Anyone on bad terms with father cuz he’s douche?

Sometimes I feel like he’s the worst person that I’ve ever met short or crimes committed. He had a clean record and isn’t an alcoholic or physically abusive but he can drive a saint to insanity. I’m not the only person who sees this my mother and brother have identical opinions but they tolerate him better because he wasn’t a monster to them the way he was to me through my younger years. 

Ive tried countless times over the years to make amends by being civil, patient, friendly, etc but it was all for nothing.

i think this is the second time I’m starting this topic in 5 years. Im a bit older and wiser so I’m more open to different perspectives.  

nope, my father is the best person I've ever known

"He wasn’t a monster to them the way he was to me through my younger years."

...or, your probably just an insecure, dramatic prick looking for someone to blame like my brother.

My dad is unbelievably irritating most days of the week. If you can't stop and reflect on the sacrifices he made for you, and appreciate the things he did, and treat him with the respect he deserves, your probably a dick.

My dad was an alcoholic piece of shit. He died 14 years ago when I was 17. Wish things would have been better.

Mine's been in prison most of my life. When he got out for a few years right when I was hitting puberty age, he pretty much blew me off to chase pussy and get high. I refuse to have kids because I fear I'll be like him. Does that count?

My grandpa was a 85 year old who acted 4.  My dad barely spoke to him the last ten years he was alive.

My dad is a piece of trash. Drugs, violence against women and children, never held down a job. No interest in seeing him again.

My Father was an alcoholic woman beater piece of shit. I have not seen or heard form him since around 2001. I have no idea if he is alive or dead.

My Stepfather, who was basically my Dad, passed away a year and a half ago. Cancer of the liver and bladder.

I miss him a lot.

Harlow's Rhesus - "He wasn’t a monster to them the way he was to me through my younger years."

...or, your probably just an insecure, dramatic prick looking for someone to blame like my brother.

My dad is unbelievably irritating most days of the week. If you can't stop and reflect on the sacrifices he made for you, and appreciate the things he did, and treat him with the respect he deserves, your probably a dick.
Wow you are an idiot. Ever think others may not have had the same type of relationships or upbringing you did?

I remember my pops would beat my ass with whatever behavioural modification tool was closest when I stepped out of line. Garden hose, extension cord, fly swatter, spatula.. you name it and he set my ass straight with it. He had a 2x4 that he carved into a paddle with holes drilled through to cut down on wind resistance, and a short bullwhip for when I really fucked up. They were both hung on the wall in the living room until I threw them in the fireplace one night knowing I'd be getting my ass kicked for sure. That didn't turn out to be such a good plan after all.. Other times he'd make me write a letter of apology, in triplicate, and make me read it several times over, rewriting and repeating if I made any errors. One thing he also did was to have me hold out my arms with a belt hung over each one for five minutes. If one of my arms dropped, that was the belt I was getting whipped with. He never once hit me with a closed fist, even when I swung on him at 16 years old. He just shoved me back into a wall, taking the wind out of me.

The man is a god damned saint.

A disabled Vietnam veteran, USMC, raised my four year elder brother and I alone since I was 16 months old. He taught us how to track, hunt, start a fire, sharpen blades, locate water springs, direction and time from the sun and trees, how to fight (when, not to, and why), first aid, field dressings, mechanics, drafting, drawing, painting, swimming, mining, logging, riding a bike, metallurgy, reading, writing, singing, baking, grilling, carpentry, pool, darts, arm wrestling and so much more.

Mainly sacrifice, patience, understanding, forgiveness and responsibilities.

I'm sorry to hear that others here have strained relationships with their fathers.

One thing to consider.. We are all grown men here. Whether your father was there or not, you learned a valuable lesson about who and who not to be. Your father gave you a life of your own. You didn't ask to be born, and in some instances neither did your father, vice versa.. None of us are meant or could even possibly live up to our father's name. It's up to us to make a name for ourselves.

ProjectMayhem - My dad doesn't drink, do drugs, commit crime or be physically violent. But he is a narcissist, and it is exhausting to deal with. It is impossible for him to admit to any fault or wrong doing whatsoever. He sees the whole world as being stupid, and only he knows the right way things that should be done.
I learned to limit my contact with him.

HOLY SHIT... we have the same dad!!!!  He gets pissed off and starts fight when people don’t agree with him or if they claim that they know what they should be doing. He always throws the word “expert” around. He’s an expert at everything and we’re all idiots. If I can say humbly, it’s the complete opposite. My mom learned to ignore this behavior because she’s incredible and basically raised me and my brother on her own. 

Was your your dad by chance raised solo by his mom? My dad never met his father and never had any fatherly influence so I wonder if that’s a reason for him being a little bitch. 

Just remember THAT GUY was the one your mother decided was the one who should knock her up. Douchebags get laid a lot more than non douchebags.....

Harlow's Rhesus - "He wasn’t a monster to them the way he was to me through my younger years."

Prime example of why the OG has gone to shit. This post is total garbage

Mine is not a drug user or an alcholic, hes just a sociopath. He will use anyone and anything to get what he wants. What is the worst part is he usually gets it.

