Anyone remember Battlecade?

Was this were Gary Myers lost to Carlos Barretto?

If I remember he was Beating Barretto until there was a BS standup,and Barretto benefitted from it and won.

love the video!

peretti deserves a lot of credit for helping mma transition into what it is today!

thanx john!!
jeremy

pierrot lunaire - 
Carlton Fist - Anyone know more about Carl Franks? I believe he was an early Relson jiu-jitsu guy out of Hawaii and did some silat. had some wins over a few early UFC guys.

Carl was much much better than he showed in that fight. He was not at all physically healthy going in and never should have taken the fight.

Carl did have a stroke later and I am not sure if he ever recovered from it or what he is doing now.

Since I knew him personally, I will tell you that Carl was a natural 170 or so. He for some reason got involved with some bodybuilder types and miraculously ballooned up to over 220. I consider him the sport's first casualty of PHDs as i suspect his health problems were due to his use of said supplements.
Carl was a great guy.  He was one of the original students of Relson's back in the late 80's & early 90's, and a true martial artist.  Back then when everyone was on the jiu-jitsu bandwagon, Carl was always cross-training.  I think his original art was Pencak Silat but he did some Muay Thai as well, in addition to BJJ.  I took a few private lessons with him to learn more about Silat since he liked it so much.  It really was a tragedy when he had a stroke.

who is this Carl guy, and who did he fought in Battlecade?

glanville's chick was smokin hot. gary myers put him out with a forearm across the throat on just on side.

number three was released i had it on video tape and gave it away.

I still wish I could get a dvd of #4.

is this the one where Jame Warring held onto Eric Paulson's hair FTW?

pandrews76 - is this the one where Jame Warring held onto Eric Paulson's hair FTW?

No... that was the WCC, World Combat Championships. That's also the one where Renzo steps on Ben Spijkers neck after the win.

Max

conwaytitty - glanville's chick was smokin hot. gary myers put him out with a forearm across the throat on just on side.

number three was released i had it on video tape and gave it away.

Myers did hold the elbow there but he also headbutted Glanville 3 times causing him to tap.

ttt

Slapsymaxi - 
pandrews76 - is this the one where Jame Warring held onto Eric Paulson's hair FTW?

No... that was the WCC, World Combat Championships. That's also the one where Renzo steps on Ben Spijkers neck after the win.

Max

ahh yes, that was it, the good ole days..

ironheartcrown - 
pierrot lunaire - 
Carlton Fist - Anyone know more about Carl Franks? I believe he was an early Relson jiu-jitsu guy out of Hawaii and did some silat. had some wins over a few early UFC guys.

Carl was much much better than he showed in that fight. He was not at all physically healthy going in and never should have taken the fight.

Carl did have a stroke later and I am not sure if he ever recovered from it or what he is doing now.

Since I knew him personally, I will tell you that Carl was a natural 170 or so. He for some reason got involved with some bodybuilder types and miraculously ballooned up to over 220. I consider him the sport's first casualty of PHDs as i suspect his health problems were due to his use of said supplements.
Carl was a great guy.  He was one of the original students of Relson's back in the late 80's & early 90's, and a true martial artist.  Back then when everyone was on the jiu-jitsu bandwagon, Carl was always cross-training.  I think his original art was Pencak Silat but he did some Muay Thai as well, in addition to BJJ.  I took a few private lessons with him to learn more about Silat since he liked it so much.  It really was a tragedy when he had a stroke.

I forgot to mention that Carl was involved with the Dog Brothers early on in their group's existence. I think they credited him with introducing BJJ to the group.

Ralph Gracie was a monster. I wish he never took that long break.

Extreme Fighting 3 and 4 were the greatness.

Kenny Monday and Kevin Jackson were the most accomplished wrestlers to come into the sport and made their debut at #4.

Mixed in there you had Conan/Mo Smith, Lober/Igor, Hume/Miletich, Jackson/Lober, Monday/John Lewis.

It was a shame when this promotion went away. Their last two shows were really great to watch for that era.

Yeah found a video of it at Walmart or something.

Hume vs Paulson

Hume vs Miletich

Mo Smith vs Conan

Mo Smith KO's (kills) Japanese Judo champion

Igor vs Sperry

Igor vs Lober

Paulson vs Nelson (shootfighitng guy)

Monday vs Lewis

They had some very good fights, entertaining and ahead of their time

Did I mention they had Penthouse pets as ring card girls :)

Budo videos has 1-4 all on one dvd, its PAL though so you will need an all region player.

pierrot- The Dog Brothers connection explains the Silat then, thanks. I know they reference the De Thouars brothers and Dan Inosanto has long studied with them.

ironheartcrown- thanks. Always loved that your org had the Shooto connection here in the US.

I have all of these on VHS somewhere...now if I only had a VHS player, LOLS!

Whatever happened to Igor Zinoviev?  I was sooooo pumped for the Frank vs. Igor fight back in the day, and after that cringe-inducing slam I never heard what happened to him.

Such a badass, that guy was.

He is alive and well and running a school in NYC.