Anyone know what this triangle technique is?

About ten years ago, when I was a blue belt, I was training at a BTT school that was just switching to Lloyd Irvin so I don’t know which lineage this technique comes from.

Anyways, they showed this technique to overcome resistance when you’ve got someone in a triangle. I think it was to counter him trying to posture up or create space, but I really don’t remember.

Anwyways, the technique was this: you’ve got your triangle locked up as normal. You control his arm and head with your arms, unlock your legs, switch them and then lock them up again in the foot-behind-knee position. (But now, because they’re switched, instead of your legs being locked up behind their choking shoulder, they’re locked up on the other side of his neck, above the shoulder of the arm that’s free.

Then you use your legs to push him back into the position you want him to be in, then switch them back to the normal triangle position and finish the choke.

Does anyone know what this technique is? If you have a video of it I’d be super grateful.

I think you are talking about an opposite side triangle. The one that is commonly used as a counter when the person you are trying to triangle aggressively puts their choking elbow glued to your hip+ground (almost like they are giving you an omoplata). Depending on your angle of the opposite side triangle, you can turn this into a neck crank, use it as a way to off balance, or if you invert enough, it turns it into a choke.

1 Like

Somewhat similar, but not quite the same. The counter I’m thinking of was used to readjust the uke and then switch back to the regular triangle. You’re moving them around, whereas the opposite side triangles I’ve been taught involve you moving around them (underhooking their leg and spinning underneath them).

Sorry, I know this is vague. This has bugged me for the past decade. I assumed I’d see this technique again, but I never have and it’s always kind of lingered in my mind.

In what way is the uke readjusted? I only ask because when you use the opposite side triangle, you can use it sneak an arm inside of their trapped arm and elevate your hips to extract their trapped arm and either attack that arm with ude gatame, kimura OR push that trapped elbow to your centre line and re-adjust your leg orientation for a normal triangle. You sure it’s not some variation of that?

You straighten him upright or maybe even push his torso to the other side (towards his shoulder that isn’t in the triangle). As I’m typing this, I’m trying to figure out what problem this would solve. Maybe if you’re starting to lose his arm? I just can’t remember.