He only hangs out with rich people who give him things or is a use to him in some way. One time one of his friends company went under and he and his family fell on hard times. At this point my father totally cut him off. What made it bad was that I was friends with the 2 sons of this guy and would hang out with them alot. After my father stopped hanging around them they would always ask me how he was doing and to give them a call. It would place me ina weird spot because I knew my father no longer had an interest in their family anymore. A friend is always there and my father is not that type of person.

Also dont disagree with the man on anything. If he knew you didnt agree with him on something he will have his argument planned out. Like to a scary level. He practices his arguments with people to himself. I have seen him do it. He will argue as himself and then he will pretend to be you. He will bring up the points you will bring up so that he can plan on how to counter them. I seen him do this in front of the mirror and in his car all by himself.

Back when I was just a dumb highschooler who didnt know anything about cars, I relied on my father for information. He gave me some bad advice one time and it cost me in repairs. He told me to take my car to his friend who owned a few shops. I trusted him and his friend and I was stupid to do so. They told me the car was done. That its not worth the money to fix. So I sold the car to his friend as a parts car. A few years later I got word that his friend fixed the car and resold it. My father knew about this the whole time and used this to pay off a debt to the guy at the cost of my car.

After that I went and bought another car. To go pick up this car my father gave me and my GF who was living with me at the time a ride to pick it up. As I bought the car and left my GF in the car with my dad all he did was talk shit on me. Saying "IDK why Dion is buying this car for that much. Its a good car but hes over paying. You know how much I got this truck for (he was talking about the truck he was driving us in)? 3k, thats it. Now hes buying that car for 4k. Who seems to have got the better deal lol". Who talks shit about their own son to his son's GF?

Then there was the time he won this Citizenship Award. Its an award thats given out to people around the state for doing great things for their communities. See he coaches a little league football team and hes the president of it. Has done this for years. Ill give him credit. It really is a good thing. Hes done some great work and has helped alot of kids. I used to coach for them aswell but I had to leave because I could no longer coach with him. When someone wins this award they are put on the local news and get interviews. Everyone who is part of these teams were interviewed to talk about him. The News people wanted to interview me but I declined. I said "Its his day, I should not be in front of the camera. Give him some screen time.". This made my father upset. He didnt like anyone not going on TV to sing his praises. Every coach who didnt give and interview were told "well that was weird of you all to not want to go on TV. I find that strange?". He was clearly upset at us who didnt.

The show is all about him. The by-laws for the teams used to be that a president can't stay as the president but for so long. He had the rules changed to where he can hold the position for as long as he likes unless hes voted out. People have risen up to try and become the president. Many claimed that money has vanished that should be there. When this happens the voting is a mockery. People show up to vote that never attend any of the meeting before and vote in favor of my father. Like I said, I coached with him for years so I know that these people only came to vote. They never take any interest in the teams unless its time for a president vote.

Since I have left he has wanted me to come back and coach with him. I turn him down everytime and he flys off the handle. He cant take being told no. He says he wants to pass the organization off to me one day. To me this is weird as fuck. Its a community little league football team. Its not some company that you can just pass off to your kids. You are voted in and out. He view this as his. Something he owns and can do with as he pleases.

The weird thing is this, HE'S NEVER PLAYED TEAM FOOTBALL A DAY IN HIS LIFE. Not even little league. His knowledge of football is lacking. Like really lacking. He does not even know the complete WR route tree. Now if you dont know football this may not sound like a big deal to you but this is 101 level stuff here. Whenever we get a coach who actually know the game, he does his best to run the coach off. He cant stand having a person around who knows more about the game then he does. We once had this coach who used to be the kicking coach for the Giants back in the day. He used to help put our HS from time to time and he just wanted to help us aswell. Does my dad accept his help? No, his reason is "We dont coach our kids like that. We dont bring in outside coaching for help. We keep it in house.". Im like WTF? This is an NFL level coach here.

I used to get into argueing matches with him all the time because he just does not know his shit. I just could not stand it. I had to walk away because he would not let me actually teach the kids how to play the correct way.

my pops is like the best father ever and the worst father ever.

DaveFu -

Just remember THAT GUY was the one your mother decided was the one who should knock her up. Douchebags get laid a lot more than non douchebags.....

Never said momma made good choices. She had a drug problem herself.

Mine abandoned me before I was born.

Next one was a violent alcoholic who beat the shit out of my mom,then came after me....

Although I’m a recovering alcoholic/drug addict,I was never physically abusive.

I have an awesome relationship with my daughters.....proud of that

BIG WIN

murfamurph -

You sound like a codependent. Grow some balls and don't take shit from anyone in your life.

you sound like someone which does not understand "loyalty and respect"

ProjectMayhem - My dad doesn't drink, do drugs, commit crime or be physically violent. But he is a narcissist, and it is exhausting to deal with. It is impossible for him to admit to any fault or wrong doing whatsoever. He sees the whole world as being stupid, and only he knows the right way things that should be done.
I learned to limit my contact with him.

He sees the whole world as being stupid, and only he knows the right way things that should be done.----

this made me LOL