same thing.