Anyone not think Proverbs is...

the best book of the Bible? It's the only book I can just pick up and read casually and get something from without having to actually study it. My favorite.

What do people always say about the Bible? "It just metaphorical, it isn't literal, blah blah blah" Well, Proverbs is both, and it is obvious when it is which.

"The Bible doesn't apply to today, blah blah blah" Well, Proverbs always has and always will be applicable to life. So there.

If you think another book is better than Proverbs, you are wrong, but I'd like to hear why anyway. lol

joey, proverbs is indeed a great book.But so are all the others. They all touch on certain things. All have their strong points. to be honest though Proverbs is probably not one of my Favorites. The Gospel Of John and Job would get my nod. But hey to each his own. If you get something out of it or any of the other books, then they've served their purpose.

yours in Christ

sherm

proverbs is indeed a great book.But so are all the others.You obviously haven't read Numbers. ;-)

I like proverbs a lot...it tells you how to live a wonderful fufilling life. Was probably written when solomon was young. Ecclesiastes was written later in life,when he was old. And you can see the clear constrasts between the view's. This intrest me very much.

I read Ecclesiastes more than Proverbs. I identify with the author of the former.

I like them both equally...I just think its intresting to see the constrast of the author from when he was a young man full of knowledge, and when he was an old man full of knowledge that was "meaningless"

I assume you're coming from the classical position that Solomon was the auther of both, JosuaB. I'm sure you're aware that modern biblical scholars do not hold that position...

yup...im aware of it...even if that is the case i think its good to see the different types of wisdom to be presented...and I think we can see that one is from an early in life perspective....and the other is written looking back on life.

I tried not to rate books in the Bible against each other. I think each book has its own purpose and objective and because of that it isn't really fair to compare them to each other as far as which is better etc.

They all have something to say and they all have a certain perspective or view to present.

I love both Ecclesiates and Proverbs. Again I think the purpose and objective of these two books are different. I think Proverb's objective is to give one practical advice for everyday living. I think if everyone took that advice to heart and lived according then they wouldn't have to deal with the theme outlined in Ecclesiates, which is a life lived devoid of any relationship with God is toil and vain (empty).

It is true that Solomon may have written Ecclesiates late in his life BUT much of what is written can be directly traced to certain Psalms written by Solomon's father David. I think Solomon actual experienced some of the very things that his Father experience and taught him.

I think Psalms 127:1-5 and Psalms 39:1-7 summarize the point of Ecclesiates (I should say summarize one of the key points of Ecclesiates).

Ultimately I'm thankful that the Bible has many books within it that deal with every aspect of our existence.

I'm searching for the good wife described at the end of Proverbs.

I don´t want even read what is at the end of Proverbs...

Why not Donna? Many christian women I know find the descriptions there empowering.

I agree man. Some will find them honorable and empowering but some will find them to be dominating given the image of women portrayed today as free spirits first and wives and mothers as a distant second. It describes as close as you can get to the perfect wife.

gebremaryam, isaih is probably the most powerful book in the OT..good choice.

yours in Christ

sherm

Because usualy men mistake a good wife with a slave.

I read 10 chapters out of Proverbs last night alone, really made me rethink a lot of the things I do, and supported me in the things I'm trying to change. Good stuff.

Some of the other books are good too though ;)

JoeyC, Proverbs has some great quotes about friendship too: A friend is closer than a brother...a three-fold cord is not easily broken....

Donna, I guess there are guys who could use the Good Wife of Proverbs section as an excuse to treat a wife as a slave, but ANY passage from the Bible can be warped for bad purposes. I clearly see the Good Wife as a woman devoted to her family.

The Bible also has plenty to say on men being devoted to their families:

Malachi 4:6 -- And He will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers.

Ephesians 5:25 -- Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her.

Matthew 2:13-14 -- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Rise, take the Child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there till I tell you...." And he rose and took the Child and his mother by night, and departed to Egypt.

"I clearly see the Good Wife as a woman devoted to her family."

Devotion? Blergh!

devotion noun;
1 [often foll by to] strong attachment (to) or affection (for a cause, person, etc.) marked by dedicated loyalty;
2 religious zeal; piety;
3 [often pl] religious observance or prayers

Sorry, BMac, but I cannot agree.

I think that definition of devotion is great! I don't see anything negative in there. Strong attachment... affection... dedicated loyalty.... These are exactly the qualities I want in myself and my wife.

Those are qualities that you can try to achieve by yourself, but that no one can expect that another person fulfills it. Love is something you give freely, not that you demand to receive.