Anyone never been able to shake the futility of life?

1. Word choice means things, so “semantics” matter.

2. The “ugly” thing is from a life’s worth of observation and experience…people telling themselves otherwise are burying their head in the sand or are better looking than they themselves realize, but we’ll leave that for another thread.

You’re gonna stretch your whole wide for me? Thanks!!! Put a dress on and we’ll call it a date.

1 Like

Oh boy, can’t save em all.

Good luck out there.

1 Like

We can’t all be winners, but you sound like you’re doing good, keep doin your thing…

You gonna be my new punk?

“One day some people came to the master and asked: How can you be happy in a world of such impermanence, where you cannot protect your loved ones from harm, illness or death? The master held up a glass and said: Someone gave me this glass; It holds my water admirably and it glistens in the sunlight. I touch it and it rings! One day the wind may blow it off the shelf, or my elbow may knock it from the table. I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it - incredibly.”

~ Ajahn Chah

6 Likes

No, but if you’re a good boy I’ll let you lick powdered sugar off my taint. Deal?

I’ve stood in some of the most beautiful places, in the most beautiful countries in the world. And while everyone stands there in awe of the scenery, I just stand there thinking, “Meh”

It baffles me and bothers me because I feel like I should be amazed at this world and blah blah blah.

Fuckin meh

And that’s my daily outlook on this boring fuckin existence.

2 Likes

This pandemic is running laps on people’s minds. You are no different OP.

Gotta focus on the little things and make the best out of them.

I’m looking forward to playing soccer and scoring goals again, looking forward to travelling for my kids’ fights once again, went back to school so that’s keeping me busy and looking forward to changing careers next year, the girlfriend and I want to travel tons as soon as everything reopens. We have saved lots of $ and my investments are doing really well, never had so much in the bank accounts.

What can I do now? I’m going camping in two weeks by myself an entire weekend. Just relaxing, fishing and enjoying the quiet.

OP find 2-3 things that make you happy and focus on them, from your reactions to candid posts in this thread you seem like you have low EQ (emotional intelligence) but unlike IQ you can actually improve that.

Good luck.

This is the feeling I get. Family, wealth, adventure, things that most never experience to the degree I have … yet.

Done the same, was at the Pyramids and could see from the hotel. Good enough.
It is like the usual expectations seem empty.

Sounds like depressive realism. I have it too.

Yup. This hit me big time when I was young and watched cancer take my father’s life. And twice a year, at the cemetery, I am reminded of how “silly” life is, being Sisyphean and all. In 100 years, everyone you would have known in life will be gone.

This actually led me to look into the concepts of Buddhism and of the like. This concept has been understood for a long time. The concept that no matter what happens in life, something deep within us is off-kilter. And we try to repair this off-kilter feeling with seeking perpetual happiness or family, religion, money, sex, drugs, hobbies, etc. But it is all fleeting and that there is no fixed state that is possible. Conversely, that the is very essence of what drives humanity. Without it, we would cease to exist.

This reflection of this realisation usually rears its ugly head in the worst moments of life. The vast majority of people do NOT reflect. They just run on auto-pilot of work, family, hobbies until one day, something catastrophic happens (loss, sickness, etc) I think we are seeing it on a grand sense in that the pandemic has made even the most auto-pilot ppl to look inwards, even somewhat. Life is always heading towards entropy and that is hard to reconcile for ppl who tend to be more ‘aware’

Just do kratom if youre bummed out. Or mushrooms.

Or maybe become a fag for a few months and see if that helps. Helps to get it out of your system too imo. A buddy of mine did that a few years back, now hes married to a perfect 10 chick and hes not gay at all.

Yes OP I have felt this way for at least 10 years. It is debilitating. It takes away any drive to better yourself. I have had moments in these 10 years where I have a great job a good relationship and yet still there is no enjoyment in any of it.

I feel the same OP. Have you had any meaningful relationships?

I had a girlfriend that gave my life a lot of meaning and happiness and I was a pretty poor boyfriend and threw it all away.

Obviously one needs purpose independently of others but in the end we’re social animals and some way or another everything we do ultimately finds its meaning in relation to other people.

Life is a drag for me these days, and I’ve got it pretty good. I just don’t get joy from it. I’ve met other girls but they do nothing for me. If you offered me a million dollars, I’d take it but I don’t think it would even make me smile.

Anyway man, as hard as it is, we can only keep our chin up and keep grinding it out. I know I have some lessons to learn and misery is a great teacher.

All the best

1 Like

Yall need Jesus and more kids.

Gbest post ive ever read about metaphysics on the OG.

Sounds like depression.