Anyone into the Vanlife?

My wife is wanting to go strictly Vanlife next year when kids go off to college. Might also do the Great Divide ride, I’ll make a separate thread on that 

1 Like

Very interested in it. I follow all the Instagram pages for it. I’m buying a Sprinter next year to start converting. 

Wife’s cousin did it for over a year and now has a studio apartment on the coast of Oregon as a base but is always traveling in her van. She’s currently going down to Texas. The freedom would be really nice but i gotta work sometimes lol!

She just wants free candy. Make sure you have plenty. When you bang her park by the river and remind her she's banging a guy who lives in a van down by the river. 

1 Like

Here’s the link to her blog 

Www.ladyandavan.com

i know she loves when people read her posts on there so give it a look

1 Like

I was so close. Got a job offer I couldn't refuse a day before I was going to buy a van. Still very interested and may give it a shot in a year or two with a little more budget. 

https://youtu.be/PREWumko9E8

I really like this guys inexpensive builds. 

UKMN - 

Here’s the link to her blog 

Www.ladyandavan.com

i know she loves when people read her posts on there so give it a look

![](upload://bDAnDFqtVcF7DV2zE7HzZ1B7keR.jpeg)

1 Like

Interested in it. 

I have a large trailer. rv parks will wear you out on costs nowadays. cheaper than hotels. 

the van life seems kool. a lot of boondocking . it is getting harder and harder to find free places to park. wal mart is cutting back on that stuff. people take advantage. 

I would get a little tired of small living area. 

a lot of those people are designing their rigs around anonymous looking work vans and u hauls to keep from attracting unwanted attention or the dreaded "midnight knock".  

I wonder if hobo ally chick smells like a bottle of piss

1 Like

I've run into a few different ones in San Diego and Oceanside. Most of them have been really cool and showed us their setups. Its a very interesting life I talked with a guy who was a disabled veteran. He has minimal income, but enjoys being by the California beaches. He has a gym membership and showers there everyday. Makes sensible healthy meals on a hotplate and walks the beach with his dog for hours each day. I don't know if I could make such a downsize, but I was pretty jealous of him. The guy seemed to have found genuine peace in life.

1 Like

Why not just buy a RV so you can have moderate space and a bathroom?  Do you really want to take the rest of your showers at truck stops? 

there are times when it looks fun

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFG9ZmPnm-o/

3 Likes
sewich - 

Why not just buy a RV so you can have moderate space and a bathroom?  Do you really want to take the rest of your showers at truck stops? 

For a lot of people, I think it’s because RVs tend to be WAY more expensive.

They’re also much more difficult to use as an everyday travel vehicle, as people are living in their vans full-time. As a result, they’re not only their domicile, but primary means of transportation.

(Good luck driving downtown in an RV.)

At the same time, some van conversions actually have bathrooms / showers, though it does seem like the water disposal aspect would end up being very cumbersome / bothersome.

By hopefully next year, I don’t plan on necessarily doing the van life thing, but definitely being nomadic - staying in nicer extended stay hotels, AirB&Bs, etc.

1 Like

OP- You don't pick vanlife, vanlife picks you.

2 Likes
Mountain Medic -

OP- You don't pick vanlife, vanlife picks you.

I agree

![](upload://eir76XPSFXbWhKhvZadulrcJtSi.jpeg)

My wife’s van. she had the Olive Drab green paint for about 11 years now. held up really well

1 Like
sewich -

good question. the rvs more space and water access. for sure. But dealing with water and disposal is a huge pain in the ass. A bigger pain in the ass than showering at a campground or gym. 

if you shit in your RV  you are essentially living with shit in your trailer. lol. hard to explain. RVing is work. 

Rv  slots are getting pricey. 30-50 dollars a night in most area. really nice places out west 50-80-100 depending on how glammy it is. It is a lot of money that adds up. 

You can get monthly deals for 500-600 which is pretty good because most of the time it includes water and electric. 

uniquetechnique -

![](upload://eir76XPSFXbWhKhvZadulrcJtSi.jpeg)

My wife’s van. she had the Olive Drab green paint for about 11 years now. held up really well

I had one of those. I got SO much shit… Until people rode in it.

Those are good rigs. Vortec engine, AWD, built on a truck chassis.

Not sure if they are still in business but OverlandVan used to make a quality 2.5 lift for them. That color is awesome.